View Full Version : Jayhawks - 2014-08-02 - Forest City, MN

05-29-2014, 11:17 AM
as mentioned here, as well as info about the re-issue release dates and such

Venue link:

07-29-2014, 11:14 AM
short little write up about this w/ends show

if anyone finds the (3) separate interviews with Gary, pls post a link if you could

07-29-2014, 11:56 AM
short little write up about this w/ends show

if anyone finds the (3) separate interviews with Gary, pls post a link if you could

all three videos are there. just let the first one finish and you'll see the other two come up in the screen for you to click on.

there is a refreshing honesty in this interview. it makes me sad too, knowing what Gary has gone through- things that are familiar in many families like my own. Glad he is sober.

07-29-2014, 08:59 PM
There was a fourth part of the Hazelden interview that appeared over the weekend.

08-01-2014, 06:56 PM
Extended interview w/ Gary Louris (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp5n10UoHcY)

08-03-2014, 05:51 PM
Anyone go to the show?

08-04-2014, 08:12 AM
Extended interview w/ Gary Louris (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp5n10UoHcY)

Great little interview. Sadness, triumph of the will kind of stuff. And for sure, the birds in the background had me looking out the window thinking there was a fight going on at my birdfeeder. I should have recognized the Midwestern accent on those sparrows.

08-04-2014, 09:29 AM
I went, did not see any other fanpagers that I recognized.

Good show, but then the clouds came in, it rained, then cleared up for the remainder of the show. Banded played right on through it all.

No Kraig though as he was absent due to a family emergency. Someone from the previous band filled in on fiddle for Kraig's duties. That kind of killed for me personally as I was really hoping to see KJJ to be up on stage, once again, with the 'Hawks....

I didn't keep a setlist, nor do I think the band actually was using one (Gary said they did not have one). But they played everything you'd expect them to play on this particular go around.

Any highlights? I'm sure there were but I was dealing with rain and trying to keep certain personal gear dry at the same time. So I got a little side tracked.

I know Tim sang 2 songs, Bottomless Cup and one other, possibly Life's Little Ups and Downs. Did Karen sing anything solo? Hmm, thinking no. But I did make one trip back to my car (during the show) to retrieve my umbrella so I know I missed a song or 2. Towards the end they did play a Golden Smog cover (Until You Came Along) which was quite nice to hear.

As for the venue, if you wanted to see a band in a nice grassy type setting, with not thousands of other people there, this was the show. Nice setting, fairly small crowd, I thought, with everyone sitting (if they brought one) in their own lawn chair (ahh, for once I got to sit for an entire show!). That hot sun with no shade though was quite brutal I might add. But once those clouds rolled over, instant relief from the sun, for all!

One thing I'll note though, for seeing as many concerts that I have seen over time, well for the past half dozen+ years or so I'll have an occasional dream of seeing one of my favorite local bands, in a really small and/or just plain strange setting, with not too many people there. You know, typical dream, rather abstract-"y."

Well the odd thing is, some of these concerts I have actually started to experience (post the dream)! And this show fit that bill (dream) pretty darn close, seeing the Jayhawks playing outdoors in MN, with no more than a few hundred ppl (the rain sent some to the gates), with LOTS of room to move about (read no people pushing/fighting to be up front etc), with small kids dancing w/parent no less than 30 feet from the stage, type of deal, well I think I can safely tell myself, yep ,that dream finally fulfilled.

Overall, glad I went! Sorry I didn't have more to say about the actual "show"

08-04-2014, 08:46 PM
That was a really profound, brave interview.
Gary's honesty was flat out powerful.
Fantastic questions, too.
I hear a lot of the pain that Gary talked about in the Vagabonds album.
"We'll get by but we don't know how.."

08-12-2014, 07:31 PM
Jayhawks at Hazelfest 2014 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szXy5wSZHSQ)