PDA

View Full Version : packaging

zebulon
05-13-2012, 01:23 AM
Second time I bring this up, sorry, but have to. I still buy records -mostly cds and some vinyl-, donīt download but some packaging will kill whatever is left of the record industry. Or at least will kill me.

And sadly this includes some of the latest Jayhawks records, such as the Anthology or the Mockingbird Time album. Lots of other albums fit in this category too: Springsteen, Josh Ritter, Jim Moray, REM, Steve Earle,...

It's so easy and annoying and frustrating to tear the package trying to get the disc!!!!

Just the opposite is when you get something as nice as the TTGG reissue or most of the Madness albums reissues.

I was born and raised in times when the artwork counted, we used to hold the album for hours, admire it. I still prefer the physical thing. Maybe those times are forever gone, and itīs me the one who has to adjust to the new times.

Calexico
05-13-2012, 12:06 PM
Some packaging is truly awful. Cardboard sleeves with stickers on them that rip the shit off the cover when you try to remove them. Jewwl boxes which are just crap all around. I have fallen back in love, big time, with vinyl.

I bought the Israel Nash Gripka album last week after his gig and this drunk woman outside the bar asked me what it was and how was I gonna play that...needless to say I wanted to bust her one on the chops.:rolleyes:

JoMama
05-14-2012, 03:19 PM
It's so easy and annoying and frustrating to tear the package trying to get the disc!!!!

Just the opposite is when you get something as nice as the TTGG reissue or most of the Madness albums reissues.

I was born and raised in times when the artwork counted, we used to hold the album for hours, admire it. I still prefer the physical thing. Maybe those times are forever gone, and itīs me the one who has to adjust to the new times.

So sad, this stuff, and now they're getting even cheaper with the "eco-packaging" where they have a CD holder tray made out of some sort of material that doesn't hold the disc very long. Next thing you know the disc will be made of rice noodles so you can make soup out of it after 5 spins... :eek:

Calexico
05-15-2012, 11:26 AM
CD holder tray made out of some sort of material that doesn't hold the disc very long.

THIS!

It boils my blood when you open a cd case and those little teeth that hold the cd in place are busted and slipping around inside the case. Seriously, I brought back four copies of R.E.M.'s Monster one day because the same defect was in each cd case.

JoMama
05-15-2012, 09:47 PM
THIS!

It boils my blood when you open a cd case and those little teeth that hold the cd in place are busted and slipping around inside the case. Seriously, I brought back four copies of R.E.M.'s Monster one day because the same defect was in each cd case.

Monster suffered from "Ryko teeth". the trays were a special orange tray to go with the packaging, but they were an inferior plastic to "regular" CD trays; such has often been the case with the special "green tinted" ones from Ryko.....

JumboFun
06-05-2012, 11:47 PM
"Next thing you know the disc will be made of rice noodles so you can make soup out of it after 5 spins..." Lol.

Agreed, packaging can really suck, and cut too. Sharp edges on impenetrable plastic. Poked myself good yesterday trying to open swimming goggles encased in plastic.

And just try reading liner notes on jewel case inserts...forget it. Love me some vinyl albums.

Brown Jenkin
06-06-2012, 02:46 AM
So sad, this stuff, and now they're getting even cheaper with the "eco-packaging" where they have a CD holder tray made out of some sort of material that doesn't hold the disc very long. Next thing you know the disc will be made of rice noodles so you can make soup out of it after 5 spins... :eek:

I much prefer the eco-friendly material. I'm still getting artwork, lossless audio, and it's better for the environment. That's pretty neat.

I had five new CD's show up on my door step today. All in the thin cardboard eco-packaging. I was pleased. Just use a knife to cut the shrink-wrap along the spine and then peel. Not that hard.

NY Fan
06-06-2012, 08:59 AM
I can sympathize with these problems, but only in theory because I have not bought any physical form of recorded music in at least a year (or two?), and I think I have only purchased one (that I can recall) album of digital music in that time.

For whatever reasons, I have been on an extreme hiatus from almost all recorded music - and certainly everything recorded after about 1975.

The most I will listen to any recorded music is the occasional Friday or Saturday night with friends over, having a glass of wine or a beer. I'll put on a favorite mix made up of mostly sentimental AM radio hits from the early '70s, and that's about it.

I am incredibly out of touch with almost all new releases of the kind that most people here favor. I do listen to 'pop' radio quite a bit, since my daughter is nearly 10, and I find myself NOT hating all of it.

I can recall a few times that I drifted away from 'the music, man,' for periods of time, but this is one of the longest. Haven't even picked up a guitar in months.

Weird phase. I hope it ends at some point...

- Glenn

Brown Jenkin
06-06-2012, 07:08 PM
Turn off the TV would be my best suggestion. And the radio. Both of these produce "noise" (usually in the form of commercial breaks) that interrupt the musical portion of the mind.

NY Fan
06-07-2012, 01:38 PM
At first I thought "Turn off the TV" was another new band I hadn't heard about.

I don't watch much TV. I do flip around the radio a lot, as I am in the car 2-3 hours a day to commute.

Haggischomper
06-07-2012, 02:40 PM
The new Neil Young cd booklet is unreadable and half cd-sized. Have a microscope handy, and plenty of good lighting.

NY Fan
06-07-2012, 04:31 PM
Bought the new one from "Turn off the TV" on my lunch hour.

Bunch of dudes with beards out of Brooklyn, playing jagged guitar riffs with a little bit of chorus, just like the '80s, but they sprinkle their lyrics with references to Bowie and - get this - Television (the band!).

It is awesome. Gonna be big.

Haggischomper
06-07-2012, 05:38 PM
Fuck sake, just spent a minute trying to figure out where the 'like' button is.

wheelhousetunes
06-08-2012, 08:56 AM
The new Neil Young cd booklet is unreadable and half cd-sized. Have a microscope handy, and plenty of good lighting.

Glad I heard the new Neil before I bought it, 'cause I think it's just no good at all. His version of "Gallows Pole" almost had me laughing. Sucks, because I was really hoping this album would be good.

The new Joe Walsh, however, sounds great to me. Still need to hear the new Alejandro Escovedo and Rhett Miller.

Calexico
06-08-2012, 09:44 AM
Bought the new one from "Turn off the TV" on my lunch hour.

Bunch of dudes with beards out of Brooklyn, playing jagged guitar riffs with a little bit of chorus, just like the '80s, but they sprinkle their lyrics with references to Bowie and - get this - Television (the band!).

It is awesome. Gonna be big.

Fucking Williamsburg hippies. I liked them when they were unknowns.

Calexico
06-08-2012, 09:45 AM
Glad I heard the new Neil before I bought it, 'cause I think it's just no good at all. His version of "Gallows Pole" almost had me laughing. Sucks, because I was really hoping this album would be good.

I've heard the new NY album and that's possibly as good as it is gonna get for me. I've played it a couple of times and that's more than it deserves.

Haggischomper
06-08-2012, 09:47 AM
I really quite enjoyed his take on the folk classics. Heard Gallows Pole interpreted in so many ways in the past, nice to have another version for the "collection". I like when people add their own twist.

Not a MAJOR Neil Young album, for sure, but still enjoyable enough. Looking forward to the next one later this year

Calexico
06-08-2012, 09:51 AM
Fair enough, let him/them at it but I won't play it much again this year.

JoMama
06-09-2012, 08:29 AM
I've heard the new NY album and that's possibly as good as it is gonna get for me. I've played it a couple of times and that's more than it deserves.

I enjoy the insertion of "Venus Was Her Name" melody into "Sussanah".
I couldn't get the 'B-A-N-J-O on his knee' out of my head yesterday. :cool:

CaffeineZombie
06-09-2012, 05:38 PM
It's nothing mind-blowing, but I enjoy most of the new Neil.
I'll be listening to this one a lot more than "Are You Passionate",
"Living With War", or "Fork In The Road".

Definitely looking forward to hearing that 20+ minute song w/
Crazy Horse on the next album...assuming it comes out this year.
Or ever.

Calexico
06-10-2012, 08:11 AM
I'll be listening to this one a lot more than "Are You Passionate",
"Living With War", or "Fork In The Road".

Really, that isn't much of a line up is it?

Definitely looking forward to hearing that 20+ minute song w/
Crazy Horse on the next album...assuming it comes out this year.
Or ever.

That thing that was streaming last month on the website? Surely that was just a jam and nothing concrete, no?

CaffeineZombie
06-10-2012, 07:00 PM
Jim, listen to the interview here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01jhp10/Front_Row_Neil_Young_interviewed/

around 13 minutes in, Neil mentions that there's a double album worth of
material that they recorded after "Americana", and one of the songs
is 26 minutes long (!)

JoMama
06-10-2012, 09:43 PM
Neil threw us another curve ball? No way... Certainly a first for him...:rolleyes:

Calexico
06-11-2012, 01:21 PM
Jesus, I was wondering what you were talking about. I never saw the "13 minutes in". All I heard was the theme tune to The fucking Archers!!! :) :)