PDA

View Full Version : new Mark Olson song from his upcoming album

CaffeineZombie
09-15-2014, 08:54 PM
Mark Olson - Poison Oleander (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msMbnwSZa6g)

J. Chamberlain
09-15-2014, 09:47 PM
LOL that really made me laugh out loud! I enjoyed the video very much, and aside from that, the song is excellent. I like Mark's economical use of words, from these first two "Good-bye Lizelle" tracks.

"Many Colored Kite" sounded like 42 minutes of "Ballad in Plain D" (IMHO). But this "Good-bye Lizellle" music, wow, everything flows together, without clutter, and when the song is over I want to hear it again.

The sound is very pleasant, even on dinky computer speakers. I really like what Mark and Ingunn are doing now. This truly is good stuff.

ChiefCrowe
09-15-2014, 10:56 PM
I thought it was ok, and the video was amusing. I'm not drawn to it like I was for Salvation Blues. We'll see how the rest of the album is.

greekguy
09-16-2014, 08:55 AM
*yawn

JoMama
09-16-2014, 09:00 AM
But this "Good-bye Lizellle" music, wow, everything flows together, without clutter, and when the song is over I want to hear it again.

The sound is very pleasant, even on dinky computer speakers. I really like what Mark and Ingunn are doing now. This truly is good stuff.

it will be interesting for sure. I'd give Many Colored Kite another whirl or two while you're waiting, lots of goodies on that one, but for sure, it's a grower.

greekguy
09-16-2014, 09:06 AM
Shouldn't this be in the OT section?

fortuleo
09-16-2014, 09:29 AM
The guitar part!!

sacred roots
09-16-2014, 11:44 AM
Interesting direction; can't think of anything quite like it in the Olson/Creekdippers catalog. I like the "psych folk" elements of the song - very much in my wheelhouse. However, I'm not real keen on Ingunn's bg vocals... maybe they'll grow on me. The video is very silly but I don't have a problem with that at all - it's quite charming.

Icehaid
09-16-2014, 05:19 PM
Glacier-boy's all giddy and out looking for a vintage typewriter.

Icehaid
09-16-2014, 05:19 PM
Interesting direction; can't think of anything quite like it in the Olson/Creekdippers catalog. I like the "psych folk" elements of the song - very much in my wheelhouse. However, I'm not real keen on Ingunn's bg vocals... maybe they'll grow on me. The video is very silly but I don't have a problem with that at all - it's quite charming.

I think it sucks. ;)

J. Chamberlain
09-16-2014, 08:46 PM
Interesting direction; can't think of anything quite like it in the Olson/Creekdippers catalog. I like the "psych folk" elements of the song -

It's kind of a "Folk-Pop" sound, to its credit. I can hear this kind of song being played at Starbucks. It's easy to listen to without being in the "Easy-Listening" genre. Gary could take a page from Mark's book here and it might benefit him. Just Sayin'.

And maybe "Many Colored Kite" was too visceral sounding for my tastes. I don't know what it is exactly. I can't wrap my head around the barrage of words, spilled out over "MCK," while seemingly great music is being played in the background. I should give it another spin. I have it on cd, and (*unopened) vinyl. *LOL. That's how much I didn't like it! "MCK" just sounds like it needs an editor or something.

Ingunn I do like, but not in the way that I would actually hit on her. I don't want Mark getting too upset here. I mean, if I actually knew her and she was single, that would be different. Anyway...I don't want Mark feeling like he wants to throw a typewriter at me next....

Btw, I would like to hear a "Replacements" influence on Gary's next Jayhawks' release. Something I noticed on Gary's facebook page....

And apparently Icehaid thinks this is a poop sound, not a "Pop" sound. I just can't get into "SOL" or "Smile" very much at all, honestly. But I don't know why we have to rehash all this stuff. I guess we can commence with calling each other names now. Let's get into a huge fight about it.

jebstuart
09-16-2014, 09:15 PM
I lost interest in Olson after Salvation Blues. That was a good one!. Many colored kite never did grab me. I think the new video is fun though. I hope Mark has a lot of success in the new record.

bryguy
09-16-2014, 09:21 PM
not sure what i think yet. interesting video- looks like they had fun filming it. They look happy to me. Good for them.

JoMama
09-16-2014, 10:06 PM
I lost interest in Olson after Salvation Blues. That was a good one!. Many colored kite never did grab me. I think the new video is fun though. I hope Mark has a lot of success in the new record.

When Mark toured Many Colored Kite, I was excited to hear the way the songs would come off live, since Ingunn wasn't in the country and he took his old Creekdipper mates with him. So I for sure gave this one a lot of listens in anticipation of the show. Only a couple songs jumped out on the first listen, but that's the charm of it. Listening because of those songs let the other songs reveal themselves slowly but for sure, they really come off as complete expressions.
This unfortunately is what keeps Mark from having a huge success, because we live in a pop culture universe, so sometimes we mistake a lower level of "success" as somehow less than something. We could not be further from the truth. Mark is more happy doing things within his muse and not forcing it. Some people just choose to not delve into his style, but even Gary is into some of the same stuff of the past that had this low-key charm. They've both talked highly of the Incredible String Band, for example, and that's a good example of Mark's current direction. After 'My Own Jo Ellen', he made some changes. Salvation Blues grew out of that stuff, but he's been in Europe, Eastern Europe, and some other places and picked up a bunch of obscure influences stylistically and in his approach to making music. Musicians dig that, but the masses tend to miss out.
That's just today's 32 cents. :)

bryguy
09-16-2014, 10:37 PM
...because we live in a pop culture universe, so sometimes we mistake a lower level of "success" as somehow less than something.

I don't think you'll find that thinking here here at least. We can all agree that the Hawks have not had the success we think they should, but none of us would view their body of work as less than something.

I'll keep listening to the new stuff- and I'll watch the video again, if nothing more just to see Mark and Ingunn having such a good time. The guy loves what what he's doing, which in some ways is probably sweeter than success- you just gotta pay the bills too :-)

J. Chamberlain
09-16-2014, 11:15 PM
Yeah, the song just reminded me of the word "Pop" for some reason. I wouldn't even call it that, necessarily. Mark's new sound is interesting and fun. I do listen to other music that is literally considered "Pop" because I like the "R&B" influence featured in some of today's "Hits." These new Mark songs are approachable, put it that way. I would like to hear Gary do some "R&B" stuff.

Brown Jenkin
09-17-2014, 12:25 AM
It's kind of a "Folk-Pop" sound, to its credit. I can hear this kind of song being played at Starbucks. It's easy to listen to without being in the "Easy-Listening" genre. Gary could take a page from Mark's book here and it might benefit him. Just Sayin'.

It's the production/engineering. Olson has done a good job of keeping that raw, alternative sound. Gary's stuff has been too glossy ever since Smile, IMHO. That's not a comment on the songwriting, BTW. Just the production/engineering.

And maybe "Many Colored Kite" was too visceral sounding for my tastes. I don't know what it is exactly. I can't wrap my head around the barrage of words, spilled out over "MCK," while seemingly great music is being played in the background. I should give it another spin. I have it on cd, and (*unopened) vinyl. *LOL. That's how much I didn't like it! "MCK" just sounds like it needs an editor or something.

I like it a lot, but my gf said the same thing about the editor. And, to be honest, all of the Jayhawks IMHO have needed an editor post-TTGG, or at least some kind of whip master.

Despite the silly video, Mark's electric guitar sounds freaking awesome on this- raw and gritty like from Blue Earth. That's the sound I always wanted them to dip back into. Such a cool, alternative country vibe.

bryguy
09-17-2014, 09:09 AM
Yeah, the song just reminded me of the word "Pop" for some reason. I wouldn't even call it that, necessarily. Mark's new sound is interesting and fun. I do listen to other music that is literally considered "Pop" because I like the "R&B" influence featured in some of today's "Hits." These new Mark songs are approachable, put it that way. I would like to hear Gary do some "R&B" stuff.

You have a lot of wishes for Gary's new music- you want more Replacements and R&B. Those seem tough to overlay.

J. Chamberlain
09-17-2014, 04:44 PM
LOL Gary is very diverse, he can do pop, rock, folk, r&b, etc.

J. Chamberlain
09-17-2014, 04:48 PM
Mark's electric guitar sounds freaking awesome on this- raw and gritty like from Blue Earth. That's the sound I always wanted them to dip back into. Such a cool, alternative country vibe.

+1

jebstuart
09-17-2014, 09:51 PM
When Mark toured Many Colored Kite, I was excited to hear the way the songs would come off live, since Ingunn wasn't in the country and he took his old Creekdipper mates with him. So I for sure gave this one a lot of listens in anticipation of the show. Only a couple songs jumped out on the first listen, but that's the charm of it. Listening because of those songs let the other songs reveal themselves slowly but for sure, they really come off as complete expressions.
This unfortunately is what keeps Mark from having a huge success, because we live in a pop culture universe, so sometimes we mistake a lower level of "success" as somehow less than something. We could not be further from the truth. Mark is more happy doing things within his muse and not forcing it. Some people just choose to not delve into his style, but even Gary is into some of the same stuff of the past that had this low-key charm. They've both talked highly of the Incredible String Band, for example, and that's a good example of Mark's current direction. After 'My Own Jo Ellen', he made some changes. Salvation Blues grew out of that stuff, but he's been in Europe, Eastern Europe, and some other places and picked up a bunch of obscure influences stylistically and in his approach to making music. Musicians dig that, but the masses tend to miss out.
That's just today's 32 cents. :)

You know you are right when I think back on things now. Much of the Creekdippers and even Salvation Blues did not stick to me right away. But over time I really enjoyed the music Olson made. I am going to have to give many colored kite and the new record a careful listening many times over.

wheelhousetunes
09-19-2014, 03:29 PM
I think this is an awesome song. One of Mark's best outside of the Jayhawks. I'm now psyched to hear the whole thing!

wheelhousetunes
10-02-2014, 03:05 PM
I wonder if Mark's new album is going to get easier to find. Like on Amazon would be nice....

trueblue
10-02-2014, 06:30 PM
I wonder if Mark's new album is going to get easier to find. Like on Amazon would be nice....

My copy from Amazon arrived today.

sacred roots
10-02-2014, 07:25 PM
It's available through Amazon UK - about $22 delivered to the US.

ChiefCrowe
10-03-2014, 01:50 AM
Does anyone know when it will be available in the US?

bryguy
10-06-2014, 10:30 AM
wow, not even on iTunes.

zebulon
10-06-2014, 03:22 PM
This album has been released on the very fine German label, Glitterhouse Records. For vinyl junkies: they offer the LP + cd for 15.95 euros + shipping.

sacred roots
10-06-2014, 03:53 PM
Glitterhouse is a fine label but the cost and shipping from Europe certainly won't help sales over on this side of the pond. I'm assuming Mark hasn't got a US record deal yet. Hopefully that will change soon.

JPM
10-07-2014, 02:01 PM
I believe the US release date is Jan 15 not sure what label.

The record itself is very good, got a very good sound to it, I like it a lot.

trueblue
10-11-2014, 07:01 PM
I've listened to this album for a week or so now and I'm liking it more and more. Lovely tunes that creep up on you and lodge in your head. There's some Eastern European type tunes on one or two tracks but what I hear the most is English psychedelic pop. In particular, I'm reminded sometimes of the Zombies' Odessey and Oracle (not quite as polished though). I wasn't expecting that. It's very good.

fortuleo
10-12-2014, 01:30 PM
Not hearing the Zombies thing at all, except maybe the harpsichord on the opening song. The album is stunning, especially in our times, where most "albums" feel like playlists on ipods and fail to sound like artistic statements. It's definitely not the case of Goodbye Lizelle. The "Nagra" sound, the consistent poetry feel, the beauty of the eastern europe instruments and the depth of most melodies are incredible. It's a very deep record, one that needs to be listened to over and over. Some background vocals of Ingunn are a little bit intrusive for my taste, but some others (the ooh-ooh-ooooh of Chery Thieves and Running Circles for instance) are exquisite. Mark's solo career has been full of great original records (my personal favorites would be the first OHRCD, Zola&Tulip Tree, My Own Joe Ellen and December's child) and this is definitely one of them.

wheelhousetunes
12-03-2014, 09:38 AM
It's a shame this hasn't been made available domestically in the US yet. I'm going to have to cave and order an import copy for the extra bread.

ChiefCrowe
12-03-2014, 03:19 PM
Yeah, I'd like to hear the album too but don't really want to get an import so i'm just going to wait.. maybe next year it will be out here.

JoMama
12-03-2014, 07:41 PM
It's a shame this hasn't been made available domestically in the US yet. I'm going to have to cave and order an import copy for the extra bread.

I ordered one in early November, or so, not exactly sure, but I had to go the the Amazon.de version of Amazon--Germany's version. AMAZON UK also has it, but its a German record label... Anywho, it arrived Dec. 1, so that's about a month of waiting. It has a CD inside the vinyl's cover, so I quickly loaded it to my mobile device for the auto and of course, each playing rewards my slow absorption of these songs.
I think Mark's gotten ahold of something, but there's really no secret formula to finding it. I think a person just needs to slow their life down and take this at a walking pace. It sounds better when I'm walking by the river than while I'm driving in the car. Make of that what you will (but be nice about it...).
Mark doesn't raise the bar for Gary to step up to. He's his own genre, and looking at it in the perspective of the Gary-led Jayhawks lineup and their recent tour, I am excited to hear this and look forward to Gary's projects in the works. Continued growth, for sure, and that is a rarity for these artists as they get older. They're still after it.

Runningpotleaf
12-16-2014, 03:01 PM
looks like a new MO interview that I don't believe has been posted here yet

http://www.americana-uk.com/feature-articles/interviews/item/963-mark-olson

ChiefCrowe
12-17-2014, 02:54 PM
Pretty cool interview, thanks for sharing. Looking forward to hearing this.
I liked that he was talking about environmental issues too.

deckerma
12-19-2014, 08:08 PM
at the bottom of the interview - what a great video!

bryguy
12-20-2014, 12:10 AM
just making sure the page is still here. all is well.

JoMama
12-20-2014, 03:43 AM
at the bottom of the interview - what a great video!

So is the video that follows it--The Desoto Caucus. if you click on the name-strip at the top of the video it links to the Glitterhouse YouTube channel. That Andrea Shroeder is cool too, sort of like a Marianne Faithful... :)

ChiefCrowe
12-26-2014, 01:07 PM
Cool video. thanks for mentioning it.. I missed it at first. I dig the song and video, more than the last one.

Runningpotleaf
12-30-2014, 08:25 PM
d'oh, didn't see the video either, good catch! Song kinda sounds like Sandy Denny, maybe, sorta. It's good though!

And under that video are 2 other older interviews, one from 2007 and the other from 2010. More MO reading!

wheelhousetunes
01-16-2015, 03:27 PM
I ended up with two copies of this in case someone is still looking. I got one as a gift after I had already ordered an import promotional copy. It took a month to arrive but I'll part with it for a little under the price I paid - an even $20.

Send me a PM if you're interested. I'll cover shipping.

ungere
05-07-2015, 09:24 AM
Mark & Ingunn on Radio Scotland Another Country with Ricky Ross:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05rbx9q/clips

Runningpotleaf
06-23-2015, 08:58 AM
I am seeing a couple MO shows on the horizon:

August 2nd @ Beatnik Lounge, Joshua Tree
August 7th @ McCabes Guitar Shop, Los Angeles

ChiefCrowe
06-23-2015, 11:00 AM
Thanks!! had no idea, and I hope to make it!!

ungere
06-24-2015, 01:49 PM
Recent interview with Mark:

http://blurtonline.com/feature/making-music-that-soothes-his-soul-mark-olson/

ChiefCrowe
06-25-2015, 10:40 AM
Very interesting interview, thank you for posting. I didn't realize all that stuff about his dad. very sad!!