PDA

View Full Version : First Ave. / Turf setlists

sacred roots
09-09-2014, 12:55 PM
Here's a link to the 3 recent MSP set lists. Thanks to the dedicated fans for taking such good notes! :)

https://www.facebook.com/notes/the-jayhawks/setlists-for-turf-club-first-avenue-shows-sept-4-6-2014/842763499080986

david_skoglund
09-09-2014, 02:43 PM
So, on the actual Saturday setlist, is it listing two separate encores or two possible alternate encores? When we were looking at in on Saturday I was thinking that we missed out on a possible second encore. Having thought about it some more it seems like an A or B choice is probably what is listed.

sacred roots
09-09-2014, 03:04 PM
So, on the actual Saturday setlist, is it listing two separate encores or two possible alternate encores? When we were looking at in on Saturday I was thinking that we missed out on a possible second encore. Having thought about it some more it seems like an A or B choice is probably what is listed.

Two separate encores. I guess you guys didn't cheer enough! :eek:

No, seriously, they were exhausted. 80+ songs in 3 nights is a lot for, uh, people of a certain age.

david_skoglund
09-09-2014, 03:11 PM
Two separate encores. I guess you guys didn't cheer enough! :eek:

No, seriously, they were exhausted. 80+ songs in 3 nights is a lot for, uh, people of a certain age.

Trust me, I didn't feel cheated by the amount of music I was treated to over those three evenings. It was exhausting for people of a certain age just to watch. :)

david_skoglund
09-11-2014, 05:34 PM
There are already multiple threads for the recent Minnesota shows. So, I figure this is as good a place as any to post this.

So, some of you know me, others don't because I don't post a whole lot around here. I've been registered on the forum since 2003, and only posted 90 times or so since then.

I've probably been to fifty Jayhawks/Golden Smog/solo shows since 1992. I've been a Jayhawks fan since around 1990 when I heard the 'Blue Earth' album being played over the sound system at Flip Side Records in Saint Paul. I didn't see the band live until they opened for Neil Young at the Orpheum in Minneapolis in 1992.

For those of you who remember the early days of Jayhawks fandom on the internet, I ran the Baltimore Sun which was a Jayhakws setlist reference site. All that material is now part of the FanPage. I also ran the Bunkhouse Trading Group on Yahoo back when people actually traded tapes/CDs rather than downloading torrents.

I was at all three Twin Cities shows last week. Here are some random thoughts...

12 String Guitar
I was extremely please to see Gary play his 12 string electric guitar on several songs during the Friday and Saturday show. That instrument just adds another level of beauty to the music. I have a 12 string myself and I can't make it produce the sound that it in my head. So, I'm always in awe of those who can.

Vocal Sound

One of the things that I love about this particular lineup is the way the vocal harmonies combine and twist and bob and weave through the songs. The vocals on the 'Sound Of Lies' album continue to floor me every time I hear them even after all these years. I don't know if they are a product of the mixing, or just the way it comes out naturally. Just the way you hear a particular vocalist take lead for a word or two, and then drop back into the mix, is a treat to hear.

Setlist Changeups and Themes

What a treat to have three excellent and very different shows. The Turf Club show had an anything can happen atmosphere. I've never seen the band in such a small room. That alone was worth it.

The Friday First Avenue show had a chronological focus. It worked very well, and the transition songs were a treat too. It really showcased the three reissues. I left that show thinking that I wouldn't mind something similar for the Saturday show. Part of me thought that since I've heard the 'Tomorrow The Green Grass' stuff live so much that I didn't need to hear it again.

I was down front on the railing for the Friday show. I've been down there in the past for Jayhawks shows and it is always quite the experience watching the magic closeup.

Saturday's show proved me wrong in a big way. The mixed setlist was off an off the hook performance. Just goes to show that in the end, it is the band who makes the right call not us setlist watching armchair quarterbacks.

I decided to give in to my screaming back and knees after standing for the previous two nights. I found a spot on the ledge for Saturday. The extra bonus was that the sound was a little better, and I could heard Jack Hammer's mandolin parts much better.

"Looking Forward To Seeing You" and "Until You Came Along"

It always nice to hear some Golden Smog tunes at a Jayhawks concert. There is a scene in the Big Star documentary where they talk about how inconceivable that "September Gurls" wasn't a huge pop hit. I feel the same way about "Until You Came Along" and "Blue" among others. They'll always be huge smashes in the alternate universe that I want to live in.

Gary mentioned that they had lots of members of Golden Smog on stage. Aside from Karen and Jack Hammer everyone else on stage has played/toured with Golden Smog. I know I've seen GS shows with Tim on drums. Has Karen ever sat in with GS?

"Stick In The Mud"
Aside from this one song, we were treated to all the songs from 'Sound Of Lies' across the three shows. Maybe next time...

"Tailspin"
I can't be the only one who hears Stephen McCarthy's pedal steel part in my head when they play this without him. That's the only song where I felt like something was missing during these shows. That's a great compliment to the band and to Stephen.

"Ruby"

The late 1998 shows are some of my all-time favorite Jayhawks shows. Part of what makes them so special for me is Karen's song "Ruby" which they performed at three shows I saw in 1998. It just might be my absolute favorite Jayhawks song.

I think I've mentioned before that I was sad when "Ruby" didn't show up on 'Smile' back in 2000, and extra sad that it didn't show up on the rarities disc for 'Music From The North Country' in 2009. It being absent from the 'Smile' reissue is something I don't even want to discuss.

(Ok, maybe that's me being overly dramatic.)

Anyway, I voted for it in the Facebook setlist poll for the Turf Club show and tried to encourage a write in campaign. It never really took hold. As I mentioned, Friday night I was on the rail in front of Karen. I yelled out "Ruby" a couple of times just because.

After the show on Friday, I was able to talk to Karen for a moment and told her that I called out for it on the off chance she actually heard me. I was thrilled to finally tell her how much I loved the song. She told me that she was told that it was voted for in the Facebook poll. PD had mentioned earlier that he sent a demo of it to the band in a subtle attempt to get them to revisit the tune.

Karen mentioned that Gary couldn't even remember that they performed it live. When I assured her that they had, she said she didn't think there were any live recordings of the song. I sheepisly told her that there were. It was a nice chat. She seemed tickled that the song was rememebred.

So, Saturday night I came to the show with a copy of the 12/31/98 show at the State Theater to give to Karen. It was fun to be able to surprise her like that. Of course, now my secret wish is that the band busts out the tune sometime on their fall tour.

Yahoo Webcast

Being able to watch the webcast a couple of times on Sunday was just icing on the cake. I really hope I can watch it again on an official DVD someday, and on an unofficial one until then. Still waiting to hear if someone manage to capture the stream for posterity.

Fellow Fanpagers

It was nice to be among fellow boardmembers during these shows. I know a few of you from being at shows over the years, and nodded at the rest of you while we were all gathered near the stage after the shows. I wish I would have spoken up a bit more and introduced myself. I'm an introvert by nature. Plus, I don't post much here so I figure I'd get some blank stares.

I can probabaly think of more, but that's probably enough for now.

axeeugene
09-11-2014, 06:00 PM
Ruby is a delight, and as you've said, it most definitely *has* been played live before. I think I may have heard it in non-Jayhawks contexts, though, like that incredible Tim, Jim, Karen, Perlman show at that little restaurant in Excelsior some years back.

It's so nice to be a fan of such an accessible, approachable, giving band.

CaffeineZombie
09-11-2014, 10:29 PM
I've seen Karen sit in w/ Golden Smog, at First Avenue back in March 1996.
It was only for a song or two.

theweekend
09-11-2014, 10:57 PM
There are already multiple threads for the recent Minnesota shows. So, I figure this is as good a place as any to post this.

So, some of you know me, others don't because I don't post a whole lot around here. I've been registered on the forum since 2003, and only posted 90 times or so since then.

I've probably been to fifty Jayhawks/Golden Smog/solo shows since 1992. I've been a Jayhawks fan since around 1990 when I heard the 'Blue Earth' album being played over the sound system at Flip Side Records in Saint Paul. I didn't see the band live until they opened for Neil Young at the Orpheum in Minneapolis in 1992.

For those of you who remember the early days of Jayhawks fandom on the internet, I ran the Baltimore Sun which was a Jayhakws setlist reference site. All that material is now part of the FanPage. I also ran the Bunkhouse Trading Group on Yahoo back when people actually traded tapes/CDs rather than downloading torrents.

I was at all three Twin Cities shows last week. Here are some random thoughts...

12 String Guitar
I was extremely please to see Gary play his 12 string electric guitar on several songs during the Friday and Saturday show. That instrument just adds another level of beauty to the music. I have a 12 string myself and I can't make it produce the sound that it in my head. So, I'm always in awe of those who can.

Vocal Sound

One of the things that I love about this particular lineup is the way the vocal harmonies combine and twist and bob and weave through the songs. The vocals on the 'Sound Of Lies' album continue to floor me every time I hear them even after all these years. I don't know if they are a product of the mixing, or just the way it comes out naturally. Just the way you hear a particular vocalist take lead for a word or two, and then drop back into the mix, is a treat to hear.

What a treat to have three excellent and very different shows. The Turf Club show had an anything can happen atmosphere. I've never seen the band in such a small room. That alone was worth it.

The Friday First Avenue show had a chronological focus. It worked very well, and the transition songs were a treat too. It really showcased the three reissues. I left that show thinking that I wouldn't mind something similar for the Saturday show. Part of me thought that since I've heard the 'Tomorrow The Green Grass' stuff live so much that I didn't need to hear it again.

I was down front on the railing for the Friday show. I've been down there in the past for Jayhawks shows and it is always quite the experience watching the magic closeup.

Saturday's show proved me wrong in a big way. The mixed setlist was off an off the hook performance. Just goes to show that in the end, it is the band who makes the right call not us setlist watching armchair quarterbacks.

I decided to give in to my screaming back and knees after standing for the previous two nights. I found a spot on the ledge for Saturday. The extra bonus was that the sound was a little better, and I could heard Jack Hammer's mandolin parts much better.

It always nice to hear some Golden Smog tunes at a Jayhawks concert. There is a scene in the Big Star documentary where they talk about how inconceivable that "September Gurls" wasn't a huge pop hit. I feel the same way about "Until You Came Along" and "Blue" among others. They'll always be huge smashes in the alternate universe that I want to live in.

Gary mentioned that they had lots of members of Golden Smog on stage. Aside from Karen and Jack Hammer everyone else on stage has played/toured with Golden Smog. I know I've seen GS shows with Tim on drums. Has Karen ever sat in with GS?

"Stick In The Mud"
Aside from this one song, we were treated to all the songs from 'Sound Of Lies' across the three shows. Maybe next time...

"Tailspin"
I can't be the only one who hears Stephen McCarthy's pedal steel part in my head when they play this without him. That's the only song where I felt like something was missing during these shows. That's a great compliment to the band and to Stephen.

"Ruby"

The late 1998 shows are some of my all-time favorite Jayhawks shows. Part of what makes them so special for me is Karen's song "Ruby" which they performed at three shows I saw in 1998. It just might be my absolute favorite Jayhawks song.

I think I've mentioned before that I was sad when "Ruby" didn't show up on 'Smile' back in 2000, and extra sad that it didn't show up on the rarities disc for 'Music From The North Country' in 2009. It being absent from the 'Smile' reissue is something I don't even want to discuss.

Anyway, I voted for it in the Facebook setlist poll for the Turf Club show and tried to encourage a write in campaign. It never really took hold. As I mentioned, Friday night I was on the rail in front of Karen. I yelled out "Ruby" a couple of times just because.

After the show on Friday, I was able to talk to Karen for a moment and told her that I called out for it on the off chance she actually heard me. I was thrilled to finally tell her how much I loved the song. She told me that she was told that it was voted for in the Facebook poll. PD had mentioned earlier that he sent a demo of it to the band in a subtle attempt to get them to revisit the tune.

Karen mentioned that Gary couldn't even remember that they performed it live. When I assured her that they had, she said she didn't think there were any live recordings of the song. I sheepisly told her that there were. It was a nice chat. She seemed tickled that the song was rememebred.

So, Saturday night I came to the show with a copy of the 12/31/98 show at the State Theater to give to Karen. It was fun to be able to surprise her like that. Of course, now my secret wish is that the band busts out the tune sometime on their fall tour.

Yahoo Webcast

Being able to watch the webcast a couple of times on Sunday was just icing on the cake. I really hope I can watch it again on an official DVD someday, and on an unofficial one until then. Still waiting to hear if someone manage to capture the stream for posterity.

Fellow Fanpagers

It was nice to be among fellow boardmembers during these shows. I know a few of you from being at shows over the years, and nodded at the rest of you while we were all gathered near the stage after the shows. I wish I would have spoken up a bit more and introduced myself. I'm an introvert by nature. Plus, I don't post much here so I figure I'd get some blank stares.

Good read. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

sacred roots
09-12-2014, 12:55 AM
Good read. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Yes, excellent job David. Glad you enjoyed the shows - that really means something coming from someone like you. Great to see you, if ever so briefly.

girl incognito1
09-12-2014, 01:29 AM
Has Karen ever sat in with GS?

There used to be some videos of GS playing at the "Grand Old Days" back in 96 with Karen on the keyboards (Gary does a killer version of Seven Year Ache). I tried looking for the video but it must of been taken down. :(

david_skoglund
09-12-2014, 10:56 AM
I've seen Karen sit in w/ Golden Smog, at First Avenue back in March 1996.
It was only for a song or two.

That rings a bell. I was sort sure I'd seen her sit in with the Smog but memory being what it is after all those years. Thanks for the reminder.

theweekend
09-12-2014, 10:56 AM
Yes, excellent job David. Glad you enjoyed the shows - that really means something coming from someone like you. Great to see you, if ever so briefly.

I saw Gary at that theater in Anoka, which was really awesome too.

Kind of weird none of the board people ever want to meet up with me when I announce I'm gonna be at shows. I guess it's that inner circle thing someone was talking about the other day. I went to the Saturday First Ave show alone and didn't speak a word to anyone the entire night. So maybe it's me that has the problem. :)

I did have a chance to talk with Sacred Roots for a few minutes after the Anoka show, so I appreciate that. Got myself a Gary Live CD that he recorded in the last few years. Gary signed it, but I should have brought the Vagabonds CD cover instead.

axeeugene
09-12-2014, 12:22 PM
I guess it's that inner circle thing someone was talking about the other day. I went to the Saturday First Ave show alone and didn't speak a word to anyone the entire night. So maybe it's me that has the problem.

I'm only speaking for myself here, but it's pretty rare for me to do anything fanpage social anymore. The people I do know from the fanpage I've known since pretty much before the fanpage even existed as a going concern (remember the listserv days? I sure do), and now if I meet up with them I do so because I know them as friends, not because of the fanpage. Chalk that up to getting older, more crotchety, and ever less adept at new social circumstances. For me it's got nothing to do with being part of an inner circle and I'm not trying to be exclusive or elitist at all. I'm just...kinda tired :)

Plus, there are some people I'd rather not associate with...LIKE YOU, theweekend! (Kidding, of course!)

zebulon
09-12-2014, 04:24 PM

12 String Guitar

Vocal Sound

"Stick In The Mud"

"Tailspin"

"Ruby"

Yahoo Webcast

Fellow Fanpagers

This post takes me some years back. Great read. Well done! So it was you running The Bunkhouse Trading Group! Thanks!

Calexico
09-14-2014, 10:29 AM
Cracking post that, David. Great to read your take on things. Thumbs up!

carolinagirl
09-26-2014, 10:29 PM
Kind of weird none of the board people ever want to meet up with me when I announce I'm gonna be at shows. I guess it's that inner circle thing someone was talking about the other day. I went to the Saturday First Ave show alone and didn't speak a word to anyone the entire night. So maybe it's me that has the problem. :)

I did have a chance to talk with Sacred Roots for a few minutes after the Anoka show, so I appreciate that. Got myself a Gary Live CD that he recorded in the last few years. Gary signed it, but I should have brought the Vagabonds CD cover instead.

Nobody wanted to meet up with me either! haha. Shucks! Maybe it will happen at one of the gigs on the October tour...although I haven't mapped out my itinerary just yet. Possibly Chicago, definitely Asheville, Charlotte and Carrboro (Chapel Hill), maybe DC. The possibilities are endless for being ditched by fan page alum.

Sacred Roots is a national treasure! Always a pleasure to talk to. I need to recruit him as a show buddy. North Carolina is beautiful this time of year Mr. Roots!

JoMama
09-27-2014, 07:56 AM
Nobody wanted to meet up with me either! haha. Shucks! Maybe it will happen at one of the gigs on the October tour...although I haven't mapped out my itinerary just yet. Possibly Chicago, definitely Asheville, Charlotte and Carrboro (Chapel Hill), maybe DC. The possibilities are endless for being ditched by fan page alum.

Sacred Roots is a national treasure! Always a pleasure to talk to. I need to recruit him as a show buddy. North Carolina is beautiful this time of year Mr. Roots!

Well, Carolina is bee-yooo-tiful when the leaves are turning and the Jayhawks are strumming. A perfect autumnal setlist to be sure.
I know of two other fanpagers meeting up at the Asheville show, and one going to Charlotte... ;) Was trying to work it out so I could slide down to Hot-'lanta too.

on the beach 3
09-27-2014, 07:22 PM

12 String Guitar

Vocal Sound

"Stick In The Mud"

"Tailspin"

"Ruby"

Yahoo Webcast

Fellow Fanpagers

Wonderful post David. I wholeheartedly agree with you regarding the ability to play a 12 string the way Gary does, Mr. McGuinn, Mr.Harrison, they did and can. The feeling I get when I hear the true ' Jingle Jangle " of a 12 string Rickenbacker is without parallel.

Peace and Boat Drinks………….

carolinagirl
10-07-2014, 10:44 PM
Well, Carolina is bee-yooo-tiful when the leaves are turning and the Jayhawks are strumming. A perfect autumnal setlist to be sure.
I know of two other fanpagers meeting up at the Asheville show, and one going to Charlotte... ;) Was trying to work it out so I could slide down to Hot-'lanta too.

I just made plans for catching the Asheville and Atlanta shows. I'm going to have to skip Charlotte (work calls) but will be there for Carrboro too. See you there!