PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Entertainment...

JoMama
02-01-2015, 04:25 PM
Okay, I'm sure I told y'all about doing a non-internet "Rick Roll"---handing an unsuspecting person in the record shop a Rick Astley CD upside down and watching them cringe like they're being stalked by a guy who drives a white van and lives in his mom's basement...

Look, some people just don't know how to get their money's worth. Here's my secret: I picked up a used CD by Helloween called "Chameleon" knowing full well is was after the "Keepers..." era without Kai Hansen, but unaware how truly bad it actually was. So, anyway, there's a way to get your money's worth on a bad album by a once-good band: Once you've established in your listening that there are very few fans of a band that would have felt good about giving up their cash for a pile of garbage, it's time to see how many people have the same perspective. Pull up a chair and start clicking your mouse over to Amazon, and read the 1-star reviews and go from there. People giving this album its props--there's nothing like it. One guy said he threw it out of the car on a freeway and watched in his mirror to see how many people ran it over. So much for getting a few bucks back at the used record shop when the metalheads aren't working... 20 minutes reading those reviews, and then working my way up to the 5-star reviews is one of life's rarely-mentioned pleasures. it takes away some of the pain to hear just how much "inspiration" can come from a truly rotten record.

JoMama
08-19-2015, 07:34 PM
As for cheap entertainment, Asheville is full of it. We have "professional" street people here. Vagabonds, people who read Kerouac and have decided to live off the grid, people who won't use money instead they'll trade goods and services for a place to flop and a bite to eat. One of the last strongholds of that old "free" America is found right here on the streets, under the bridges, and even in parking lots where people come up to you and have a classic "Look man, I'm not homeless, I just need some change for those chicken wings on special down the street...". People are creative and they're saving me money sharing their creativity without putting it in a gallery...