PDA

View Full Version : What a rush

NY Fan
06-11-2013, 09:04 AM
Just to share a little personal info, my daughter is now 10 (11 next month) and has been taking piano lessons for about a year and a half.

She plays the typical classical pieces, but she has also been writing her own songs, which are actually catchy and enjoyable. Her teacher is a young guy who is a little unorthodox, and he encourages her in this, along with the idea of playing popular songs too.

Last night, he hosted his annual recital of his students, and my daughter performed three songs. One was a Bach minuet, the second was a song that she wrote (which is really terrific, and she also sang it), and for the third song she did "Let it Be" (Beatles) - and as she had requested, I joined her on electric guitar for that one.

I can't remember many times that I have been more nervous - natural parent's anxiety for her, accompanied by awful jitters for my own performance. We had quite a few friends and family in the audience, and there were about 50 people there overall. I had strict orders from my wife (who was not enthusiastic about this plan): "Don't embarrass us."

In the end, things went great. My daughter performed like a champ, and I overcame my nerves and played well. My wife's comment to me was, "Maybe you just got cool."

Obviously, the best thing was getting the opportunity to share this very special experience with my daughter. Whether or not we ever do it again - and we both hope we will! - I will certainly remember last night for my whole life.

The rush of emotions when we were done was really incredible. I'm sure I'm not the only parent who has had the chance to perform with their child like this (there were actually 2 others last night alone), but it was really amazing. I'm still on cloud 9.

Anyway, just wanted to share this someplace. Take care, all.

- Glenn

axeeugene
06-11-2013, 11:38 AM
Just to share a little personal info

Kudos, Glenn. It's stories like these that make me regret never having learned an instrument. It sounds like a great time. Those experiences that make us most jittery often turn out to be the best and most memorable, don't they. Of course that's because we endure lots of failures in similar emotional states, too, right? :)

Cheers!

Calexico
06-11-2013, 11:52 AM
Anyway, just wanted to share this someplace. Take care, all.

- Glenn

Feel good hit of the summer! Super stuff indeed Mr. M :)

NY Fan
06-11-2013, 01:59 PM
Thanks, guys!

nutshell
06-11-2013, 02:11 PM
Great post, Glenn! I can feel how fun this was for you right through the screen!
I especially love how you say you will remember this for your whole life. Love that. :)
Thanks for sharing. :)

kmweiss
06-11-2013, 02:58 PM
Nice!

mystic_spiral_3
06-11-2013, 10:27 PM
Nice story. Thanks for sharing. :)

ChiefCrowe
06-12-2013, 05:51 PM
that's a great one, thank you for posting!! hope you recorded it for posterity.

Axe,
it's never too late really.. you should get a cheap guitar, or mandolin to mess with!

NY Fan
06-14-2013, 08:57 AM
that's a great one, thank you for posting!! hope you recorded it for posterity.

Yes, taping was allowed at this venue... ;)

jacieb
06-15-2013, 05:01 PM
That's so awesome!!!

greekguy
06-21-2013, 10:31 AM
Meh, She's ten, get over yourself.

(just kidding)

greekguy :>)

NY Fan
06-24-2013, 08:11 AM
Right!
;)

Haggischomper
06-24-2013, 12:45 PM
This was great to read! Congratulations!