PDA

View Full Version : Smile....overlooked,underappreciated, and fantastic!

jebstuart
10-13-2014, 09:57 PM
Well I celebrated Columbus Day with a package of new vinyl. All three of the new reissues arrived! I already had Sound of Lies and Rainy Day vinyl from way back. I had not listened to Smile on the phonograph player before. No one has. So I put the record on for a spin. Adjusted a few dials and sat back and enjoyed. I started out with Bob Ezrin's liner notes and that was fun. Making that record sounds like a good time to be a Jayhawk. All of the songs just were awesome. I heard sounds that I did not really pick up on before. Much more than a pop record which is what I always considered Smile to be. Like most Jayhawk albums this should have been a smash in sales. I remember when it came out a long time ago many of my Jayhawks fans friends never caught on to Smile. But I always enjoyed it very much. I thought the bonus side was very good too. Was not expecting that. "Who Made You King" is a great song. There were some weak tracks on Smile. This one should have been in there from the start. "Gypsy In The Mood" is so tantalizing. I can't believe it just stopped with a car horn beep. Reminds me of Russian Hill from Jellyfish. The packaging was very good. I always wondered about the album cover? Is there a story behind this? I will spin the other two records tomorrow. But I expect I will be getting back to Smile on a regular basis. This is a sonic masterpiece to me.

jacieb
10-13-2014, 11:15 PM
I love it.

bryguy
10-14-2014, 11:24 AM
This is my favorite album by the Hawks.The songwriting is amazing.

JoMama
10-14-2014, 08:50 PM
Just picked up the vinyl. The store is baffled about how to get the Olson album, even though they swear they've dealt with Glitterhouse releases in the past.
Oh well, the Ezrin liner notes are fun... I haven't spun the vinyl just yet because the turntable's not functioning at the moment. I have a friend who might have me over for an evening of vinyl spins if his girlfriend will loosen up the leash a wee bit...
The cartridge for my Bang/Olufsen is close to 200 dollars, but I'm snatching up vinyl anyway. Looking forward to Sunday, 3 miles from here.