PDA

View Full Version : Jayhawks Shrine

jebstuart
01-12-2015, 12:30 AM
I just added to my man cave with some great Jayhawks décor. Anyone else have a Jayhawks shrine? Really enjoyed the show I saw in the fall. If you can go and see them as they tour the west coast. Might be a while before we see them again. Lets hope the Jayhawks head back to the studio some day. It seems to me that the band has more gas in the tank. These guys are not Poco and just trying to hang on. Gary and the gang have yet to make some of their very best music.

ChiefCrowe
01-12-2015, 02:09 AM
Impressive.. i don't have nearly that amount of stuff!

mystic_spiral_3
01-12-2015, 08:55 PM
I don't have a shrine, but I do have framed Mockingbird Time and Another Fine Day posters as well as the Smog Story poster.

I do have many show write-ups on my computer, but these are all bands I've seen, not just Jayhawks.

ChiefCrowe
01-12-2015, 09:39 PM
If you have the one from your first jayhawks show, I'd love to read it!

I don't have a shrine, but I do have framed Mockingbird Time and Another Fine Day posters as well as the Smog Story poster.

I do have many show write-ups on my computer, but these are all bands I've seen, not just Jayhawks.

mystic_spiral_3
01-14-2015, 09:12 PM
Unfortunately, my first Jayhawks concert predates my note-taking and write-up writing. :( I think my first Jayhawks write-up was for my 3rd time seeing them.

bryguy
01-15-2015, 12:09 AM
I have one of Olson's sweater vests. Priceless :-)

ChiefCrowe
01-15-2015, 12:40 AM
I wouldn't mind reading that one either if you can post on here.

Unfortunately, my first Jayhawks concert predates my note-taking and write-up writing. :( I think my first Jayhawks write-up was for my 3rd time seeing them.

mystic_spiral_3
01-16-2015, 09:17 PM
Ask and ye shall receive. This show was from the Cities 97 Concert in the Park, 9/15/01. As you can see, it was just a few days after 9/11. There were 6 acts total, so I copied and pasted the Jayhawks part below. I was 23 then, and my writing has become less giddy and less fangirly the older I get. Anyway, enjoy Chief Crowe! :)
-------------------------------------------------------------

Before each act performed, at least one member was interviewed and this could be seen on the big TV screen for the people that are too far away to see well. Gary Louris was the Jayhawk interviewed. He was holding his son Henry during the interview, and introduced the crowd watching to little Henry. That was so, so sweet, to see Gary bouncing his son in his arms. Awww. Anyway, Gary explained that their keyboard player Jen was in Raleigh, NC, and their new guitar player was somewhere else, I forget where. Gary didn’t think it was fair to put his band members in possible danger to get them to the show, so he said it was just himself, Tim, and Marc. He made mention of either already working on a new album or planning to, it was hard to hear at that point. He did say they had some new songs.

Man, have I missed the Jayhawks…I haven’t seen them in almost 3 years. Even with only three of them they still kicked ass! I don’t know if anyone else picked up on this, but to me the Jayhawks seemed to pick a number of songs hinting at the tragedies earlier in the week, and also hinting at hope. Maybe this will come across as I list the songs:

Real Light—“Keep my real light shining.” Good opener, and also good advice to everyone to stay serious, but hopeful. It’s also one of my more favorite ‘Hawks songs.

Ain’t No End—Gary played harmonica on this one. I almost did not recognize this song, and it made me happy that I played my “Blue Earth” cd that contains this song the other night.

Somewhere in Ohio—This song has the line “Look out Joe I think the sky is falling.” That’s why I think it’s a song that hinted at the events of September 11. Good performance, also with Gary playing some harmonica.

Trouble—Self-explanatory reference. I really like this song, and enjoyed seeing it live and singing along to it.

Waiting for the Sun—also self-explanatory. One of my favorite songs off “Hollywood Town Hall,” and I think some sun was breaking through the clouds at this point. Very cool.

Smile—I love this song. I LOVE this song. If I’m feeling sad, I can play this and feel better. It’s like a song hug to me, corny as that sounds. I sure was smiling when they played this one; I think it’s my favorite off the album of the same title. I just find it uplifting and I think we all need some of that right now. Thanks Jayhawks!

Life Floats By—I like this song but I can never remember its title. I just know it as the “Thunder Bay was a drag, baby” song. Good to see this live, as since it’s been a long time since I’ve seen the ‘Hawks, I’ve not seen the “Smile” album songs live before.

Then they played a cover. I can’t tell you its name. I recall the lines “some old engine,” and I can tell you that Tim did a fine job of singing on this one. I assume it’s a cover.

Then they played another one, which I will call “Guitar Charlie’s got the Blues,” as that’s the line I remember most, and it sounds like a title, in my opinion. I assume this is a cover too, as there was a woman nearby who looked about ten years older than me and was singing along to most of the words. I have not heard this before. Good song, though.

Blue—I love this song too. This was the first Jayhawks song I ever heard, the song that made me take notice of this band. I pretty much fell in love with that song in 1995. I love hearing it live. It’s one of my favorite songs from this band. It was cool to hear the whole crowd singing too.

Baby, Baby, Baby—Again, good to hear another one off the “Smile” album, as I missed out on last year’s tour. They just had to come to Iowa/Illinois when I was in Pittsburgh.

After this Gary asked the tech guys how much time he had. Some audience member yelled, “Ya got 2 hours!” Gary thanked him.

You Look So Young—this is a new song, and this is the phrase I choose to be its title as I write. This was a pretty new song, and it made me excited for more Jayhawks songs and an album. It was sadly sweet.

Take Me With You When You Go—This was performed with special guest Dan Murphy of Soul Asylum. I thought it would be cool for SA and the Jayhawks to just have a big long jam session set together, but that did not happen. Still it was cool to see Dan perform with the ‘Hawks. He also did that at a ‘Hawks show I saw in 1997.

Until You Came Along—a Golden Smog song performed with “Golden Smog Charter Member” Dan Murphy. I loved seeing this. This is one of my favorite GS tunes, and I’ve never been able to see a GS concert. This almost made up for that, a great performance with a lot of photo opportunities.

I’m Gonna Make You Love Me—a happy song and a great way to close the set. This is probably my second-favorite song off the “Smile” album, brought back memories of requesting it on the radio in Pittsburgh during a late night of studying. It was great to finally hear this one live.

jebstuart
01-19-2015, 01:33 PM
I share your enthusiasm for all of these songs. They are terrific and sound great 15 years later. Smile is one of those albums that is very special to me. It sounds even better on vinyl played very loud on my super duper mega stereo. There are so many layers to the music and those guys can pull off that great sound live too.