PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Tweedy

Piemel
09-09-2014, 03:28 AM
This is an annual favorite happening each year for me... I can't stand big crowds but each year right around HArdly Strictly Bluegrass there is a benefit show for a local Marin based charity. Each years show has ruled and looking forward to see Jeff Tweedy this time around. Great venue, great music and a great cause.

http://www.bimbos365club.com/event/680823-8th-annual-richard-de-lone-san-francisco/

8th Annual Richard de Lone Special Housing Project Benefit
featuring Wilco’s Jeff Tweedy, Jim Lauderdale, Bill Kirchen, Dan Hicks and the Hicksville Express, Carlene Carter, Jimmie Dale Gilmore, Caroline de Lone, Kindred Maxwell and de Lone, & other special guests

Sun, October 5, 2014
Doors: 7:00 pm / Show: 8:00 pm
Bimbo's 365 Club

mystic_spiral_3
09-09-2014, 09:11 PM
I'm hoping the Tweedy album is more like Wilco and less like Loose Fur. I just couldn't get into that Loose Fur album.

ChiefCrowe
09-10-2014, 12:28 AM
Totally agree with you mystic, was not really that into loose fur either
Hope it's more like his solo stuff or wilco.

Calexico
09-10-2014, 02:37 PM
I hope the Tweedy album is nothing like late period Wilco.

ChiefCrowe
09-10-2014, 03:09 PM
Wilco albums have been a bit hit or miss lately, to me, but the last one I liked more than some of the others

mystic_spiral_3
09-10-2014, 10:58 PM
Agree on "hit or miss" though I liked Sky Blue Sky and Wilco the Album a little better than the most recent one. I saw Wilco last year at the Solid Sound Festival and quite enjoyed it; the show was a mix of all Wilco periods.

Piemel
09-12-2014, 01:21 AM
And Tweedy just canceled his appearance for this. Bummer

bryguy
09-12-2014, 06:09 PM
I've not gotten into Wilco much. I need to give them a fresh look. I think I've got a couple CDs. Any suggested disc to dig into?

ChiefCrowe
09-12-2014, 06:33 PM
If you don't get into them after listening to Being There a few times, then they're probably not for you.

JoMama
09-12-2014, 07:27 PM
I've not gotten into Wilco much. I need to give them a fresh look. I think I've got a couple CDs. Any suggested disc to dig into?
I would go with A.M. and SUMMERTEETH, but that's only because those are my favorites. I'd then proceed to Being There and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot before trying to understand their overall "thang" on the other records, which all have some great moments too. A pretty reliable outfit overall.

My wife's favorite magazine ENTERTAINMENT, WEAKLY (my spelling as usual), featured a short piece about the new Tweedy record with his son playing drums. Nice writeup, apparently the son's been on the Mavis Staples records. So cool... :D:cool:

bryguy
09-12-2014, 08:09 PM
I would go with A.M. and SUMMERTEETH, but that's only because those are my favorites. I'd then proceed to Being There and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot before trying to understand their overall "thang" on the other records, which all have some great moments too. A pretty reliable outfit overall.

My wife's favorite magazine ENTERTAINMENT, WEAKLY (my spelling as usual), featured a short piece about the new Tweedy record with his son playing drums. Nice writeup, apparently the son's been on the Mavis Staples records. So cool... :D:cool:

Cool thanks Jo. I think I have YHF. I'll put it on the weekend list.

reiggin
09-13-2014, 07:36 PM
Being There is a great album but YHF is a masterpiece. The things they did with Jim O'Rourke did with the mix combined with the place the band was at the time -- simply stunning.

Calexico
09-14-2014, 10:24 AM
Being There is a sprawling, wonderful record. YHF is probably their artistic apex. Summerteeth is my personal favourite because it's just a fun record to listen to.

Jiff
09-25-2014, 01:04 PM
Summerteeth and Being There are my favorites, and I like AM and YHF, but A Ghost Is Born and especially Sky Blue Sky didn't do much for me so that was it for buying Wilco recordings. I did enjoy Tweedy's acting gigs on Portlandia and Parks & Rec though.

Heard him and his 18 yo son on NPR this morning talking about his solo album named as Tweedy's wife's nickname, who is recovering from cancer. His son plays drums and Tweedy all other instruments. Sounds like the themes of the album are death and love, and listening to the melancholy cuts, I won't be getting it either.

axeeugene
09-25-2014, 02:02 PM
Heard him and his 18 yo son on NPR this morning talking about his solo album named as Tweedy's wife's nickname, who is recovering from cancer. His son plays drums and Tweedy all other instruments. Sounds like the themes of the album are death and love, and listening to the melancholy cuts, I won't be getting it either.

Heard that this a.m., too, Jiff, and agree wholeheartedly. Not the Tweedy I prefer to remember - the one who floored me at William Rainey Harper College in Hoffmann Estates, IL (HI SANDY!) in 1999 at a solo gig that's one of my top ten concert memories ever.

I hated, hated, HATED AGIB, and Sky Blue Sky was about the dullest album I could have imagined. I have completely given up on Wilco since then. Quite happy with AM and Being There, though, and that's enough for me.

Tweedy doesn't owe me anything. He can do what he likes, and I can listen to "Sunken Treasure" for the rest of my godforsaken life without any regrets.

carolinagirl
09-26-2014, 10:40 PM

I'm late to the party on this one, but my favorite of theirs is Summerteeth. For a good introduction to them, I'd go with Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, as previous posters have recommended. It's their "masterpiece" but Summerteeth will always be my go-to album when it comes to Wilco. I loved everything of theirs through Wilco (the album) when they came out but I tend to always go back to the earlier stuff: AM, Being There and Summerteeth. Those are the ones that stick with me. And as much as I love Wilco, I could really do without The Whole Love...

Just my opinion...

on the beach 3
09-27-2014, 07:16 PM
I love Wilco, each and every part of them. I have heard Sukierae, its a very personal introspective piece of music, maybe not for everyone but that is one thing I admire about Tweedy, he follows his own path.

Peace and Boat Drinks…….