PDA

View Full Version : Watch the road folks...

JoMama
08-23-2013, 06:47 AM
Ok, maybe some folks think I'm sounding cynical or sarcastic lately, and perhaps this is on my mind more than a little.
Just a reminder for those of you who drive interstates not to rely on regular looks at your phone or navigation devices.
A friend from high school, Tom Swift, huge heart of a guy, was killed last weekend in Oregon by a guy who wasn't aware that the lane in front of him had slowed to almost stopping... He wasn't paying attention. He rammed into the rear of Tom's car, pushing it into the car in front of him. This is at interstate speed, folks. So please pay attention while driving. It's not just you on the road, but some folks who should NOT be allowed on the road... :)
Tom Swift was a guy like the kind you'd love to be around. Always looking for humor. In high school he used to do a lot of stop-motion and clay-mation films that even the film teacher used in classes. He made short movies with a bunch of us kids occasionally getting little bits. He also liked pranks, like walking unannounced through a pep fest dressed as Darth Vader and grabbing the mic to say "The Force will be with our team tonight!" and stuff like that. I got to participate in a few of his "events" and he routinely filmed them so in later years when a bunch of us were in town we'd have a film night and watch his crazy films.
Tom was a big hearted guy who was taking care of his parents the last 20 years, sacrificing career opportunities and such because they had health issues with old age and couldn't afford to hire out or go into nursing homes.
The guy who hit him was driving without a license, a man who had a history of DUIs and was trying to live a better life, but on this day wasn't paying attention to the road in front of him.

mystic_spiral_3
08-23-2013, 08:34 PM
*hug* Sorry for your loss Joe. Thanks for sharing your story, as well as providing sound cautionary advice. :(

ChiefCrowe
08-26-2013, 12:59 PM
very sad to hear that story!

I think everyone needs to watch this moving new doc. about texting and driving called It Can Wait.
You can see it here:

http://www.itcanwait.com

JayB
08-27-2013, 06:56 AM
That's sad man... sorry for your loss, Joe.

Incidentally, you see FAR more people on their phones while driving in the US than you do here in the UK. Seems no one really gives a crap in the US.

JoMama
08-27-2013, 07:01 PM
That's sad man... sorry for your loss, Joe.

Incidentally, you see FAR more people on their phones while driving in the US than you do here in the UK. Seems no one really gives a crap in the US.

I just saw a lady pull into the lane directly in front of a big truck. There was barely a car-length's room for her and gosh that truck had to put on his brakes. He blew his truck horn for a good 20 seconds straight right behind her to let her know just how insanely foolish her decision was. It was not just any big truck, but a fuel tanker. :eek: That lady was within inches of being smoked like my buddy, and I was stuck right next to the truck with my son in the car. I couldn't see if she was on her phone but that was about the stupidest thing I've ever seen someone do...These mountain-driving people are a double-edged sword: The windy roads make you a "better driver" but the people who take them for granted suffer bigger consequences... Cars need to be outlawed... If you can't walk to where you work, shop, etc. then you're wasting your time (yeah, I know. I WISH it was that easy).