PDA

View Full Version : New Jayhawks Live Album!

ChiefCrowe
02-11-2015, 03:54 PM
Thought it could use its own thread

http://www.bellyupmusic.com/download-store/shows/show/483

GIBSONSG
02-11-2015, 04:51 PM
Listening now :D

Oleo
02-11-2015, 11:22 PM
So glad they decided to be a part of this series! The Belly Up Tavern does great live downloads. I went to this show and really hoped the band would authorize it.

wheelhousetunes
02-12-2015, 10:22 AM
Yes, it sounds great. Never knew they did downloads. Might have to grab the Mother Hips one.

zebulon
02-12-2015, 01:45 PM
Downloading it right now. Thanks for it! :) Will this eventually come in any other format? Such as vinyl or cd? Love them.

mykstermagic
02-12-2015, 06:19 PM
Excellent recording and great show. Good job by the venue on this. Really enjoying the shows I have come across from this tour, and the show I saw in Liverpool.

I still wish that a dvd would surface of this tour - especially the Yahoo Live set that was webcast - or something from the Minneapolis shows. Too good to not be captured for posterity.

bryguy
02-12-2015, 10:19 PM
Wooooooooooooooooooo!

JDN
02-14-2015, 08:35 AM
Really enjoying this show. I haven't been keeping close tabs but has there been any new material slipping into this tour? It would be awesome to get a new LP with this line up- they are definitely in great form right now.

bryguy
02-14-2015, 05:13 PM
Really enjoying this show. I haven't been keeping close tabs but has there been any new material slipping into this tour? It would be awesome to get a new LP with this line up- they are definitely in great form right now.

No new songs in the set so far. Kraig says they have done some writing, but nothing has made its way into the sets (so far as I know).

bryguy
02-14-2015, 05:17 PM
This really was a great show. I'm bummed that it's pretty trimmed down to just the songs. There was a lot of fun moments that aren't presented here- like when they played Angelyn mega fast for fun. All the same, I am So glad that the band released this. SO glad.

ChiefCrowe
02-16-2015, 03:34 PM
Loving this so far!

We can only hope that one day they have a pro shot concert film released!

Jebe11
02-18-2015, 05:31 AM
Downloading it right now. Thanks for it! :) Will this eventually come in any other format? Such as vinyl or cd? Love them.

Anybody know why they aren't offering the concert in an uncompressed digital format such as FLAC (16 bit/44.1Khz)? I assume the concert was recorded and mastered in Hi-Rez and saved as an mp3 for downloads.

ungere
02-18-2015, 03:31 PM
Wonder why they cut some songs from the set?

Full set:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-jayhawks/2015/belly-up-tavern-solana-beach-ca-3bcaac68.html

I'm Gonna Make You Love Me
The Man Who Loved Life
Ain't No End
Big Star
Stumbling Through the Dark
Angelyne
Take Me With You (When You Go)
Looking Forward to Seeing You
(Golden Smog cover)
Ohio
Smile
Tampa To Tulsa
Waiting for the Sun
Jennifer Save Me
(Golden Smog cover)
Blue
Last Cigarette
Real Light
Save It For A Rainy Day
Tailspin
Tailspin (Inbred Version)
I'd Run Away
Encore:
Sound of Lies
All the Right Reasons
Settled Down Like Rain
Sedan Delivery
(Neil Young cover)
Until You Came Along
(Golden Smog cover)

Oleo
02-18-2015, 08:31 PM
Setlist has it slightly wrong. They definitely didn't play Real Light at the Belly Up and I don't recall the inbred version of Tailspin either. They probably cut Sedan Delivery to avoid paying Neil Young and everything else is probably to get it to a length that would fit on one CD, though I'm not sure why.

sacred roots
02-18-2015, 09:40 PM
The format of this "release" was set by the "label," in this case Belly Up Live. They are relatively new at this and their business plan is evolving. Traditionally the shows they've offered have been limited to 60 minutes. They've never offered full shows; rather they've aimed to create a good "fan experience" by picking the best of the best rather than a warts and all concept. In other words, these are intended to be a "live album" rather than a full show kind of deal. In this case, everyone was so impressed with the performance that a decision was made to expand the offering. Some of the tracks were nixed for either technical or performance reasons (the band has total control over the track selection). In the end, we settled on 19 tracks and added "Last Cigarette" at the last minute due to Karen's lobbying. It's a sheer coincidence that it ended up around 80 minutes (it's actually slightly over).

Sedan Delivery almost made the cut. Covers are absolutely allowed (Last Cigarette is a cover) and mechanical royalties are paid on everything. Especially in the 60 minute format, most artists understandably prefer to showcase their originals rather than covers.

The Belly Up professionally records these shows - full multitrack with very good engineering, mixing and production. It's a significantly better product than your run of the mill "official bootleg." Anyone who has heard this will attest to the high sound quality, even in MP3 form. Speaking of which, they are encoded at 320K - the highest possible bit rate for the format. I burned this download to a CD and A/B-ed them with the lossless versions on a very high quality system and I'm here to tell you that if you're not buying this because of MP3-phobia, you're really missing out. I can guarantee you that the vast majority of people who hear this will not be able to tell that these are "low quality" files. If you can, congrats - you've got very good ears.

Having said that, I pointed out to the Belly Up folks that there are those who really want lossless versions of this show and they are currently looking into this. It obviously would be just as easy to offer a FLAC version as a MP3 version. Other than increased bandwidth costs, it's the exact same process. Hopefully there will be some good news soon in this department.

Same goes for physical products. These releases by Belly Up Live have, up to this point, been download only and, with a few exceptions, haven't been offered anywhere outside of their site. Because of the success so far of the Jayhawks release they are also looking into the possibility of a physical release. There obviously would be a lot more to this than offering a FLAC download but it certainly is doable.

All in all, the good news is twofold. 1) This really is a great live album, in whatever format it exists and 2) The quality of this product - performance and recording - is such that this could very well be a game changer for Belly Up Live, further testament to just how good the band has been in concert over the last several months.

ungere
02-18-2015, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the details!

I noticed they are offering a recent Matthew Sweet show and plan to get it too.

CaffeineZombie
05-16-2016, 09:52 PM
I hope the Belly Up records the band again when they play there in July!