Runningpotleaf
05-08-2015, 12:10 PM
as part of the "Music and Movies" series

http://www.walkerart.org/calendar/2015/gary-louris-and-friends-barbarella

Date July 27, 2015
Time 7 pm
Place Loring Park
Price Free

Music begins at 7 pm; movies begin at dusk (approximately 8:45 pm). In case of rain, events move to the Walker Cinema.

Icehaid
05-16-2015, 10:55 AM
Gotta love the Spinal Tap-esque billing:

"Gary Louris and Friends with Barbarella" :D

axeeugene
05-17-2015, 12:15 PM
Gotta love the Spinal Tap-esque billing:

"Gary Louris and Friends with Barbarella" :D

"If I've told them ONCE, I've told them a HUNDRED times - Gary Louris FIRST, Barbarella SECOND..."

I asked Gary's Twitter person if Simon LeBon was booked as guest vocalist for that gig.

sacred roots
07-17-2015, 01:02 PM
Reminder: 10 days from now, "Gary Louris and Friends" play in Loring Park in Mpls for a music and movies deal.

2 things of note:

1) The first names of Gary's "friends" for this show are: Marc, Tim, Karen and Kraig.

2) new songs

Pray for good weather.

http://www.walkerart.org/calendar/2015/gary-louris-and-friends-barbarella

axeeugene
07-27-2015, 12:50 PM
What about our good friend Jimmy B.? Is he gonna pop in? Isn't it about time he gets made an official Jayhawk?

axeeugene
07-28-2015, 11:41 AM
Short but delightful little set in the waning sunlight at Loring Park last night. Lots of new songs. I have it on good authority an actual review with a setlist is forthcoming...although I'm sure things are already hoppin' on the newfangled FB page.

CaffeineZombie
07-28-2015, 01:19 PM
Gary Louris "and friends"
Walker Art Center's Summer Music & Movies 2015
Loring Park - Minneapolis, MN
July 27, 2015

I'd Run Away
Stumbling Through The Dark
Useless Creatures *
Lovers Of The Sun *
Waiting For The Sun
Isabel's Daughter *
Need You Tonight (full band version)
Ace *
I'm Gonna Make You Love Me (GL on Telecaster)
Quiet Corners And Empty Spaces *
Pretty Roses In Your Hair * (Kraig on keyboards)
Blue
Comeback Kids * (Kraig on harmonica during chorus)
Save It For A Rainy Day
9 More Days *
Tailspin

* = new songs

sacred roots
07-29-2015, 11:31 AM
Steve Cohen photo set (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153172693873402.1073741829.38457978401&type=3)

Ordinarygirl
07-29-2015, 11:48 AM
Perfect weather, perfect setting. So nice to hear songs I wasn't sure I'd ever hear again.

I loved that the crowd gave them a standing ovation after the set. And, it was obvious that many people were there for the music because like us they left before the movie. (hey, it was a Monday after all. Barbarella would've been past my bedtime).

Looking forward to the new album.

LanceManion1973
07-29-2015, 03:56 PM
Why weren't they billed as The Jayhawks?

sacred roots
07-29-2015, 07:42 PM
Why weren't they billed as The Jayhawks?

The main reason is that the promoter's budget for this series isn't big enough to book artists at The Jayhawks level so it was originally booked as a Gary solo show a few months ago. Gary wasn't sure exactly what he was going to do until just a few weeks ago when somebody got the bright idea that a stealth-y unannounced Jayhawks show would be a good way to test out some new material that the band has been working very hard on over the last month. They ended up playing 9 new songs (out of 16) - very impressive considering the songs are still quite early in their development and many of the arrangements just materialized a few days before the show.

Plus, secret gigs are always kinda fun, especially when it's a free show in a park in front of a few thousand people. :)

ChiefCrowe
07-30-2015, 12:43 PM
That is very awesome. How are the new songs? Worthy to make a new album?

mykstermagic
08-01-2015, 06:49 AM
This is beyond cool - the thing I like best about this is the fact that by doing these short notice, unannounced type sets it screams "we are a band and we are having fun" - which augers well for the future. You can feel the positivity from the stage - I cant wait for the new record, and I hope they finally make one that gets the more widespread attention they deserve.