Calexico
02-23-2014, 01:06 PM
A reissue? Where did you read this?

CaffeineZombie
02-23-2014, 06:20 PM
http://www.musiconvinyl.com/catalog/the-jayhawks/smile#.UwqCD87owsY

sacred roots
02-23-2014, 07:37 PM
I wouldn't hold my breath on that release date. This "news" popped up a few weeks ago and I contacted our guy at <record company redacted> with a WTF? He knew nothing about it and said that they hadn't licensed anything Jayhawks-related since they acquired the rights from American for Jayhawks material.

This, of course, doesn't mean that Smile isn't coming out on vinyl but it appears that somebody is jumping the gun with some pre-release info.

bryguy
02-24-2014, 12:25 AM
I wouldn't hold my breath on that release date. This "news" popped up a few weeks ago and I contacted our guy at <record company redacted> with a WTF? He knew nothing about it and said that they hadn't licensed anything Jayhawks-related since they acquired the rights from American for Jayhawks material.

This, of course, doesn't mean that Smile isn't coming out on vinyl but it appears that somebody is jumping the gun with some pre-release info.

Hey SR,

Hypothetical question: IF Smile were going to be reissued, WOULD it be POSSIBLE that Who Made You King COULD/MAYBE/MIGHT be included? Hypothetically speaking of course. I've long wanted a copy of that one.

JoMama
02-24-2014, 09:27 AM
Maybe instead of 3/10 it was supposed to be 10/3 as in October...
Maybe there's an expert hacker out there who has a lot of wishful thinking and time on his hands...
:eek:
Great idea though, I bet the proper mastering could make this one explode out of speakers, for those who don't play music through their phones...

kennthom
02-24-2014, 12:25 PM
It's on the diverse vinyl website which is a record shop in Wales

sacred roots
02-24-2014, 12:40 PM
Hey SR,

Hypothetical question: IF Smile were going to be reissued, WOULD it be POSSIBLE that Who Made You King COULD/MAYBE/MIGHT be included? Hypothetically speaking of course. I've long wanted a copy of that one.

Who Made You King has always been on the short list for Smile bonus material, dating back to 2008/9 when the reissue project was first proposed and the process of gathering archival material began in earnest. Aside from being a pretty awesome song, it's also a strong contender since a 2 inch multitrack master still exists.

Incidentally, copies of the UK promo CD version of Smile with Who Made You King and Gypsy in the Mood (aka Pretty Thing reprise) show up from time to time on the collectors market. I bought one a few years ago for under $20.

sacred roots
02-24-2014, 12:53 PM
Still haven't figured out the source for these "release" links. The date is clearly wrong and it should also be pointed out that if Smile was to be released on vinyl, it would be 2 LPs, not 1. And there would be bonus tracks.

This is all hypothetically speaking, of course.

;)

mystic_spiral_3
02-24-2014, 08:18 PM
I actually have "Who Made You King" somewhere but I don't remember how I found it or where my copy is.

jebstuart
02-25-2014, 08:19 PM
...I was really getting excited about this news. I hope the record company people pull the trigger on this one. Only one missing from my collection now. It is a sonic masterpiece. I always come back to Smile. Great tour as well. Those were the days.

kennthom
03-17-2014, 01:20 PM
Smile is out today , diverse vinyl in Wales got some in today

sacred roots
03-17-2014, 04:24 PM
My copy arrived on Saturday. Looks like they spent about 5 minutes working on the layout. And it sounds like it was mastered from a CD. They certainly didn't have access to the original tapes. Still haven't got a definitive answer from anyone at American, Sony (who handled the last round of reissues) or Universal (who is handling the next round of reissues) but it looks like there are two possibilities.

1) Universal is the largest record company in the world right now and they have divisions everywhere, including one in The Netherlands (Universal BV) - the label imprint on the back of this copy. It's possible somebody over there approved this without consulting anyone in the US - sort of a left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.

2) MOV - the Dutch vinyl company - is going rogue here, releasing it without proper licensing. Wouldn't be the first time that happened. For the record, MOV is a legit company - they were the authorized European distributor for the HTH and TTGG vinyl reissues a few years ago.

As a practical matter, I would strongly encourage people in the states to think twice before ordering this. In just a few months you will be able to buy a legit reissue - 2 LPs instead of one for improved fidelity, fresh remastering, bonus tracks, a digital download card and liner notes by Bob Ezrin. And it will be half the price of this.

Welcome to the modern music business. ;)

kennthom
03-17-2014, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the info , I will still buy this version as a collector but will also buy the proper release as I'm also an audiophile . There is nothing worse in this day and age as poor quality pressings of vinyl which happens a lot these days

jebstuart
03-17-2014, 08:26 PM
I think I can Smile now. Looks like the real thing is coming along. I believe I can hold out a few more months, years, decades...whatever it takes. Sounds like the reissue is getting the red carpet treatment.