PDA

View Full Version : First Ave and Turf Club Roll Call

Shug
08-21-2014, 01:50 PM
So it sounds like Caffiene Zombie and Greek Guy are in for some of these shows?

My wife and I are flying in the day of the Turf Club show and will be seeing that one and then the first night of First Ave. Gotta get back after that.

I know visits to this website are pretty thin, but add your name to the list if you are going.

Any pre-show gatherings or recommendations for places downtown to get something to eat? We'll definitely be hitting up Marvel Bar at some point in the weekend. Classic cocktails and well-crafted food are what we gravitate towards.

Turf Club Sept 4:
Shug and LD

First Ave Sept 5:
Shug and LD

First Ave Sept 6:

axeeugene
08-21-2014, 03:39 PM
So it sounds like Caffiene Zombie and Greek Guy are in for some of these shows?

Any pre-show gatherings or recommendations for places downtown to get something to eat? We'll definitely be hitting up Marvel Bar at some point in the weekend. Classic cocktails and well-crafted food are what we gravitate towards.

Greekguy won't leave his apartment if it's raining. Why, just a month or so back, I watched him nearly melt when it started sprinkling downtown.

I'm a big fan of Khan's Mongolian Barbecue (http://www.khansmongolianbarbecue.com/) (ridiculous website) in Saint Paul/Roseville a few miles north of the Turf Club just off Snelling. Also, there's the excellent The 128 Cafe (http://www.the128cafe.com/) on Cleveland Avenue a couple miles south of the Turf (you'll need reservations for that). And don't forget to stuff yourselves silly with Izzy's Ice Cream (http://izzysicecream.com/) on Marshall thereafter.

Maybe greekguy can chime in about Minneapolis spots. He's got a social media reputation as a curmudgeonly epicure around these parts, and he'll steer you right. I know he'll tell you to visit The Smack Shack (http://smack-shack.com/) and/or Black Sheep Pizza (http://blacksheeppizza.com/) in the Warehouse District. If you go, you might even catch a glimpse of the greekguy in his natural habitat.

greekguy
08-21-2014, 04:04 PM
Shug. First of all. Don't believe the hype about Marvel Bar. It's very nice and all, but already has turned into a "must" for visitors. It's not. It's a nice place that's too crowded and drinks are $14-$22. Plus, the menu there is very limited and food is average.

If you are seeking a "Marvel" type of experience, go to Parlour Bar on Washington Ave. before the First Ave. show. It's below it's sister restaurant Borough. The upstairs restaurant has some of the most decadent food in MPLS, and Parlour, while having a smaller menu, has amazing offerings, and what is unquestionably the best burger I've ever eaten. (note: It's not a burger joint and the burger there costs $13.00 ala carte and has won a ton of awards locally). As well, the drinks are both reasonably priced and IMO even better than the ones at Marvel. You will still need a short cab to First Ave from there but its' only about 23 blocks or so.

Actually, the Thai place (I forget name) two doors down from the Turf is quite good. Also Ngon Bistro just up University has wonderful offerings of Asian specialties inherent in the immigrant neighborhood right there. Also has one of the better local craft beer selections near the turf. It's a step up quality wise from Khan's to be sure if you are looking for something that may fit an interest in Asian food. I concur with Axe on the rec. of 128 Cafe. It's quite good, and on the higher end. I'd think you can walk in that day and do OK with getting seated, but reservations would not be a bad idea.

A few other ideas:
112 Eatery-Downtown
The Strip Club (steaks not boobs)-St. Paul
Bar La Grassa-Downtown
Heyday-Uptown

Things to avoid at all costs
Anything by Parasole Restaurants (including the way overrated and overpriced Manny's)
Anything by Blue Plate dining (including The Freehouse and Longfellow Grille)
Anything in the Crave family (including Crave, Union and Figlio)
Marvel Bar if you substitute for Parlour.

Feel free to shoot anything else you might be wondering about my way. I just re-read this message before hitting reply and looks like I got everything right.

Shug
08-21-2014, 04:45 PM
Thanks, eugene and greekguy, for the tips. I had been looking at Parlour and Borough, too, so thanks for the good info. That's the kind of place we like so we will probably take your advice. Too bad about Marvel, because it looks pretty good. We may hit it for one drink, if there is time. Smack Shack looks good for a lobster roll, yum! I'm gonna check out both your recs for St. Paul, but we probably won't be able to hit those, our flight on Thur doesn't get in until 4 PM, so time will be tight that evening.

Other spots I was considering for food and drinks (some of them for proximity to our hotel, The Westin, given the need to get to the shows on time, kinda thinking a light happy hour meal with good cocktails)

Dakota Jazz
Six15 Room
112 Eatery (you already said it was good)
Vincent

Any thoughts on those?

Hopefully we can meet up at some point, probably easier at the shows.

bryguy
08-21-2014, 05:54 PM
a couple shades of green here. wish I could join! Enjoy!

axeeugene
08-21-2014, 07:02 PM
Dakota Jazz
Six15 Room
112 Eatery (you already said it was good)
Vincent

Any thoughts on those?

The Dakota is a magnificent place to see a show. But the food is middling and the drinks aren't special. You'd be better off going to The Depot :)

I'm definitely a cheap eater and drinker (it comes with the salary territory) so you're better off taking greekguy's advice than mine. Nevertheless, I suspect he'll agree with my Dakota assessment.

Try to get some beer at Fulton if you can. It's good shite.

greekguy
08-22-2014, 04:31 PM
Agree with Axe on the Dakota-Only go if you are seeing a show, but overpriced and average.

Six15 room? Pass. Not sure how you even heard of that. We have very little "hotel" restaurants in town worth your time, and this is a hack job from start to finish. Very poor.

Vincent A Restaurant is quite excellent. It falls into a special occasion category for me if that tells you anything. Very white linen and high sass. Hard to go against that.

112 is damn amazing. It's where you are quite likely to see local chefs eating after they get off of work. Also open late-could easily grab a late night snack there after the First Ave. show.

Plenty of good local beer at most of these places. In addition to Fulton, Surly and Indeed brewing are putting out some amazing products that you can't get in Arizona or really anywhere else right now.

Like I mentioned, you won't be disappointed if you go to Marvel, it just might not live up to the hype it must have that made you think of it as a Must Do. Frankly, it has too many dorks coming to it from the suburbs who want to impress their suburb friends that they found a bar without a sign indicating where it is. Wow..cool.

Hope you have fun!

carolinagirl
08-25-2014, 05:12 PM
I'm in for all 3. Flying in Thursday, will hit the Turf Club and both nights at First Ave - then flying back on Sunday. Have no plans on Thursday pre-show and might be free before the show on Friday also if any of y'all are getting together for food and drinks - or just for drinks...

I'm also coming up the next weekend for the Replacements/Hold Steady/Lucero show. WOO-HOO!

axeeugene
08-25-2014, 07:32 PM
I'm in for all 3. Flying in Thursday, will hit the Turf Club and both nights at First Ave - then flying back on Sunday. Have no plans on Thursday pre-show and might be free before the show on Friday also if any of y'all are getting together for food and drinks - or just for drinks...

I'm also coming up the next weekend for the Replacements/Hold Steady/Lucero show. WOO-HOO!

Back in the early 2000s, a bunch of us used to get together with extreme regularity before Jayhawks shows. These days, it feels like the energy's out of the room on that one. I'm only heading to the Turf Club show this time myself, having seen the Electric Fetus instore and seen the inside of First Avenue enough for a lifetime... But drinks are always fun.

carolinagirl
08-25-2014, 09:47 PM
Back in the early 2000s, a bunch of us used to get together with extreme regularity before Jayhawks shows. These days, it feels like the energy's out of the room on that one. I'm only heading to the Turf Club show this time myself, having seen the Electric Fetus instore and seen the inside of First Avenue enough for a lifetime... But drinks are always fun.

Yeah- maybe 10 yrs ago I offered someone on here a free ticket if they could pick me up at the airport and give me a lift to the (sold out) show. Had takers right away! Wound up not needing the ride but met for dinner and drinks and gave him my extra ticket anyway. Good times!

carolinagirl
08-25-2014, 10:44 PM
Back in the early 2000s, a bunch of us used to get together with extreme regularity before Jayhawks shows. These days, it feels like the energy's out of the room on that one.

Yeah, I guess we're too old to have fun anymore... ;)

Ordinarygirl
08-27-2014, 12:53 PM
Hi all... the fanpage tells me I have not visited this board since late 2011... but I see that many of you are here still/again. Just like old times.

I'm happy to add my name to the Saturday First Ave roll call. Looking very much forward to the re-issue tour since I first heard about at one of Gary's solo shows (where he was joined by Karen and yes it was delightful!).

david_skoglund
08-29-2014, 06:29 PM
I'll be at all three Twin Cities shows. See you all there.

NewGuy
09-02-2014, 05:16 PM
I'll be at Friday's First Avenue performance.

Being that I'm not all that active with social media, maybe PD can clarify:

Is there some sort of tie-in with Yahoo where you have the ability to view Saturday's performance?

CaffeineZombie
09-04-2014, 10:30 AM
See you tonight! (and tomorrow, and Saturday.) :)

bryguy
09-04-2014, 11:28 AM
Full report expected, people!

jcarlile
09-04-2014, 11:55 AM
Jerry and I will be at First Avenue both nights. :-). Looking forward to seeing you Ben, also anyone else we know! Will miss you Andrew..

theweekend
09-05-2014, 01:48 PM
I'll be at the Saturday show. But I'm going to the Twins game first. Hopefully it doesn't go extra innings because I don't leave baseball games until they are over.

axeeugene
09-05-2014, 06:26 PM
Get there early tonight, people, so you have the privilege of seeing Two Harbors. They are GREAT.

CaffeineZombie
09-08-2014, 09:57 PM
Hope everyone had a great time this past weekend in the Twin Cities. I know I did! :)

At times, it seemed like a class reunion, I saw so many people that I knew!
Some people, I haven't seen in years! I wish I would've had a chance to chat longer with some of you. And it was nice to meet the kewl kidz from the East Coast (and elsewhere?!) and hang with you up front on the rail on Friday night.

There were a couple people who I ran into on Saturday, I knew you were fanpagers and looked familiar, but I totally spaced out re: your names (real or board handle). I've never been good with that, and my memory's not what it once was. Sorry about that.

(Did anyone make The Pilgrimage out to the HTH?)

axeeugene
09-08-2014, 10:06 PM
(Did anyone make The Pilgrimage out to the HTH?)

Ahh, memories!

I've written a number of board posts on that subject. I still remember relating the story of buying a used car by taking it on a test drive past the Hall. Pretty good sign that was a sale!

Jedey
09-09-2014, 07:55 AM
I rode my bike out to Hollywood Town Hall last year, It was a little sad to see it in a state of disrepair, there were holes under the eaves that had birds flying in and out.

Hollywood Town Hall (https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/v/t1.0-9/1185960_10201209808119726_278007023_n.jpg?oh=4a835 a1acd43e682cb44d2e6d76e215b&oe=548E6FAD&__gda__=1420133056_20618ebec5104b0af31030aa8624777 b)

bryguy
09-09-2014, 09:56 AM
Maybe we should start a Kickstarter campaign: Save the Hollywood Town Hall!

JoMama
09-09-2014, 09:57 AM

sheesh, the way things are going on around here I might as well move in and fix up the place...

girl incognito1
09-09-2014, 02:25 PM

Not a bad idea! It's a neat building, and of course a part of Jayhawks history! :cool::cool::cool:

bryguy
09-09-2014, 05:23 PM
Not a bad idea! It's a neat building, and of course a part of Jayhawks history! :cool::cool::cool:

I think there was talk a few years ago of fans wanting the band to play a show to raise money for the repairs. I don't see that happening, but you'd just hate to see that building crumble.

sacred roots
09-09-2014, 06:38 PM
The last I heard, the building was in dire shape. I haven't been out there in a while - might be worth a trip to check it out.

JoMama
09-09-2014, 07:17 PM
The last I heard, the building was in dire shape. I haven't been out there in a while - might be worth a trip to check it out.

When Kim, Mike and I went out there, I think that was 2010, there was evidence of leakage creeping down the walls. This was a roof that had been re-shingled some time after the Jayhawks' photo shoot. It would really take a labor of love to save it. Had I the money, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I have a vision for what could be done, but it would take a commitment of some time.
A couple of fundraiser concerts and someone could get a head start---fix the leaks so no further damage occurs inside, and install some ventilation so the moist air can be drawn out to keep it from molding. Finish insulating the walls so the cold winter doesn't instill further condensation that will lead to mold and decay once the weather is warmer.
Someone had done something years back in line of restoring it by putting some iron beams under the floor, and that's a big plus.