PDA

View Full Version : Bob Dylan's The Bootleg Series Vol. 10 Another Self Portrait (1969 - 1971)

JayB
07-16-2013, 06:31 AM
Sounds cool to me...

http://youtu.be/GFdgwMhWcV4

Bob Dylan's Bootleg Series Volume 10 - "Another Self Portrait". Out August 27. The sessions from 1969-1971 that led to "Self Portrait" and "New Morning".

Haggischomper
07-16-2013, 10:41 AM
Looking forwards to this one

JayB
07-16-2013, 10:48 AM
Ditto!

Calexico
07-16-2013, 12:41 PM
Seems, to me, to be a lesser celebrated/explored area of Dylanology.

Haggischomper
07-16-2013, 09:05 PM
And with good reason! Still, this is exciting and most definitely interesting. Given how shite I find modern music, interesting is definitely girding my loins.

JayB
07-17-2013, 05:49 AM
The Self Portrait and New Morning Albums are definitely not his finest... but a large part of that is due to production, so hearing paired down versions of those songs has got to be an improvement.

The thing will come out as a double CD with the outtakes and what have you, and as a 4 CD box set which will include the full set of Dylan & The Band at the Isle Of Wight (which will likely be about a billion quid).

ChiefCrowe
07-17-2013, 03:27 PM
Great article about it

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/bob-dylan-revisits-self-portrait-on-next-edition-of-bootleg-series-20130716

Haggischomper
07-28-2013, 02:28 PM
Amazon price for the box is $105

JayB
07-29-2013, 05:15 AM
I think I'll be opting for the double CD with a download of the extra stuff!

JayB
07-29-2013, 05:17 AM
77 quid in the UK.

JoMama
07-29-2013, 07:40 AM
The Self Portrait and New Morning Albums are definitely not his finest... but a large part of that is due to production, so hearing paired down versions of those songs has got to be an improvement.

The thing will come out as a double CD with the outtakes and what have you, and as a 4 CD box set which will include the full set of Dylan & The Band at the Isle Of Wight (which will likely be about a billion quid).

I remember seeing a boot of some of these outtakes years ago. It was of higher quality, and convinced me that "Self Portrait" consisted of the worst of the sessions.
From Wiki: Greil Marcus' opening sentence in his Rolling Stone review was: "What is this shit?"
And Bob's explanation:
in a Rolling Stone interview taken in 1984, Dylan gave a different reason for the album's release:
“ At the time, I was in Woodstock, and I was getting a great degree of notoriety for doing nothing. Then I had that motorcycle accident , which put me out of commission. Then, when I woke up and caught my senses, I realized that I was workin' for all these leeches. And I didn't wanna do that. Plus, I had a family, and I just wanted to see my kids.
I'd also seen that I was representing all these things that I didn't know anything about. Like I was supposed to be on acid. It was all storm-the-embassy kind of stuff—Abbie Hoffman in the streets—and they sorta figured me as the kingpin of all that. I said, 'Wait a minute, I'm just a musician. So my songs are about this and that. So what?' But people need a leader. People need a leader more than a leader needs people, really. I mean, anybody can step up and be a leader, if he's got the people there that want one. I didn't want that, though.
But then came the big news about Woodstock, about musicians goin' up there, and it was like a wave of insanity breakin' loose around the house day and night. You'd come in the house and find people there, people comin' through the woods, at all hours of the day and night, knockin' on your door. It was really dark and depressing. And there was no way to respond to all this, you know? It was as if they were suckin' your very blood out. I said, 'Now wait, these people can't be my fans. They just can't be.' And they kept comin'. We had to get out of there.
This was just about the time of that Woodstock festival, which was the sum total of all this bullshit. And it seemed to have something to do with me, this Woodstock Nation, and everything it represented. So we couldn't breathe. I couldn't get any space for myself and my family, and there was no help, nowhere. I got very resentful about the whole thing, and we got outta there.
We moved to New York. Lookin' back, it really was a stupid thing to do. But there was a house available on MacDougal Street, and I always remembered that as a nice place. So I just bought this house, sight unseen. But it wasn't the same when we got back. The Woodstock Nation had overtaken MacDougal Street also. There'd be crowds outside my house. And I said, 'Well, fuck it. I wish these people would just forget about me. I wanna do something they can't possibly like, they can't relate to. They'll see it, and they'll listen, and they'll say, 'Well, let's get on to the next person. He ain't sayin' it no more. He ain't given' us what we want,' you know? They'll go on to somebody else. But the whole idea backfired. Because the album went out there, and the people said, 'This ain't what we want,' and they got more resentful. And then I did this portrait for the cover. I mean, there was no title for that album. I knew somebody who had some paints and a square canvas, and I did the cover up in about five minutes. And I said, 'Well, I'm gonna call this album Self Portrait.' ”
As to why he chose to release a double album, Dylan replied, "Well, it wouldn't have held up as a single album—then it really would've been bad, you know. I mean, if you're gonna put a lot of crap on it, you might as well load it up!"
[I]Later, Cameron Crowe interviewed Dylan for his liner notes to 1985's Biograph, a boxed-set retrospective of Dylan's career. When asked about Self Portrait, Dylan added more details to the story:
“ 'Self Portrait' was a bunch of tracks that we'd done all the time I'd gone to Nashville. We did that stuff to get a [studio] sound. To open up we'd do two or three songs, just to get things right and then we'd go on and do what we were going to do. And then there was a lot of other stuff that was just on the shelf. But I was being bootlegged at the time and a lot of stuff that was worse was appearing on bootleg records. So I just figured I'd put all this stuff together and put it out, my own bootleg record, so to speak. You know, if it actually had been a bootleg record, people probably would have sneaked around to buy it and played it for each other secretly. Also, I wasn't going to be anybody's puppet and I figured this record would put an end to that...I was just so fed up with all that who people thought I was nonsense."

Calexico
08-04-2013, 09:33 AM
77 quid in the UK.

What? That's a fucking scandal. I won't be buying it.

Haggischomper
08-04-2013, 05:49 PM
Thank God there isn't a recession, and times aren't tough...

JoMama
08-04-2013, 08:22 PM
Thank God there isn't a recession, and times aren't tough...

this quote from Amazon discussions:

"When I logged in yesterday, price had dropped from 105.41 to 105.40, so calm down." :D

After all that, I'm thinking I may give Bob a pass this time around; used ones from disappointed buyers will show up quickly...

JayB
08-05-2013, 06:43 AM
What? That's a fucking scandal. I won't be buying it.

For the deluxe 4 disc version... the double CD version is 14 quid.

Though the deluxe version now seems to be £193.57. WTF?

Calexico
08-05-2013, 11:00 AM
The official releases from that time period are hardly essential listening as it is so the offcuts, demos and general ballbaggery can go and do one as far as I am concerned. Especially at those prices.

JayB
08-06-2013, 05:45 AM
The official releases from that time period are hardly essential listening as it is so the offcuts, demos and general ballbaggery can go and do one as far as I am concerned. Especially at those prices.

It'll sound completely different from the actual albums... and the additional 180 odd quid is for the Live At The Isle Of Wight addition to the standard version.

Haggischomper
08-08-2013, 10:39 AM
I do love Dylan's voice from that period

Calexico
08-08-2013, 11:17 AM
It'll sound completely different from the actual albums... and the additional 180 odd quid is for the Live At The Isle Of Wight addition to the standard version.

For 180 notes they would want to fucking include the actual Isle Of Wight in the package.

JayB
08-09-2013, 03:56 AM
For 180 notes they would want to fucking include the actual Isle Of Wight in the package.

Concur! Which is why I'll be buying the double CD for 14 quid or so and downloading the Isle of Wight stuff... fuck em.

JayB
08-27-2013, 06:48 AM
Listening to this this morning... I love it!! Dylan's voice was fantastic in the mid 70s.