PDA

View Full Version : New York show - some thoughts!

ohwellokay
10-29-2014, 07:06 PM
i have seen the jayhawks probably 30 times. all incarnations except I got in late (1993!). but have seen every local appearance since, through every lineup change, solo shows, the acoustic trio, the acoustic duo with mark; the full reunion!

but to echo what many others have said - this lineup and era are just amazing. A +! And I don't give that rating out often. I am not a blind loyalist. But I was truly blown away about last night for a few reasons:

- lots of smiles on the stage. I hate bands that are going through the motions. a real sense of enthusiasm that I feel like I didn't always see with them. a few road-weary yawns, but they seemed to really be enjoying themselves.

- I love drinking and smoking and playing guitar and love when you get in that "zone" musically. But as a guitar guy I have to say Gary's sobriety has really shown in his lead playing and solos. Some of the best stuff I have heard him play. He sounded sloppy at points during the reunion shows and in retrospect he sort of admitted why. I think it is inspiring. As others have said, he looks like a true rock star with the Flying V.

- I truly don't think the Jayhawks would have survived this long without tim. I feel like he never gets enough credit. He always sounds "on" to me in terms of harmonies.

- not sure if they have been doing it at other shows but there was a cool moment during until you came along where Marc was in the back playing bass and Gary grabbed him to come and join him and kraig around 1 mic. I think someone posted a pic on twitter. I am not on twitter. which is why I am posting this review on a message board like Sound of Lies came out last week!

-last but not least. I kept turning to my wife and saying "adult contemporary" huh? The best part of this band is they are truly undefinable. The kid at my liquor store asked me "what do they sound like"? I named like 10 bands. They are a rock band - and can rock hard in places. And really proved it in a big way again last night (and I guess all these other nights). besides the heavy sound of lies material Kraig dominated on neil young's sedan delivery. The band can do it all. It has been a great couple of years to be a jayhawks fan. I hope it keeps going. Gary - take that next solo record and let this band have at it. See you in 2016!

CaffeineZombie
10-29-2014, 07:15 PM
- not sure if they have been doing it at other shows but there was a cool moment during until you came along where Marc was in the back playing bass and Gary grabbed him to come and join him and kraig around 1 mic. I think someone posted a pic on twitter. I am not on twitter. which is why I am posting this review on a message board like Sound of Lies came out last week!

Thanks for the review! :)

Found a video:

Until You Came Along (live at Town Hall) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWQIdh1nb-0)

ohwellokay
10-29-2014, 07:33 PM
thanks! ain't technology great? My memory is pretty good but this is better.

bryguy
10-30-2014, 12:22 AM
okay, just watched the video. WHAT A BLAST!!!!! that was just a party on stage.

I agree 100%, this band NEEDS TO MAKE A RECORD!! Gary's got all kinds of stuff written he has said- make it a Hawks record. You get that vibe on tape and it would be magical!

JoMama
10-30-2014, 06:06 AM
100% agreed here. Beautiful review--similar sentiment here after the Asheville show. A band slightly tired from a few nights in a row but all of them still wandering around talking to people, taking photos after the show. Gary even showed up before the show at our table, chatting and cracking jokes. :)

ohwellokay
10-30-2014, 08:15 PM
http://youtu.be/hYFEt3efJwc?list=UUGGq-Id9nMbijnPykYp392A

great vid here from the next night. looking for more jayhawk vids and realized same person who added until you came along above has a lot more goodness. wondering who is this coney island girl? back to back jayhawks nights? jackson browne at beacon and ryan adams?

see for yourself: great https://www.youtube.com/user/coneyislandgirl930/videos

wheelhousetunes
10-31-2014, 09:05 AM
Yeah, those are cool videos. "Trouble" sounds amazing. The band is really nailing it.

unknown steps
11-03-2014, 07:53 AM
I agree, likeI said about the Indy show, they just seemed happy to be there playing. I know no one has said it yet...but does "live album" ever cross anyone's mind?

wheelhousetunes
11-03-2014, 08:59 AM
Good idea on the live release. They should get in touch with livedownloads.com to at least release a few of these shows...

bryguy
11-03-2014, 10:41 AM
In a post some time back, I asked PD if the band had talked about doing a proper filming and do a DVD release- I'm not sure if he saw it. I think it would be so great to capture this tour in a quality form.