PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Stills Box Set

musicdoc
08-10-2012, 10:09 AM
In recent interview on station Q104.3, Graham Nash mentioned that the Stephen Stills Box Set he's been working on the last couple years will drop in October. That has the potential to be the release of the year.

JayB
08-11-2012, 01:23 PM
Sounds cool. What sort of stuff will be on it? All unreleased stuff?

musicdoc
08-13-2012, 09:19 AM
Here's a little bit of contents taken from a recent Stephen Stills interview, sounds like the 'legendary' Stills-Hendrix jam sessions never really amounted to much at all, I don't even know if they made the cut. Sounds like there will a ton of unreleased stuff, so should make for a great box. 4 CDs will be a bit much, but there's likely going to be a ton of treasure in there.

Excerpt from interview:
And there's a box set of my stuff coming. Here, wait… [He goes into another room, comes back and hands us four reference CDs.] My career

[scanning the titles] Wow, this is incredible. There's so much material here – lots of unreleased stuff.

"That's right. It was supposed to be three discs, but I don't want to have to do it again, so I said just do four. That, along with Manassas: Pieces and Just Roll Tape, that pretty much covers it. There isn't much more left off that I care about. [takes the first CD, looks at it] There's a track on there, it was when I was about 16 or so. I was living in Costa Rica, so this is from the Voice Of America.

"I went to this guy's apartment, which was covered from wall to wall with tape recorders and listening stuff – way more than you need for a radio station.

"So he recorded me doing this thing. The song itself is absolute pabulum, but the guitar picking, it's fully formed, just like I do it now – the best way to spend an hour." [laughs]

musicdoc
08-13-2012, 09:22 AM
Oh, also, by the by, CSN&Y say they are going to finally release the 1974 concert tour box in first quarter of 2013. 3 CDs and 1 DVD of that fabled 74 tour, sounds like a lot of rancor in the group at that time, but likely some incendiary stuff. Post holidays seems like an odd release for something like that, I'm guessing it gets moved back to late spring, early summer.

musicdoc
11-13-2012, 11:24 AM
Well October has come and gone and the box set has not dropped. After extensive searching I can find no new information. I"m not sure what happened here, it's apparently pressed, I'm not sure what's causing the delay in the release....hopefully it'll be out before Christmas.

DavidKraai
11-14-2012, 07:06 AM
Thanks for the update! Really appreciate it... very much looking forward to this release!

musicdoc
02-13-2013, 08:43 AM
March 26th is the official release date:

The bulk of Stephen Stills‘ career as a singer, songwriter and instrumentalist will be released in a four-disc box set called ‘Carry On’ on March 26. The package includes hits from Stills’ career as a solo artist, with Buffalo Springfield, Crosby Stills & Nash and more. In total, 82 songs are featured, including 25 that have never been released.
Today’s press release from Rhino Records reveals that ‘Carry On’ will unfold in choronological order, beginning with an unreleased song called ‘Travelin” that he cut in Costa Rica at the age of 17. The most recent recording is from CSN’s 2012 world tour, when the group played ‘Girl From North Country’ at the Beacon Theater in New York City.

There are several Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young songs including ‘Black Coral, which Stills and Young released as a duo in 1976. Other highlights including ‘No-Name Jam,’ a song Stills recorded with Jimi Hendrix in London in 1970. There are also new live tracks, including the CSN song ‘No Tears Left’ from a 1997 performance at the Fillmore in San Fransisco. Herbie Hancock, Eric Clapton and Maynard Ferguson all make guest appearances on songs.

Graham Nash and Joel Bernstein worked with Stills to produce the project, which will be available digitally and on CD for about $55.

Jiff
06-05-2013, 12:37 AM
Never been too enthralled by box sets, mainly because I have and/or have heard the good songs enough and the unreleased songs weren't released because they're not good.

I might go for his new blues rock album wth Kenny Wayne Shepherd and Barry Goldberg, calling themselves The Rides. I really like the two songs I've heard, including Word Game, a rocking remake of an acoustic song from Stills 2 from 1971.

Word Game by The Rides:
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/stephen-stills-new-band-the-rides-play-a-word-game-song-premiere-20130517

axeeugene
06-05-2013, 09:41 AM
Never been too enthralled by box sets, mainly because I have and/or have heard the good songs enough and the unreleased songs weren't released because they're not good.

Do you have the Faces boxed set, Jiff? It does not suffer the problems you note. I just bought it a few months back, and it rules.