View Full Version : Last nights show in C,ville VA.

10-01-2003, 10:58 AM

My first post here. Saw the band at Starr Hill Music hall in Charlottesville Va last night: ( Im dead on my feet @ work today because of it...) They headlined the show and it was awesome. All the guys seemed to be having a brilliant time goofing around with each other, and they did the physicadelic "Sister Cry" during the encore.

This is my second show, after having seen them last year doing the acoustic sets pre-RDM's release.

Gary happened to plug the "Jayhawks Fan Page" and mentioned the "Good" folks on the message board .....I was curious if any of they guys in the band hang around here in the forums that you know of??

Anyway, had good fun, was surprised they were doing Sound of Lies Material......

10-01-2003, 11:07 AM
Bless your heart.

Yes, they masquerade around here all of the time....I think last time it was Gary posing as a young lass who was sickly and from the county in which Hollywood Town Hall lies.

Anyone else?

10-01-2003, 11:16 AM
Well you know how it is, I thought it curious that he'd actually mention that.....Not that it really matters.

I suppose it sounds damn silly, but I got about three feet from Gary, could see the settings on his stomp boxes, and his Matchless amp...still have serious ringing in my left ear.

It was like a blissful "Fuzz-fest". I love this band, have ever since 91-92.
They keep coming to my hometown and I dig it sooo much. Glad to see them doing well right now....your location is MN. so i suppose you've seen them a ton-o-times, huh??

NY Fan
10-01-2003, 12:49 PM
Hey Loonie, thanks for the posts -- we've got a few gear-heads here, and if you're a player PLEASE post your notes on last night's pedals, settings, etc., etc. Any and all info appreciated.

What Sounds of Lies stuff was covered?...

-- GM

10-01-2003, 12:59 PM
great to see some reviews coming through. But they are so different. One night the guys are having a good time and the other they seem uninspired.

Change these moods in a band that fast?? Or is it the mood the crowd is in?

10-01-2003, 04:32 PM
I was close enough to see the pedals, but didn't pay a whole lot of attention to the exact settings, sorry:(

One thing that was of note, and i suppose it's common knowledge to you guys, is Stephen McCarthy's use of Flange+ Phase shift along with his pedal steel work. He did a really good job of generating sounds that had a "Organ" type vibe to them. His lead work was interesting too, in that Red Tele of his w/ the Parsons /white string bender he REALLY uses that thing to effect, and did a good job.
As far as "Sound of Lies"stuff, They did "Haywire" and "Bottomless Cup", the latter which was absolutlely beautiful.

Concerning the bands demeanor last evening, they were really "Up-Beat". Pearlman must be really modest or something....but even he was seeming to have a good time. Louris "bopped" his noggin against his mic which got a good laugh from all. I dunno, maybe it was me, I'm biased I'm sure, but if they were just going though the motions they fooled a whole room full of people real good.

NY Fan
10-02-2003, 07:49 AM
Terrific. I think Stephen has impressed a lot of us. When I saw them earlier this year, I don't think he was using any flange/chorus (although Gary was using both a Phase 90 and a Rotosphere, as he did on tv last weekend), but he had a boost of some kind. He also fools with his volume knob a lot, like many blues guys. And yes, the b-bender is very cool.

Sounds like a show more normal than a few of the poorer reviews posted here lately. Thanks.

-- GM

10-02-2003, 08:02 AM
Tell me if happen to know. What is that new flat top that Gary's using now? Looks like a d-28, but isn't a Martin, and has that carved dimond shaped "support" like lots of Pre-war Martins had??

Last year he seemed to be using the j45 quite a bit, and is now using this guitar instead.

10-02-2003, 01:23 PM
I've only heard them play about 13 times which isn't as much as others on the board. I'm not from here.

Just trying to have a little fun!

It is appreciated when people post reviews here. Thanks

10-02-2003, 01:24 PM
the c'ville show was incredible. the band was very upbeat -- because they sounded good and because the twins won that day, according to gary. the only unfortunate thing -- very minor -- was that the setlist they were going from promised to play baltimore and they didn't. i've been hoping to see that song live for a decade. hey marc if you're really single i have a friend who'se been in love with you forever, except she's in the peace corps in el salvador at the moment.

10-03-2003, 05:40 AM
Yeah, about that set list, if you noticed about two thirds of the way through the set, Gary kinda leaned down and spoke to a girl up front who was wanting to hear "Settled Down Like Rain", and then played that, so I suppose that's why Baltimore got booted.

It's odd, I was back by the rail that guards the stairwell for a while, standing next to a guy who kept shouting, "trouble...TROUBLE !!", which got me to thinking...."Yeah, YEAH".......

I can't complain...when they played here Jan. of 2002 they played "Jane" which just floored me............Hope they come back again, damn i love those guys.....

10-05-2003, 09:16 PM
did you happen to jot down the exact playlist?

10-06-2003, 05:17 AM
Originally posted by dsh5p
did you happen to jot down the exact playlist?

Nope, sorry. I can't even recall now what the first song was they played.

I know these were on the list though:

Waiting for the sun
Settled down like Rain
Bottonless Cup
Tampa to Tulsa
Pretty little Hairdoo
Sister Cry
Stumblin through the dark

....and I think "Break in the Clouds" too, but I'm not sure. If you were there, verify these for me, and add any I've missed....the order is totally screwed I'm afraid.......