PDA

View Full Version : Gary at Chicago City Winery: May 15th

djack
05-07-2015, 09:29 PM
Tweedy's playing his all-request Youth Scholarship Benefit show at the Vic the same night. Anybody hear any rumors of a potential get-together? I don't think either have official plans the night before or after. I missed the surprise "KJJ and Friends" show after the first Jayhawks / Downers Grove gig a few months ago, and definitely don't want to miss a Gary / Jeff meet-up!

bryguy
05-08-2015, 09:55 AM
nice. that would be an incredible evening.

sacred roots
05-11-2015, 06:33 PM
Kraig Johnson will be opening for Gary at the City Winery - double the pleasure, double the fun.

Also, there are two contests to give away a pair of tickets to the show - one on the Gary FB page and one on the Jayhawks FB page. Winners will be picked on Tuesday evening 7pm CDT.

Icehaid
05-16-2015, 10:21 AM
Great show last night - his playing, voice, and banter were in fine form. :) Lots of new songs, as noted below. Also, great news on the new Jayhawks record front - the band is putting together songs in the studio (some by just jamming out!) and the process has been enjoyable thus far.

Kraig made for a terrific opener. I was really impressed with his acoustic playing. When he's on stage with the Jayhawks, his acoustic parts are generally limited to a lot of rhythm-based strumming, so it was cool for him to be able to showcase his chops in last night's setting. He played several new songs that I didn't know the titles to, but closed his set with "The Sun Is Signed & Sealed" and a cover of Neil Young's "Heart of Gold" (with a shout out to PD, who drove him down to Chicago).

Gary's set:

I'm Gonna Make You Love Me
Stumbling Through the Dark
I'll Be Your Key (sung high - "like Chris Bell") *new*
Quiet Corners and Empty Spaces *new*
SOCMOS
Save It for a Rainy Day
All the Right Reasons
Omaha Nights
SOL
Nine More Days *new*
Waiting for the Sun
Settled Down Like Rain
Everybody Knows
In Every Window (Au Pair song) *new*
Never Letting Go *new*
Mr. Updike *new*
Blue (w/ Kraig)
Angelyne (w/ Kraig)
Tailspin (w/ Kraig)

Gone (per the request of yours truly)
The Greatest Longshot *new* (although he's been playing this for a while)
I'd Run Away (w/ Kraig)
Until You Came Along (w/ Kraig)

ChiefCrowe
05-17-2015, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the recap. Cannot wait for some new albums from these guys!!!