PDA

View Full Version : Tailspin

J. Chamberlain
09-11-2014, 12:21 AM
How do you feel about Tailspin?

JoMama
09-11-2014, 04:55 AM
Emo? I'd like to introduce you to this fuzzed-out 'lectric guitar. You two could work together and have some fine results...

Not my favorite ear-worm, but I'm not sick of it yet. It sounds just dandy on the ReMaster CD. "Long trip you've lost your grip" was swiped or is an homage to Soul Asylum.
Maybe they'll make a movie out of it some day the way they did "Can't Hardly Wait"... :rolleyes:

fortuleo
09-11-2014, 02:31 PM
Nice My Back Pages by the Byrds vibe, still a pretty good song, especially the original album version

zebulon
09-11-2014, 03:50 PM
I like this song. I do. I think we all link songs with moments, precious moments. And this song is one of those songs. 2004 in Gasteiz/Vitoria. Awesome!!!

mystic_spiral_3
09-11-2014, 09:41 PM
Nice My Back Pages by the Byrds vibe, still a pretty good song, especially the original album version

Gary played Tailspin at Wesley Stace's Cabinet of Wonders in March, a show headed by John Wesley Harding. JWH actually sang a few lines from My Back Pages to tease Gary about the similarity.

J. Chamberlain
09-11-2014, 10:40 PM
:cool: ....
"Tailspin"
I can't be the only one who hears Stephen McCarthy's pedal steel part in my head when they play this without him. That's the only song where I felt like something was missing during these shows.

fortuleo
09-12-2014, 07:18 AM
Gary played Tailspin at Wesley Stace's Cabinet of Wonders in March, a show headed by John Wesley Harding. JWH actually sang a few lines from My Back Pages to tease Gary about the similarity.

Ah! Didn't know that, that's funny.
The other case is "She Only Calls Me on Sunday", which sounds soooo like Harrison's Behind That Locked Door.

ChiefCrowe
09-12-2014, 12:34 PM
I really like this song.. haven't really heard it much until i got the reissues. Definitely would like to hear it live on this tour!

kubacheck
09-14-2014, 08:23 PM
Ah! Didn't know that, that's funny.
The other case is "She Only Calls Me on Sunday", which sounds soooo like Harrison's Behind That Locked Door.

when I saw Gary solo last year, he himself pointed out a few instances where the song he was about to play resembled other previously written songs, either lyrically or musically.... example: he said he realized after he wrote "Settled Down Like Rain" that the first line is lifted word for word from a line in Barry Manilow's "Mandy".... he was also apparently disappointed that Manilow didn't sue, he thought it would give them some publicity... :) he also mentioned the "George Harrison/She Only Calls Me on Sundays" thing and pointed out the similarity between The Jam's "That's Entertainment" and "Poor Little Fish", even going so far as to illustrate the point by playing/singing a bars of "That's Entertainment"..... all in all, a pretty "confessional", and extremely enjoyable, show.....

JoMama
09-15-2014, 06:58 PM
I know, I know, it's the Tailspin thread. Well, I'm not sick of the song, but another Gary song I've played a ton of times and never tire of is "Three Too Many" a 'Vagabonds' bonus track from iTunes. I'm sure I spieled some crazy talk about this one before, but you know, some things are worth being reminded of. I have yet to be thrown into a tailspin over this track. I soar above all the traffic, as a matter of fact. Traffic jams can't touch this when my speakers are crunching this one.
Go download it now and see if you don't agree he's channeling McGuinn from about 1967... That song is eight miles high on my list of favorite Gary tunes. Get it... peace out

ChiefCrowe
09-15-2014, 07:11 PM
That song is great, thanks for reminding me of it. Sounds really nice and it is very Byrds influenced for sure!