PDA

View Full Version : Reissue D-Day: What will you listen to first?

bryguy
06-30-2014, 10:28 PM
Part of me wants to lock myself in a quiet place for a few hours and listen from SOL through RDM. Not sure I can do that.

I think I'm going to jump to "Who Made You King?" then back to SOL and listen in chunks as time allows.

You? Stake your claim.

wheelhousetunes
07-01-2014, 09:46 AM
I'll be doing it chronologically.

bryguy
07-02-2014, 05:36 PM
Five Cornered Blues is a GREAT song. Man. Gary was clearly experimenting with guitar sounds, coming up with some "fuzz over folk" beauty. That kind of sums up Smile for me as whole. Beautiful songs, layered with envelope stretching for the band.

It will take me days to really let all this new music soak in. Loving every second of it.

The remastering is quite noticeable. There is a depth and warmth that really stands out. 5 out 5 stars.

JoMama
07-05-2014, 04:52 PM
My intrigue with 'Smile' made me start with it, and 'Five Cornered Blues" wins the sweepstakes among the bonus tracks for me...
After that the Rainy Day Music bonus material makes me consider how so many of these demos are of the quality that they could have been worked up into album-worthy tracks (except the 'Tailspin' Inbred version, which doesn't do much for me beyond its historical context) Nothing is totally throwaway, though it's not always easy to follow all the rabbit trails either...
Very delighted over all. :)

mystic_spiral_3
07-05-2014, 10:17 PM
I decided to go chronologically. I started listening to SOL in my car today but I'm only 5 songs in.

bryguy
07-07-2014, 12:44 AM
My intrigue with 'Smile' made me start with it, and 'Five Cornered Blues" wins the sweepstakes among the bonus tracks for me...
After that the Rainy Day Music bonus material makes me consider how so many of these demos are of the quality that they could have been worked up into album-worthy tracks (except the 'Tailspin' Inbred version, which doesn't do much for me beyond its historical context) Nothing is totally throwaway, though it's not always easy to follow all the rabbit trails either...
Very delighted over all. :)

Hey Jo, hadn't seen you in these parts for a bit. I'm with you on 5CB- I'd love to hear it live!

JoMama
07-16-2014, 06:47 AM
Hey Jo, hadn't seen you in these parts for a bit. I'm with you on 5CB- I'd love to hear it live!

I continue to replay 'Smile" in my head lately, lots of earwigs among these confections... RDM not so much, except 'Angelyne' which I play on guitar a bit. Harvest Records sold out their Sound Of Lies and for some reason hasn't been able to get it back. That's okay, SOL is up for some heavy rotation when it gets here... Looking forward to some live gigs in the States, hopefully sometime this fall..

bryguy
07-16-2014, 12:39 PM
I continue to replay 'Smile" in my head lately, lots of earwigs among these confections... RDM not so much, except 'Angelyne' which I play on guitar a bit. Harvest Records sold out their Sound Of Lies and for some reason hasn't been able to get it back. That's okay, SOL is up for some heavy rotation when it gets here... Looking forward to some live gigs in the States, hopefully sometime this fall..

I'm sending you a box of earwigs. thanks for a visual i cannot get rid of.

JoMama
07-16-2014, 10:36 PM

gotta love 'em (fried with a little chocolate and some ginger would be nice)

JoMama
07-17-2014, 07:24 AM

boy, I seriously dropped the catchphrase ball here... I think the proper term is "earworm", not "earwig"... :o

(meanwhile, I'm humming "buh-buh BAH-BAH buh-buh BAH-BAH buh-buh-buh" as I'm out walking the river....)