PDA

View Full Version : Gary and PD interview with The Current

ungere
06-28-2014, 05:11 PM
http://blog.thecurrent.org/2014/06/gary-louris-of-the-jayhawks-on-revisiting-the-smile-era/

Shug
06-29-2014, 10:30 PM
Gary sez at the very end of the interview West Coast dates not until January 2015 :(

Interesting his comments about Mockingbird Time and his lack of elaboration or details and the lack of a follow up question about it from the interviewer. Sounds like he regrets that album. I can understand why.

I can't stop thinking about how great its gonna be to hear Gary, Tim and Karen's voices on Sound Of Lies songs live!

BluesisBlood
06-30-2014, 12:14 PM
I can't listen to the interview...what did he say about Mockingbird Time?

bryguy
06-30-2014, 12:16 PM
Interesting interview. The future of The Jayhawks is always a bit unclear (at least with a long term view), which is understandable.

I enjoyed hearing Gary look back at those great albums. His comments about Mockingbird time were stand-outs. From everything I've read, Gary is very proud of the album, as he should be; it's fantastic. My own thought is that he was referring to having that incarnation of the band together again (touring). He made some veiled references but chose not to elaborate, likely out of respect- which I can appreciate.

But I'd rather focus on the here and now with the band. It IS a great time to be a Jayhawks fan. Reissues, new (old) tunes, a major tour (and west coast!!). When we look at all the history, ups, downs, good, bad, ugly, I feel a sense of gratitude for what we're getting. What lies ahead? Even Gary doesn't know. This may be the last hurrah. I've thought that before, only to be surprised. I hope that is the case here.

can't wait to catch this tour....!

bryguy
06-30-2014, 12:18 PM
I can't listen to the interview...what did he say about Mockingbird Time?

I can't remember Gary's exact words, but I think he mentioned being cautious about going back into the studio after feeling burned by it with MT. He said some were not all the way in and maybe did it, not out of desire, but because they felt like they "had to" or "needed to."

Listening to that section again, Gary said, "You can't recapture that chemistry," and that you need to function more like a team. Couple that with Olson's comments that the Jayhawks are now "defunct" (at least as far as he is concerned) we MAY get some insight into what Gary meant. The fact that the current line up is embarking on a pretty lengthy tour fills in the gaps I think.

bryguy
06-30-2014, 12:33 PM
http://blog.thecurrent.org/2014/06/gary-louris-of-the-jayhawks-on-revisiting-the-smile-era/

Sounds like PD had his work cut out for him!

PD- does that make you the 6th Jayhawk???

axeeugene
06-30-2014, 12:52 PM
PD- does that make you the 6th Jayhawk???

I believe that title is reserved for Jim Boquist.

lukpac
06-30-2014, 03:37 PM
I can't remember Gary's exact words, but I think he mentioned being cautious about going back into the studio after feeling burned by it with MT. He said some were not all the way in and maybe did it, not out of desire, but because they felt like they "had to" or "needed to."

Listening to that section again, Gary said, "You can't recapture that chemistry," and that you need to function more like a team. Couple that with Olson's comments that the Jayhawks are now "defunct" (at least as far as he is concerned) we MAY get some insight into what Gary meant. The fact that the current line up is embarking on a pretty lengthy tour fills in the gaps I think.

He touches on it in a few spots:

"[Rainy Day Music] ended up being our best selling record. I think it outdid Tomorrow The Green Grass, to this day. Back when records sold, records. When records sold records! It's when you used to tour to promote a record instead of make a record to promote your tour."

"I don't foresee making another record. I just don't have that Brett Favre syndrome, feeling like 'why don't they just, you know, why don't they just let it go?' But, on the other hand, I've done that before, I've closed the door, and just, found out, hey, I don't know how I'm going to feel next year. I just don't. So, maybe there's a spark of inspiration. Maybe we have such a great time in Europe, like 'hey, let's get the band back together!'...I don't know, I don't foresee it. I certainly wouldn't do it out of desperation. I would do it if there was really something; I've learned my lesson, with Mockingbird Time. You just can't necessarily capture that, re-capture that chemistry. You have to have everybody all in, as a team and really have, and be into something and not do it because you feel like you should, because you have reissues. So, I'm a little bit, um, I've been a little burnt on that, as far as, a little shy about making another record after what happened in 2010, so, we'll see."

bryguy
06-30-2014, 09:24 PM
thanks for getting the verbatim. I didn't see the first part as referring to the Jayhawks ("instead of making a record to promote a tour"). That's what the Stones and many others do. I remember Gary saying that when he and Mark talked about re-forming, they didn't want to just play the "old stuff," but wanted to write some new material.

I do want to sympathize with Mark here a bit though. While I personally LOVE the three post-Olson records, I can imagine it being tough for him to play through those songs while on tour (as evidenced by his body language noted by myself and others). I don't know if that's what Gary's referring to. Maybe the fact that Mark had to leave before recording was finished so he could support his album at the time (MCK). We'll probably never know what it was like. We're probably not supposed to. Every band/friendship/relationship/marriage has its issues. When we think of how much music we've been able to enjoy and for how long- it's pretty cool.

ChiefCrowe
07-17-2014, 12:42 PM
Thanks for posting... great interview, one of the best in some time!!

interesting to hear his take on Mockingbird. I thought it was a pretty good album, but not quite full of the magic of the others... some of the songs were quite good though.
It is hard to recapture that chemistry, but I think they also did a pretty good job with it overall.