PDA

View Full Version : Because it's dead here: A reminder of what's good

axeeugene
08-22-2012, 12:26 AM
This place is clearly in its latter days, and I lament that, as I've said.

I spend less time with music than I once did, but I find I return to The Last Waltz more often than just about anything else these days. So since the scotch has a firm hold of me tonight, and since Levon, Rick, and Richard have left us too soon, I leave you with one of the finest moments in pop music:

The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jREUrbGGrgM)

Calexico
08-22-2012, 01:10 PM
It's very unfortunate that this place seems to be winding down because I harbour some fond memories of it and I would like it to hang around. I could probably see the point if the band decided to knock it on the head but I would be mighty sad.

Excellent call on The Band, Professor. You cannot go wrong with that. Hope this missive finds you and all y'all well.

Haggischomper
08-22-2012, 01:46 PM
Fucking hell, just spent a while trying to locate the fucking LIKE button. How sad and pathetic.

I'm still here, I just have less and less to say, is all.

CaffeineZombie
08-22-2012, 02:22 PM
You should've gone with me to the Dylan show last night, Axeman!

:p

axeeugene
08-22-2012, 02:38 PM
I stand by my choice, Caffeine Zombie.

on the beach 3
08-22-2012, 02:55 PM
I headed for the exit when it just became so sophomoric and intolerable due to one Brown Jenkins, Pillow Pants or whatever he was deciding to call himself. The total well being of the board suffered as did the over all content. I just didn't need it anymore. Yes it looks like the days are numbered. I have met some truly amazing people from this board, a few who I call friend and have shared quality time with here at the beach shack and in the Midwest. Change is good, life moves on. The memories and music will live on.

Peace and Boat Drinks......

mystic_spiral_3
08-22-2012, 07:25 PM
I'm still here. I just choose to ignore the trolls and try not to feed them. This board means a lot to me and I kind of wish people would just also ignore the irritants and come back. :( Oh well. Yay Jayhawks! :)

Calexico
08-23-2012, 12:38 PM
I'm still here. I just choose to ignore the trolls and try not to feed them. This board means a lot to me and I kind of wish people would just also ignore the irritants and come back. :( Oh well. Yay Jayhawks! :)

Well said that gal! :D

Ben, what is Dylan hanging onto for support these days? I've read that his latest crutch is a grand piano. Did he play anything from his new album?

Speaking of which, has anyaone seen the cover for this album? I mean....80s much? It's awful. Jan Hammer would have baulked at that much neon and redness.

Haggischomper
08-23-2012, 03:57 PM
I like it. It makes me laugh

JoMama
08-23-2012, 08:38 PM
October
And the trees are stripped bare
Of all they wear
What do I care

October
And Kingdoms rise
And Kingdoms fall
But you go on...

...and on...

ChiefCrowe
08-24-2012, 04:13 PM
That was an amazing moment, the last waltz. never get tired of it.

and yes it is sad that this board is slow now, but i think a lot of people are spending more time on the facebooks.

axeeugene
08-24-2012, 04:35 PM
I never get tired of it.

Seems like a good place to drop another bit I never get tired of.

The other thread might be a better spot for it, but I'm stubborn, so here it goes anyway. I really wish I'd been paying attention to real music in the 70s instead of being subjected to Chrystal Gayle and Neil Sedaka:

Ladies and gentlemen, The Goddamned FACES. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLhoLkTyNkM)

axeeugene
08-24-2012, 04:43 PM
Oh, and also, Every other rock band sucks donkey balls in the FACE of this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4PXMCCTMwM&feature=related)

Calexico
08-26-2012, 07:33 AM
They were some band...shame that the more rubbish Rod releases to pay for his divorces and lifestyle, the less people remember the really great stuff like this.

axeeugene
08-26-2012, 09:15 AM
rubbish Rod

I just can't understand it. I suppose it has to do with age, too. There's less fire in the belly once you get to 40, I guess, and that would make it harder to sing "SIT DOWN! GET UP! GET OUT!" over time. Still, you'd think he'd want to revisit those songs more often. It seems what remains of the rest of the band wants to...

"GUITAR!" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywxmGV280Go)

I dunno. Maybe Rod actually *likes* all that Adult Contemporary crap. <SHUDDER>

jcarlile
08-26-2012, 09:31 AM

I agree Sarah! I always come here to check out what's going on, I don't contribute much anymore, probably never have, but I love this place--have met some of my best friends here and will always love the Jayhawks and all their various member's projects. :) :)

CaffeineZombie
08-27-2012, 12:40 PM
October
And the trees are stripped bare
Of all they wear
What do I care

October
And Kingdoms rise
And Kingdoms fall
But you go on...

...and on...

Are you listening to that 1981 U2 show that I gave you, old friend?!!

CaffeineZombie
08-27-2012, 12:46 PM
Ben, what is Dylan hanging onto for support these days? I've read that his latest crutch is a grand piano. Did he play anything from his new album?

Yes, he's playing grand piano on most of the songs. Sometimes it's
great, sometimes it's a borderline trainwreck.

Unfortunately, it's so high in the mix, he drowned out his guitar players.
Looked like Stu was playing high on the neck in a few spots but you
couldn't hear him. And Charlie must be on a really short leash these days, because I kept waiting for Bob to give him the nod for a solo, but it never happened. :(

Bob only played 1 song on guitar.

He won't play anything from the new album 'til the fall tour.

JoMama
08-27-2012, 07:42 PM
Are you listening to that 1981 U2 show that I gave you, old friend?!!

Most certainly! I even shared it with my daughter & hubby, latter-day U2 fans who had used "All I Want Is You" at their wedding reception last year... Your gift just keeps on giving! :) :) :)

I wish you could have digitalized some John Hardy's BBQ so I can dig that out any time I wish, now I'm a thousand miles from it...