PDA

View Full Version : ZZ Top and Gillian Welch

BoogieMan
09-05-2012, 02:44 PM
There's a song on the new ZZ Top album that is apparently written by Gillian Welch and David Rawlings. Very odd to see that, but the song is really cool (as is a couple of more songs)!

JayB
09-06-2012, 09:46 AM
Most bizarre! Having said that, I'd like to hear it. What's the name of the track?

Haggischomper
09-06-2012, 11:58 AM
It’s Too Easy Mañana

BoogieMan
09-06-2012, 01:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ67I47l074

JayB
09-07-2012, 05:58 AM
Great cover...

The original is on the Dave Rawling's Machine album.

BoogieMan
09-07-2012, 06:21 PM
Great cover...

The original is on the Dave Rawling's Machine album.

Wow, thanks. Didn't know. Quite different songs when you play them back to back

Haggischomper
09-07-2012, 11:39 PM
Filthy, filthy, FILTHY guitar sound on this ZZ Top album

BoogieMan
09-08-2012, 07:36 AM
yes. it is quite good! Over You is one of their best slow songs

JayB
09-10-2012, 06:48 AM
Is that the one that sounds like a Stax song? I dig that one.

I listened to the album in the car this morning... overall I like it. There's one song that sounds like AC/DC with different vocals, which is cool.

Quite a few songs sound a bit too similar for my taste though - a lot of them have a very similar guitar riff. Love the GW/DR cover, love the slow one and love the AC/DC-with-different-front-man one...

BoogieMan
09-10-2012, 05:29 PM
It is the Stax one I was thinking about.

Yeah, I agree about AC/DC. Rubin is an AC/DC fan, and I guess it is easy to think he's been pushing for that sound, but then again, who is not an AC/DC fan? ZZ Top has got Rolling Stones songs so they can have an AC/DC song as well I guess.

They do sound the same, but this one has been a good collection of the same songs. Sounds crisp and it is easy to groove along.

2 years ago there was talk about a Black Keys collaboration. That would have been fun, but would have sounded the same.

JayB
09-11-2012, 05:09 AM
Aye, it's definitely good... but with a bunch of the songs I feel like I just listened to it... especially the first 3!

But overall, nice album, with some great stand out tracks.

BoogieMan
09-11-2012, 05:31 PM
The first one is some kind of hip-hop cover

JayB
09-12-2012, 07:13 AM
Ah yeah!

The first ZZ Top album for nine years opens with the most remarkable rock'n'roll song of the year. Gotsta Get Paid is an adaptation not of some old blues or boogie, but of the Houston hip-hop classic 25 Lighters by DJ DMD with Lil' Keke and Fat Pat. It doesn't sound like hip-hop, naturally – it's reconfigured as a dirty, lazy, heavy groove, Billy Gibbons's growling guitar and voice front and centre. It's simply brilliant.

Listened to it again this morning, and it's growing on me... the more I listen to the songs, the more they start to distinguish themselves from each other.

I haven't listened to any of ZZ Top's album since the mid 90s (Antenna is probably the last one I heard??), so I have nothing to compare it to, I like it a lot.