View Full Version : Wesley Stace's Cabinet of Wonders at City Winery 3/22/14

03-23-2014, 10:24 PM
Last night, Gary played a brief set as part of Wesley Stace's Cabinet of Wonders. It was a fun night with a mixture of music, literature, comedy, and poetry readings. Gary sang "Everybody Knows" (which made my evening) and "Settled Down Like Rain" by himself. Then John Wesley Harding (aka Mr. Stace) joined Gary for "Expecting to Fly" and JWH's band joined for "Tailspin." They joked that "Tailspin" sounds similar to a song called "My Back Pages." I'm not familiar with that song...anyone want to confirm?

The other performers were Wesley Stace and the English UK, David Grand (author), A. J. Croce, Eugene Mirman (comedy, he's voice of Gene on "Bob's Burgers"), Nada Surf, and Derrick Brown (poet).

Everyone took the stage for a number called (I think) "Singing a Song in the Morning" to close out the show.

It was a fun evening. If Gary does one of these shows again and it's in your town, I'd recommend it! :)

sacred roots
03-24-2014, 03:06 PM
My Back Pages is one of Bob Dylan's most famous early songs. A 1967 cover by The Byrds brought the song a much wider audience and is the version many people are most familiar with. Here's a link to a version from Dylan's 30th Anniversary TV special.

Wes made the same comment about Tailspin here in Minneapolis. I didn't immediately make the connection but I guess some of the chords are similar.

Sounds like it was a fun night. The edition of Wes's show last fall in Mpls (with Gary and Perlman both doing sets) was extremely enjoyable and I wholeheartedly agree that it's worth checking out if you get a chance.

03-25-2014, 11:51 AM
Wesley Stace ‏@WesleyStace Mar 22
It's Gary Louris, being great! http://instagram.com/p/l3h4h_pCR1/

Old Ceremony ‏@oldceremony Mar 23
@WesleyStace typical Louris.

This was a tweet sent out by Wesley Stace. I loved the reply : "typical Louris" haha!

The show was really wonderful! A different sort of variety show, as Sarah described above. GL sounded absolutely gorgeous. Never better. I see that GL posted elsewhere that he sat in (co taught?) a class at Princeton with Wesley Stace the next day. They mentioned that was going to happen, at the show. How cool is that??