PDA

View Full Version : Another door closes...

Calexico
05-22-2013, 02:49 PM
No one have anything to say about the passing to the other side of Ray Manzarek?

Yeah, pretty sad this news. The Doors were a huge part of my musical burgeoning when I was about 15 to 17. I haven't listened to them in ages now but , yeah, this is a fucker.

He always gave me the impression of being the ultimate poster child for the hippy lifestyle while at the same time being more than able to stretch the copper out of a penny.

In later years he seemed to be a bit of a dick in interviews but maybe he felt that even in death that Morrison outshone him.

musicdoc
05-22-2013, 03:04 PM
I've been a big Doors fan since 'discovering' them as a hipster high school music nerd in the late 70s (perhaps the disco had something to do with it). Since then I've been through their catalogue hundreds of times and read a few of the books following the seminal 'No One Here Gets Out Alive'. Ray, by far, is the most outspoken of the lot. He fashions himself an artist and goes out of his way to make sure its known that he is one. Though boorish, he does have some interesting insights in his interviews. Yes, I was sad to see him pass, as the Doors for me, will always be one of the bands that started me on my off the beaten path music exploration.

axeeugene
05-22-2013, 03:05 PM
Never really cared for their music, honestly.

Except for a couple years in my youth when I liked listening to "Riders on the Storm," I always hated The Doors. The whole "I'm a GIANT DICK and proud of it!" Morrison ethos just pissed me off, as did the invariable self-important prickishness of the legions of Morrison acolytes.

Only Holden Caulfield worshippers are worse.

I read about Manzarek's death the other day and was a bit surprised, but not all that saddened.

musicdoc
05-22-2013, 03:09 PM
As a high school coolie working at Domino's pizza, I remember quoting some lyrics from the Door's 'People are Strange' to one of my female co-workers who I was trying to get to know a little better. It worked. RIP Ray.

Calexico
05-22-2013, 03:16 PM
As a high school coolie working at Domino's pizza, I remember quoting some lyrics from the Door's 'People are Strange' to one of my female co-workers who I was trying to get to know a little better. It worked. RIP Ray.

Superb. Lyric quoting to get a lil somethin' somethin'. Excellent moves. :)