PDA

View Full Version : Gary and Karen in Rochester, MN - March 6th

CaffeineZombie
02-11-2014, 09:08 AM
at the Rochester Art Center

w/ the Pines

$20 advance / $23 door

more info (http://blockpartyconcerts.com/2014/02/11/the-pines/)

JoMama
02-15-2014, 03:18 AM
what makes a guy more homesick than Gary playing in his hometown... would give anything to be in Rochester for this with the Zombie, the former boardmom, etc. :)
Nice venue they have there...

Runningpotleaf
02-19-2014, 11:05 AM
Less than a month away so cutting it a bit close, but nice find CZ!

edit:
what exact room/place is this, do you know?

JoMama
02-19-2014, 05:06 PM
Less than a month away so cutting it a bit close, but nice find CZ!

edit:
what exact room/place is this, do you know?

This is the Rochester Art Center which is attached to the Civic Center downtown.

Runningpotleaf
02-19-2014, 06:36 PM
I gathered that :rolleyes:

how many rooms are in that place? 5+?

I remember the old days being there and seeing many-a high school basketball tournament games there, from there they went on to State championships I believe. Also have seen a couple pro wresting (AWA) events there, and a concert or two. This was all in the old section/original section which isn't really still there is it?

JoMama
02-19-2014, 09:03 PM
I gathered that :rolleyes:

how many rooms are in that place? 5+?

I remember the old days being there and seeing many-a high school basketball tournament games there, from there they went on to State championships I believe. Also have seen a couple pro wresting (AWA) events there, and a concert or two. This was all in the old section/original section which isn't really still there is it?

:rolleyes: yeah, I figure you know, but the Art Center thing confuses me, because last time Gary played it was in that civic theater building just next to the entrance to the old arena, which is still there. The Civic Theater was right by that entrance, on the Center Street side. I'm not sure if they've renamed it or not, but the Art Center building, if I am not mistaken, was across the street from there, right next to the bridge overlooking the mighty Scumbro River.
Anywho, I'm sure Ben will clear this up. The link he provided has a tab called "venues" which shows some of these buildings, most of which are attached.

JoMama
02-19-2014, 09:05 PM
by the way, if Gary's playing the same hall, it will be like that place in Wabasha--a wide theater stage which is awesome. Great sightlines for everybody...

Runningpotleaf
02-23-2014, 12:02 PM
here are some pictures of this room from off their twitter page

https://twitter.com/realmusicseries

CaffeineZombie
02-23-2014, 05:29 PM
Gary's playing in the big room on the ground floor of the Rochester
Art Center. Where they have wedding receptions and private parties.

Last time Gary performed in Rochester (2008), he played in the smaller,
more intimate, Civic Theatre space.

bryguy
02-23-2014, 11:03 PM
I wonder if the Smile line-up, or some variation thereof, will tour (even in mini fashion) when/if Smile gets reissued.

sacred roots
02-24-2014, 11:16 AM
I wonder if the Smile line-up, or some variation thereof, will tour (even in mini fashion) when/if Smile gets reissued.

I just got my magic 8 ball out....

...."all signs point to yes".....

mystic_spiral_3
02-24-2014, 07:10 PM
That would be great!

bryguy
02-25-2014, 01:16 AM
Smile was the first Jayhawks album I bought at its release time. It's such a special album. Gary's writing during that period is really incredible, so I cannot wait to hear some of extras. Wouldn't that be AWESOME if CJJ tours with them?!

NY Fan
02-25-2014, 08:52 PM
I just got my magic 8 ball out....

...."all signs point to yes".....

Holy crap!

Wow, would that be great.

Runningpotleaf
02-26-2014, 01:54 PM
Gary's playing in the big room on the ground floor of the Rochester
Art Center. Where they have wedding receptions and private parties.

standing room only then it looks like?

zebulon
02-27-2014, 01:06 PM
And if Smile is reissued and if the line-up will tour, it surely means that the band will play Europe again! First time I saw them was in their Smile tour in Bilbao. Great times. Am I being logic? Wishful thinking.;)

Runningpotleaf
02-27-2014, 01:40 PM
Wouldn't that be AWESOME if KJJ tours with them?!

fixed that for you

bryguy
02-27-2014, 01:47 PM
fixed that for you

haha... missed that. thank you.

Runningpotleaf
02-27-2014, 01:55 PM
speaking of the Mayo Civic Auditorium, here's a ticket stub for sale on ebay from a show at some point during the 70's.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHAWN-PHILLIPS-1970s-concert-ticket-stub-rochester-minnesota-/351010055234

I wasn't at this show or anything, but kind of a random Rochester related thing to find for sale on ebay!

bryguy
02-27-2014, 02:15 PM
And if Smile is reissued and if the line-up will tour, it surely means that the band will play Europe again! First time I saw them was in their Smile tour in Bilbao. Great times. Am I being logic? Wishful thinking.;)

I wish I had seen that tour. The other reissue tours have been pretty small, so this could be the same. Touring at all is pretty amazing at this point, especially after Mark referred to the band as "defunct." Maybe he just meant the band with him in it. I would LOVE to see a good tour. Fans would totally support it and this great alum deserves another trip around the horn!

mystic_spiral_3
02-27-2014, 08:00 PM
I saw the Jayhawks pre-Smile and very post-Smile (Sept. 2001 and 2002). All shows were great!

musicdoc
03-05-2014, 02:57 PM
For those coming to Rochester for the show, the Art Center is attached to the southern most point of the Civic Center. I've recently seen Cloud Cult and Jeremy Messersmith there. Unbelievable venue.
Basically a large flat room, stage front and center of course, the crowd will have folding chairs. Break in the middle and approximately 15 rows deep and approx 25 chairs across on each side. There's also standing room in the back. You will not believe how close you are to the stage. Most intimate venue I've experienced.
To say I'm really looking forward to this is the understatement of the year. I highly encourage anyone on the fence to make the trip, it will be a nice crowd, great venue and as 'up close and personal' as you can get.
I know it's late in the game, but who all is going?

CaffeineZombie
03-06-2014, 08:39 AM
I'll be there tonight. :)

musicdoc
03-06-2014, 09:29 AM
Just an FYI, talked with Kurt who's running the show tonight, the timeline is perhaps unexpected since both Gary and the Pines are 'co-headliners', one has to go first and given that Gary is a bit more acoustic, he'll be leading off. So the schedule will be:

7:30-40: Gary and Karen will play ~60 min

15 minute intermission, followed by the Pines.

So make sure to get there early. Again, you probably will never have the chance to be this close to the music down the road.

Who knows we may be privy to a few songs from his upcoming solo album.

See you tonight!

Runningpotleaf
03-06-2014, 09:36 AM
Just an FYI, talked with Kurt who's running the show tonight,

So make sure to get there early. Again, you probably will never have the chance to be this close to the music down the road.
See you tonight!

Not doubting you as I've never been in this room before. But he/they have played in other smaller rooms recently, places such as the Dakota (full band acoustic) and that Anoka show were both real small venues (~200 ppl). The way you describe this room, you make it sound like it is smaller than the Civic Theater room he played in back in 08? From the pictures online it does not appear to be smaller than the Civic Theater space.

Anyway, hoping to be there tonight though, and thanks for posting the set times!!

CaffeineZombie
03-06-2014, 09:40 AM
This room is quite a bit bigger than the Civic Theatre space, Mr. Potleaf.

Hopefully it's packed tonight.

musicdoc
03-06-2014, 10:26 AM
From a square foot vantage it is bigger, but with the way it is set up, minimally raised stage, first row practically on the stage, primarily the center of the room utilized, I think you'll see what I mean as it has a much smaller feel than the other civic center venues. You guys can bring your tape measures if you like, I"m going to focus more on the music. :)

CaffeineZombie
03-06-2014, 11:56 PM
Gary Louris & Karen Grotberg
Real Music Series
Rochester Art Center - Rochester, MN
March 6th, 2014

O1. I'm Gonna Make You Love Me
02. Poor Little Fish
03. Waiting For The Sun
04. Save It For A Rainy Day
05. Haywire
06. Two Hearts
07. Everybody Knows
08. Tailspin
09. Sound Of Lies
10. Settled Down Like Rain
11. Ain't No End
12. I'd Run Away
13. Vagabonds
14. Nothing Left To Borrow

(on the setlist but not played: All The Right Reasons, Blue)

Great show! Highlight for me was an amazing version of "Ain't No End". :)

BTW, nice to meet you, Musicdoc !

musicdoc
03-07-2014, 09:10 AM
Reallly enjoyed the show last night, especially meeting the Zombie and also Running Potleaf.
Intimate venue with Gary on guitar and harmonica and Karen on piano and most importantly providing super harmonies. For me the added harmonies really made the show. Even though this was 'stripped down' really had a full sound.
Call me nostalgic, but hearing some of the older Jayhawk tunes up close and personal while sitting in the front row with real Jayhawk fans while glancing out of the window glass wall of the Art Center looking at the snow covered hills, streetlights and the occasional passersby walking somewhat hunched over in their winter coats with hoods up was just quintessentially Minnesota.

Took me back to the days when the 'Hawks helped get me through dealing with colicky kids and stressful work environment in the mid 90s.

But it wasn't all just nostalgia, the musicianship was great and though we weren't privy to any of the new tunes from his upcoming album, some of the highlights of the stage banter includes:

Gary's favorite album of the rock n' roll era: Sound of Lies
Re-issues of Sound of Lies, Smile, Rainy Day Music starting in June with some 'get togethers to celebrate that'.

The only 'fail' of the night was my attempted selfie with Gary that wasn't exactly centered, he seemed to think it was funny though.

Hope to catch them in whatever incarnation this summer.

ChiefCrowe
03-07-2014, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the review, definitely looking forward to seeing him live again and of course the reissues!

Runningpotleaf
03-08-2014, 04:42 PM
Great show indeed, really glad I made the trip! Can't really say any more than what's been said already, but attached is the setlist I grabbed, sign my both Karen and Gary

wheelhousetunes
03-13-2014, 09:48 AM
some of the highlights of the stage banter includes:

Re-issues of Sound of Lies, Smile, Rainy Day Music starting in June with some 'get togethers to celebrate that'.

This gets me all jacked up. :D