PDA

View Full Version : Sorry Sandy, but: Oh Fucking Hell. Ravi Shankar now, too?

axeeugene
12-11-2012, 11:19 PM
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/12/11/167019068/sitar-virtuoso-ravi-shankar-dies-at-92?ft=1&f=1001

Got to see him play live a long time ago, back when I thought he was "old."

Legends should never die.

"If you enjoyed the tuning so much, I hope you'll enjoy the playing more." (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psUS20Zy91o)

Calexico
12-12-2012, 02:30 PM
All these old Woodstock era guys and gals will sooner or later be gone. Shame. No real legends to take their place is there?

Never a big fan but he is a part of the musical history of the last century.

ChiefCrowe
12-18-2012, 09:13 PM
very sad.. i guess he was doing ok lately and then had to have a surgery which he didn't recover from.

Brilliant musician! i was lucky to see him live with his daughter.
I'm going to watch the concert for Bangladesh....

JoMama
12-20-2012, 01:42 PM
All these old Woodstock era guys and gals will sooner or later be gone. Shame. No real legends to take their place is there?

I can think of a few.

when I do, I'll tell ya...

JumboFun
01-06-2013, 04:55 AM
"Brilliant musician! i was lucky to see him live with his daughter"

Which one ChiefCrowe, Anoushka or Norah?

ChiefCrowe
01-07-2013, 12:30 PM
Anoushka. they played Sitar together as a duet. really good.. she is excellent IMO.
as for Norah, doesn't seem like they've played anything together live.

JoMama
01-08-2013, 06:03 PM
Alas, this thread should keep getting bumped, the title alone is hilarious to see bumped to the top of the list. And, unfortunately, the age of the great ones is getting to that point, so the names will keep popping up in coming years. Alas, we mourn their passing while celebrating their gifts, so it's not all bad. We just need to pass on the "importance" part to the next generations who think Christina Agulara is as "important" as Aretha Franklin...:rolleyes:

JumboFun
01-10-2013, 11:40 AM
" We just need to pass on the "importance" part to the next generations who think Christina Agulara is as "important" as Aretha Franklin..."

Well said.

Funny, whenever I think of Ravi, I always think of George.

axeeugene
01-10-2013, 01:22 PM
I always think of George.

When George Harrison died, I came to class the next Monday and said, "So we had some of the saddest news of the decade this weekend."

A few kids mumbled, "Huh?" and one kid said, "Yeah, George Harrison died."

One girl blurted, "Who's that?"

Thankfully I wasn't the only one in the room who said "WHAT?"

Funnily enough, a couple months later I came to class dressed entirely in black and claimed, "I'm in disguise today. Does anyone know who I am?" One girl finally said, "Johnny Cash!" and when I said "Yep," the same girl who didn't know who George was asked, "Who's that?"

So when we see surveys of people who claim not even to know the name of the Vice President, I'm never surprised. Some people are utterly unaware of the world around them, and there's nothing we can do to change that.

I shudder to think of the number of people who would stare blankly at the mention of Ravi Shankar. When we lost both Shankar and Brubeck in the same week, I made sure to take time out of my classes to encourage all my students to visit Youtube to watch The Concert For Bangladesh and at least one version of "Take Five." I wonder how many of them took me up on that.

Haggischomper
01-10-2013, 07:06 PM
Pissing in the wind, Axe, pissing in the wind.

axeeugene
01-10-2013, 07:26 PM
Pissing in the wind, Axe, pissing in the wind.

You've just described my entire life, Haggis.

ChiefCrowe
01-10-2013, 11:46 PM
I love that axe is still trying to spread the word among the ignorance. you rock dude!

JumboFun
01-28-2013, 09:22 AM
I'm enjoying this, and just a few thoughts. I say well done axeeugene, for those lessons you taught your students. It's not just "pop culture", those were/are important people, with valuable gifts, that many lucky folks like us, appreciated. You know that already, I just want to let you know, I think you did a very good thing for your students! Even if only one of them took it it. Perhaps instead of giving them an option, you could just make the viewing mandatory, with the expectation of a paper, or presentation. You keep it up Axe. You've got a captive audience, and I bet you're good at your job too.

The other side of the coin :(

All we love will be lost by that leveler, time.

Calexico
01-28-2013, 11:25 AM
Even if only one of them took it it.

If you even reach one and inspire that one to greater things then that is a job well done. I bet the Axeminster is a great teacher.

axeeugene
01-28-2013, 11:36 AM
I bet the Axeminster is a great teacher.

You can look me up on Professor Performance, or whatever that place is called these days. I'm sure there are all manner of sordid comments about me there. Some, I suspect, are even libelous, but what's a guy to do? Frankly I refuse to look out of fear for my self-esteem. Most days, I can tell you, I feel more like a charlatan than a teacher, and I know I've grown only more curmudgeonly as time has worn on.

Calexico
01-30-2013, 02:56 PM
You can look me up on Professor Performance

Why? To get the opinion of some teenage dullard? Please, life is too short for that. :)