PDA

View Full Version : First Avenue night #2 setlist (Sept. 6)

CaffeineZombie
09-07-2014, 02:34 AM
The Jayhawks
First Avenue - Minneapolis, MN
September 6, 2014

I'm Gonna Make You Love Me
Stumbling Through The Dark
The Man Who Loved Life
Poor Little Fish
Last Cigarette (Karen)
Waiting For The Sun
Queen Of The World
Until You Came Along
Bottomless Cup (Tim)
Settled Down Like Rain
Blue
Think About It
Dying On The Vine
Looking Forward To Seeing You (Kraig & Jessy)
Save It For A Rainy Day
Smile
Angelyne
Tampa To Tulsa (Tim)
Nothing Left To Borrow
Tailspin
Somewhere In Ohio
I'd Run Away

------ ENCORE --------

Ain't No End (Gary & Tim)
Sixteen Down
All The Right Reasons
Real Light
Sedan Delivery (Kraig)
Big Star

Louris/Perlman/Grotberg/Johnson/Greene/O'Reagan

w/ special guest:

John Jackson (mandolin)

sacred roots
09-07-2014, 03:04 AM
he Jayhawks
First Avenue - Minneapolis, MN
September 6, 2014

I'm Gonna Make You Love Me
Stumbling Through The Dark
The Man Who Loved Life
Poor Little Fish
Last Cigarette (Karen)
Waiting For The Sun
Queen Of The World
Until You Came Along
Bottomless Cup (Tim)
Settled Down Like Rain
Blue
Think About It
Dying On The Vine
Looking Forward To Seeing You (Kraig & Jessy)
Save It For A Rainy Day
Smile
Angelyne
Tampa To Tulsa (Tim)
Nothing Left To Borrow
Tailspin
Somewhere In Ohio
I'd Run Away

------ ENCORE --------

Ain't No End (Gary & Tim)
Sixteen Down
All The Right Reasons
Real Light
Sedan Delivery (Kraig)
Big Star

Louris/Perlman/Grotberg/Johnson/Greene/O'Reagan

w/ special guest:

John Jackson (mandolin)

Such a fun show. I saw you smiling big time Mr Zombie!

david_skoglund
09-07-2014, 11:04 AM
That was one damn fine show. They all were.

Shug
09-07-2014, 11:09 AM
We saw the first two nights in Minn/St. Paul. This show made those two sound like warm up/dress rehearsals. They really stepped it up on the third night, I thought it was clearly the best of the three. Maybe it was because of the broadcast, but it seemed the band brought their A game all the way from how they played to how they dressed (Kraig and Perlman and Louris looking particularly sharp). They were playing in a way one might almost call jamming on stuff like Waiting For The Sun and Big Star. Gary's solos were killer all night long, from the twang of Settled Down Like Rain to the dirty aggression of Real Light.

The setlist, besides having a bunch of great songs that weren't played the first two nights, seemed designed for entertainment and flow and I thought it really really worked. A couple of strong upbeat openers before moving on to some lesser known more reflective songs, a left turn into honky tonk and then back to a big crowd pleaser, etc. etc.

This lineup can harmonize to beat the devil. Jesus Christ they can sing their asses off! It took me right back to seeing the Rainy Day Music tour and being blown away by the vocal combo. Gary and Tim are genius together (they absolutely floored me with Tampa To Tulsa and Ain't No End was a revelation, gorgeous!) and then you add in Karen and take out Olson and this is a harmonizing rock band that easily matches the best that have ever been. Plus they have the chemistry, they like one another, and they are so versatile. They can do it all, and do it with mastery and brilliance, the country rock, the 60s pop, the Bowie-esque art rock, the lush ballads.

I love it when an old band shows all the young ones how it's done. The Jayhawks are masters of their craft and they brought it hard last night, Awesome!!

I had thought that my trip to Minneapolis for two nights would satisfy my need to see this tour but that thought went out the window by the third song last night. I will definitely be seeing this tour again when it rolls out West. If they tightened up this much after just a few shows, think how good they are gonna be as the tour goes on!

The sound was so clear on the broadcast. We watched it on the big screen with the sound cranked up as close to concert-level as my system will allow and the details and clarity were fantastic. I hope this show gets released as a DVD, even if its a low budget fan club kind of release. Audio recordings are great, but in 20 years when there is no Jayhawks anymore, fans will absolutely treasure being able to relive these times with a live DVD. Sacred Roots, can you work on that one, PLEASE?!;)

sacred roots
09-07-2014, 02:23 PM
Just a random, very small sample of comments I've run across the last few hours:

I have to say, BEST.SHOW.EVER! And I've seen most Jayhawks shows in the past 15+ years!

It WAS a great show!

You sounded awesome! Thanks for a fun evening!

The 9/6 show was one of the best Jayhawks performances I've ever been to. It was just as fun hearing the entire audience sing along with every song. Many times audience vocals were as loud as the bands. I still can't believe this band isn't huge on a national level. What an incredible body of work!

You are all killing it! Superb. Stream working beautifully.

The Jayhawks are actually playing LIVE in my kitchen!!! What a tremendous concert this has been! Just amazing. You guys and gals are knocking it outta' the park tonight!

THAT was fabulous.

This set list is killer so far

@the_jayhawks @YahooScreen please put this out officially on DVD. Great show, top setlist from a truly great band, & excellent coverage.

@the_jayhawks w @jessygreene back-the BEST Jayhawks lineup ever. Really hope that even if not a full time thing this line up tours often!

sacred roots
09-07-2014, 02:24 PM
That was one damn fine show. They all were.

I saw you too, David. You also looked very happy. :)

nutshell
09-07-2014, 03:02 PM
Here is another quote, PD, said by more than just me-
"Wow. Wow, Wow, Wow."

I was lucky enough to go out to First Ave for both the Friday and Saturday shows. (flew non rev/standby and everything! Got a ticket for the sold out Saturday show from a fanpager. Met up with great friends and fellow diehards!)

The Friday show was great, one of the best I've seen, and I've seen plenty. But Saturday, WHOA. Mind blowing how good it was. Crowd was sooo into it. Band was happy and smiling. The sound was great, even much better the second night. Jesse adds so much to the sound, along with Karen of course! Wish Jesse would go to NYC! Loved the song selection. Got Haywire first night. :) And Ain't No End and 16 Down the second!

Piemel
09-07-2014, 03:44 PM
First time poster here. Flew in for the Fri and Sat shows from San Francisco. One of my better choices... Great show. Friday was a bit rough but Saturday the band was on fire and the vibe was amazing.

A second encore was written down but did not materialize. Long show so not that surprised. Bummer for me was that Jennifer Save Me was part of the 2nd encore. Oh well, maybe they pull it out on the West Coast.

J. Chamberlain
09-07-2014, 03:58 PM
Jennifer Save Me was part of the 2nd encore.

That would have been worth the price of admission right there. I'm glad you all enjoyed yourselves. I do enjoy the reviews from Mnpls. The Jayhawks have a cult following. And it's kind of a downplayed cult following. Anyway, keep the reviews coming. Turn up the violin.

Piemel
09-07-2014, 03:59 PM
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn76/renedebos/BC53C928-D603-48A4-ABCF-CA466690556A.jpg (http://s301.photobucket.com/user/renedebos/media/BC53C928-D603-48A4-ABCF-CA466690556A.jpg.html)

J. Chamberlain
09-07-2014, 04:07 PM
And they were gonna do more from Weird Tales. Jane was about the only song they weren't at least thinking about doing last night from Weird Tales.

theweekend
09-07-2014, 06:52 PM
Did anyone see Tenna-B? I think I may have spotted him wearing a mostly red plaid going out shirt.

lukpac
09-07-2014, 10:51 PM
Damn. That's quite the setlist. Really wish I could have made it.

sacred roots
09-07-2014, 11:42 PM
Damn. That's quite the setlist. Really wish I could have made it.

Yeah, even though there was some overlap between the two nights, I liked the two different flavors: chronological SOL-Smile-RDM progression in the main set of night 1 (with Golden Smog and Waylon Jennings as separators) compared to the nice mix and dynamics of night 2. Too bad you couldn't make it, I'm sure you would've been thrilled.

There's always next year...

lukpac
09-08-2014, 12:25 AM
I was able to catch maybe 10-15 minutes of the Yahoo stream tonight. What struck me more than anything is it looked like they were having *fun*. In contrast to, well...

I also like how varied the setlist was. Again, in contrast to...

sacred roots
09-08-2014, 09:13 AM
How about some positivity for a Monday morning?

I loved every second of last night's show!!!!! It happened to be the sixth anniversary of my return to NW Wisconsin to help my parents with the challenges of their aging, after living in coastal NC for 35 years where I raised my kids. One of my big hopes when I arrived back in WI on 9/6/2008 was to be able to catch a Jayhawks show. What a sweet coincidence that you would have reunited this year to rock that show on 9/6! Amazing performances, best crowd possible, and memories I will cherish. Thanks for my epic anniversary celebration!

Saw the show on the yahoo's live nation,here in Brasil. Great to see you guys on the road.

Well worth the trip from San Francisco!

I watched the Yahoo show, and then watched it again. Absolutely awesome! Please bring this lineup to the Fillmore in San Francisco this winter!

I was at Thursday and Friday shows and they were awesome! Thanks!

The picture was so clear and defined, and the audio was so well done too. What a great idea to share the love with all of your fans world-wide. Thank you..

You can add Georgia to states represented last night. Finally got to see the full SOL lineup. Thanks.

The show was amazing last night, Thank you!!

The trip from AZ was well worth it for the great shows in Fri and Sat.

Awesome shows, well worth the 26 hours of driving...do it again in a heartbeat!!!

Thank you for putting on yet another amazing show!

Well worth the 2 1/2 hour drive!

nutshell
09-08-2014, 09:50 AM
I especially like the "26 hours of driving" one!!

girl incognito1
09-08-2014, 01:56 PM
There's always next year...

Oh PD stop being a tease!!!!! :o:eek::cool:;):p:D

reiggin
09-09-2014, 11:26 PM
I've been out of the fold for a while (I just checked and saw that I had an unread message from 2003) but the Yahoo Screen live webcast brought me back. Wow, what a show! I got my ticket for Charlotte. So good to have that to look forward to.

bryguy
09-09-2014, 11:47 PM
I've been out of the fold for a while (I just checked and saw that I had an unread message from 2003) but the Yahoo Screen live webcast brought me back. Wow, what a show! I got my ticket for Charlotte. So good to have that to look forward to.

welcome back. just ignore the (un)civil board war currently being fought :-).

JoMama
09-10-2014, 08:04 AM
How about some positivity for a Monday morning?

Brazil listener on Yahoo! Wow, that's so cool! :)

axeeugene
09-10-2014, 08:38 AM

No way, man. That thing is AWESOME!

"I beg to present you as a Thanksgiving gift the Board of the Jayhawks Fanpage, with 250 commenters and plenty of ammunition, also about 25,000 insults. The crueler the war is, the sooner it will be over."

reiggin
09-11-2014, 09:44 PM
Thanks. I try not to let my posts outpace album releases. 3 posts in 11 years is okay, right?

Oh, and I came for the webcast and stayed for the war.

Why don't you guys have a popcorn eating smiley?

JoMama
09-11-2014, 09:52 PM
Thanks. I try not to let my posts outpace album releases. 3 posts in 11 years is okay, right?

Oh, and I came for the webcast and stayed for the war.

Why don't you guys have a popcorn eating smiley?

There's a nice Tom Waits webcast link I just bumped in the OT section. A nice way to spend a couple of hours.