PDA

View Full Version : Hurricanes and Nor'Easters....oh my!

kmweiss
11-08-2012, 06:22 AM
Haven't been around these parts much lately but wanted to check if everyone was ok post Hurricane Sandy and then our little snow storm yesterday. I didn't have power/heat for 8 days but no damage to house and everyone in my family was safe. Some people are now going on 10+ days without power and obviously, there are LOTS of people who literally lost their homes. Not good.

Understatement: We are completely unprepared for any type of serious weather crisis. Sandy was barely a category 1 hurricane, and it essentially closed NY/NJ/CT for 2 days and left us without power and gasoline for 7+ days. If we don't start to figure out our infrastructure issues very soon, then we are going to be screwed. Let's start simple: big tree next to a power line?? Goodbye tree! And can we start to make sure gas stations have generators -- doesn't take much power to pump gas. 80% of gas stations in Bergen County NJ were closed due to no power. That's insane.

Hope you are all well.

Kenny

nutshell
11-08-2012, 11:14 AM
We were also out of power/heat and water for 8 days. Amazing how much you miss running water! Did you have water, Kenny?
And, yes, I feel that I can't complain when so many lost their homes. Awful. I am still grateful every minute that I have heat again!

I agree that we may be screwed if we have more serious weather issues, but I don't agree with this -
Let's start simple: big tree next to a power line?? Goodbye tree!

Kenny

I think we need another solution! I also think we need all the big trees we have.
Why can't we bury all the old lines?
Hope the rest of the NY/NJ crowd is ok.

kmweiss
11-08-2012, 01:13 PM
Agreed on burying the lines but don't think we can get utilities/government to do it any time soon!

I love all the big trees, but it is out of control in my neighborhood. Just have to trim them back a bit, especially the very old and/or sick ones which are prone to fall very easily.

JoMama
11-08-2012, 04:19 PM
Agreed on burying the lines but don't think we can get utilities/government to do it any time soon!

I love all the big trees, but it is out of control in my neighborhood. Just have to trim them back a bit, especially the very old and/or sick ones which are prone to fall very easily.

First off, I hope all y'all are doing ok up there, despite the power outages and such. :)

Look at a tree. See the big ball with lower branches removed? There's likely that much under the surface holding that big thing up and drawing up enough moisture to keep it growing.
In other words: not easy to just dig and bury the lines. Asheville, around here where I live has lots of crazy tree/power line issues just sitting there in front of our noses. The trees have had so many limbs removed I wonder how long until the remains collapse. Some of the roads are so bad they could fix both situations at the same time and save money. Uh-oh, don't let a contractor with ties to government contracts see this post... :eek:

NY Fan
11-09-2012, 11:17 AM
I was a member of the 10-days without power club. We just got it back yesterday afternoon.
I missed work all last week.
There was no school in my town for 8 days.
Thank God, our family is ok, and my house was fine - just dark and very cold by the end.
We know many people (and homes) that were harder hit, but it was not fun for us either.
Glad to hear fellow NJ-ers are ok...

mystic_spiral_3
11-09-2012, 03:53 PM
I am glad all of you are ok.