PDA

View Full Version : New Stuff

on the beach 3
10-17-2012, 11:42 AM
Recently......

Wilco live up in Avilla Beach. Amazing Saturday afternoon concert on the beach/golf course with beautiful fall weather. They were special.

New Band of Horses, Mirage Rock. Glynn Johns at the helm on what is their best record to date. Sounds like what Laurel Canyon would sound like today.

Neil Young and Crazy Horse, Psychedelic Pill. Tune in, turn on, and drop out. The Horse and Shakey return to 1968.

Added, Waging Heavy Peace. Neils' first and only true bio. For hard core Young fans. Jumps from era to era in a dopey haze but somehow manages to keep it all in balance and allows the reader to get an honest glimpse inside the mind of one of rocks most complicated legends.

Peace and Boat Drinks.......

ChiefCrowe
10-18-2012, 02:25 PM
nice...

is band of horses still with that sleepy vibe that i've heard before or is it different?

i'm really enjoying the new dylan and the new Bingham is good, better than I expected anyway since he now has a new band.

on the beach 3
10-19-2012, 12:49 PM
Ravi,

Glynn Johns has a huge influence on this record. Check out the track Dumpster World. Overall its a really balanced set that I think you'd like.

Peace and Boat Drinks.....

musicdoc
11-13-2012, 12:21 PM
Let me preface this by saying that I am a huge Neil Young fan, have nearly all his stuff and a few boots. When I heard about Psychedelic Pill was cautiously optimistic........I've been giving a go over the last 2 weeks and even though I wanted to like it, it's just lacking, too ponderous.....it's not bad it's just that it's not great.....it's wallpaper, nice wallpaper, but wallpaper

JayB
11-14-2012, 03:34 AM
the new Bingham is good, better than I expected anyway since he now has a new band.

I like that new album of his, very different, but good.

I'll be seeing him (and his new band) live tomorrow evening...

kmweiss
11-15-2012, 11:21 AM
State Radio - Rabbit Inn Rebellion. Fantastic rock and roll album! This one is definitely harder rocking than the previous cd, and I love it even more. My favorite band for awhile now.

Chris Robinson Brotherhood - Big Moon Ritual

Dr. John - Locked Down

Grand Funk Railroad - Greatest Hits (old but just got it and it all still holds up!)

Mark Olson - My Own Jo Ellen (old but just got it - love it!)

The Wood Brothers - get everything they put out -- I would think they would be a favorite of all Jayhawks fans. Surprised they are not.

on the beach 3
11-15-2012, 01:16 PM
Let me preface this by saying that I am a huge Neil Young fan, have nearly all his stuff and a few boots. When I heard about Psychedelic Pill was cautiously optimistic........I've been giving a go over the last 2 weeks and even though I wanted to like it, it's just lacking, too ponderous.....it's not bad it's just that it's not great.....it's wallpaper, nice wallpaper, but wallpaper

Interesting take, there are a few of us here, Caffinated Zombie included that are huge Neil fans, that I would also like to hear their take on it as well. I was cautiously optimistic about Pill, but for me once the needle dropped down on this I was in love with it instantly, I have had it in heavy rotation for a few weeks now, just diggin it big time. For me the extended jams work here, they remind me of the Horse circa 1969, even Driftin' Back is full of great hooks and melodies that break up this juggernaut into a series of very enjoyable scenes from a classic Neil movie. Ramada Inn is shear brilliance, very Zuma like. Twisted Road almost sounds like the Horse meets Tom Petty's Mary Janes Last Dance and Walk like a Giant with its infectious whistling and beautiful harmonies are as good as Neil and the Horse get. Add in the playful country shuffle of Born In Ontario and the the Greendale-ish She's Always Dancing and you have a very balanced set. Its a kick back and get your head into a different space record for sure. For me the best work they have done in decades.

Peace and Boat Drinks.....

Calexico
11-17-2012, 10:26 AM
Loving Psychedelic Pill. Just put it on and let the groove wash over you. Don't resist the horse.

Also, funnily enough, I am enjoying the new Benjamin Gibbard album Former Lives. Which is strange because normally I am not a fan of his wishy washy soft rock thing in Death Cab.

Also, any of you searching for "this year's John Grant" then check out John Murry and his stunner of an album called The Graceless Age.

Oh and the Mountain Goats Transcendental Youth is fantastic too.

kmweiss
11-18-2012, 06:52 PM
Went to look for Psychedelic Pill on iTunes -- it is somewhere down the middle of the page for Neil Young as if it is an old cd! Weird. Anyway, really like it on first listen, especially Walk Like a Giant and Twisted Road. Reminds me of Everybody Knows This is Nowhere cd. Driftin' Back is good, but not really crazy about a 27 minute song - I just know that I will skip through it but I think some of the other songs might stick.

Icehaid
11-18-2012, 09:44 PM
P-Pill is good - but if it sounds like most of it has been done before, that's because most of it has. And that's OK for circa 2012 Neil & the Horse.

Jiff
11-22-2012, 05:07 PM
I see that young Alaska singerwriter, Kate Earl, has a new album, Stronger, out yesterday. This one really hits the mark for people that like a breezy pop style with a little folk-rock 70s LA sound thrown in. All songs written by Earl but Brett Dennen had a big hand in the sound. Her first album, in '04, Fate Is A Hunter, was sleepy quiet pop ala Norah Jones or Karla Bonoff with a hint of what she could do sped up a little. Then for her untitled album she went big production soul pop like Joss Stone etc. Nope. Stronger is more like Sheryl Crow with some hooks and guitar solos. I like it.

The whole album is at Spinner for awhile:
http://music.aol.com/new-releases-full-cds/spinner#/6

Video of One Woman Army:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIHon-HS0uI

American Music Awards:
I watched what I guess is a showcase of the most popular new music around. Songs and artists are nominated according to sales and then voted on by the public. That is the music people like? Only one good song, Try by Pink. Pretty amazing presentation too. Was she really singing through that workout? Not quite as amazing as her Glitter In The Air cirque performance at the 2010 Grammys. And not just because her Try opponent missed the window with the chair he threw.

The rest of the show was just musical theater with the emphasis on jerky dancing, bright lights and goofy outfits, like Beiber's low-butt pants. I had closed-caption on, and no wonder they sing so you can't discern the words, utter crap. Actual musicians were way in the back, pretty much out of sight. We did see some guitar playing with Beiber's drab song. Can't he play his own guitar? The other songs were equally as forgettable as show tunes. Usually Taylor Swift has a catchy song for awards shows. Not this time. One rock song, I guess. Linkin Park's. Bad bad song. I guess Foo Fighters weren't available. I think they're on hiatus. But what about Daughtry or Nickelback, equally as bland as Linkin Park. No country songs. No wonder the AMA's ratings continue to slip.

Haggischomper
11-26-2012, 08:00 AM
Fuck all that shit. Led Zeppelin. :)

CaffeineZombie
01-03-2013, 09:49 PM
P-Pill is good - but if it sounds like most of it has been done before, that's because most of it has. And that's OK for circa 2012 Neil & the Horse.

"They all sound the same! IT'S ALL ONE SONG!" ;)

Haggischomper
01-04-2013, 11:58 AM

The more I listen, the better it gets. This record makes me happy.

on the beach 3
01-04-2013, 01:26 PM
The more I listen, the better it gets. This record makes me happy.

:)

Peace and Boat Drinks..............

JayB
01-07-2013, 06:51 AM
I'm psyched about seeing NEil + Crazy Horse live this year!!! Woohoo!!

on the beach 3
01-07-2013, 10:12 PM
I'm psyched about seeing NEil + Crazy Horse live this year!!! Woohoo!!

As you should. I saw them at the Hollywood Bowl supporting Psychedelic Pill and it was simply amazing.

Peace and Boat Drinks.......

wheelhousetunes
01-14-2013, 03:19 PM
The past 3 months or so I've been going crazy for The Sheepdogs. Anyone else dig these guys? Their debut came out about 5 or 6 months ago, but they had 3 self-releases before that. They're all good.