PDA

View Full Version : Gary KFAN interview

ChiefCrowe
08-30-2014, 06:17 PM
http://www.kfan.com/media/podcast-the-common-man-KFAN_Common/829-common-live-at-the-fair-25231135

Hemisphire
09-02-2014, 04:42 PM
Nice little interview, solo versions of "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me" and "Tailspin", covers of "Brandy (You're A Fine Girl)" and "Tangled Up In Blue" with the host singing, and then there was "Weekend Girls" - listen here (https://app.box.com/s/sk25f75v8smlrnm37hj3).

ChiefCrowe
09-02-2014, 06:33 PM
The songs were pretty entertaining, esp. the covers!!

JoMama
09-10-2014, 07:22 PM
"eat your heart out, Leonard Cohen..." :D

J. Chamberlain
09-10-2014, 09:29 PM
Why is this a program about the Minnesota Vikings? Where's Gary? I want to hear TUIB.

http://www.kfan.com/media/podcast-the-common-man-KFAN_Common/829-common-live-at-the-fair-25231135

JoMama
09-12-2014, 06:41 PM
Why is this a program about the Minnesota Vikings? Where's Gary? I want to hear TUIB.

This is what you need to do: when you load this interview it's quite long, and you need to scroll to the bottom of the video screen where the play/pause buttons are. If you move your mouse to about the middle, you will see the time signature wherever you click. If you click on it where it displays itself at about the 82-minute mark (sorry you squeemish folks, I said "Mark").
It may take a minute to load to that point of the interview, but that's where the over-caffeinated announcer starts talking to Gary. :)

J. Chamberlain
09-12-2014, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the detailed instructions. I'm looking forward to hearing Gary now.

Btw, don't forget, before they start calling me the Smoke Monster around here (Lost reference), it's never too late to go back and save me from a fiery pit, Jomama. You and I, editing together - at least think about it.

Or we could change the name of this website to "where toxic people gather." It's not that I want to drag anyone else into my own problems - long term. In the twitter age, you can at least go back and edit everything you've said.

But, on this episode of Tron meets Lost on a Message Board.

I'm seriously saying, wait until you're 21, and please don't even consider doing any of the "Legal Weed," whatever they're calling "Spice" nowadays. All that stuff is mixed using proprietary ingredients - with no one's right to know what is actually in the "Spice." So, don't ever touch that stuff! Dead serious.

Jomama, why don't we turn this into our own shared blog?

Anyway, off to listen to Gary now, thanks again, don't forget to go back.

JoMama
09-13-2014, 12:16 AM
Do I have to watch 'Lost' to understand what you are talking about here? All this about 'going back', about editing posts; people calling you the smoke monster---I'm in a tailspin. And what's all this business about some fiery pit--do you really think you're 'lost' or headed for such? eternity is a long time

J. Chamberlain
09-13-2014, 01:07 AM
Would it be possible to go to hell for posting some unknown thing on a message board that had a horribly adverse effect on someone else? I don't know. In the twitter era I should be sleeping soundly but I've gone back. When I first saw this thread, I thought Gary was doing the cover of TUIB, not "The Vikings In The Morning" radio guys. I liked Brandy.

I just wanted to edit a whole thread but never mind I'm letting it go. Hopefully everyone will live free lives and turn out good. Even "The Vikings In The Morning" guys had their own Haight Ashbury days. I'm surprised Gary doesn't listen to music anymore. That I was surprised about. I wish he would have played more seriously. I know it was just supposed to be a fun radio spot.

I like his harmonica playing when it's not so sudden and loud like the "John Wesley Harding" harmonica playing. He's using a similar approach sometimes. He plays in these big bursts that can sound like a train whistle or train screeching its brakes. Maybe he should cover New Order or Black Flag. I don't mind his harp playing on his acoustic numbers.

JoMama
09-13-2014, 01:27 PM
Gary sounds good on this thing, despite the odd atmosphere to be put into. Gotta give him credit for all his hard work, including sitting with over-the-top radio jocks. He did a good job on the songs though. :)

J. Chamberlain
09-13-2014, 09:19 PM
I really dig Gary's all-acoustic live set as well. I know this was just a fun radio thing. But to paraphrase Leo, the dude from France, we just want new Gary music and we don't care what he calls it.

I hope he does record with the new-old post-Olson lineup. That would be great, too. The band and Gary, then some of Gary without the band, whatever, please just give us all something new now. You have a captive audience. We want you to continue writing and recording.

Here's what Bob Dylan shared with the world, about his feelings toward music in general, prior to recording "Time Out Of Mind": well, I can't remember exactly what he said...but he said something about going back and listening to all of the music he had heard in his formative years.

Why not listen to some Black Flag? Listen to anything. Put on music. Listen to what other people are doing, or have done. Why not play your favorite old Kinks record just for the fun of it. This is my free advice blog now, apparently.

J. Chamberlain
09-13-2014, 10:18 PM
Gary's not the only professional musician/entertainer to have felt the way he does about not-listening to music. Sting, for instance, had said in an interview that he doesn't even own a stereo. Or if he did have one around the speakers might be broken and he might not know how to turn the thing on. Bob Dylan, according to what he's said in the interviews, still listens to music, not just when he's playing it.