PDA

View Full Version : First Ave 9-20-03

muskytoes
09-22-2003, 09:52 AM
Well the boys we're back in town for a one-off benefit show for the club's DAMFoundation (Developing Music and Arts). Big Boss Man Steve McClellan himself intoduced the band and promoted the foundation as a important way to keep the club moving in the right direction. And while shows like this won't be included in the 100 free shows a year. You will get to see alot a music if you sign up, and a $15 discount (the price of tonite's ticket) if you join.
We actually got there early enough to recieve "comps" for four different upcoming DAMF shows. This should be reason enough to get to the club for opening acts, and a good way to support the club as well.
Kraig and the Program we're right on!!! Song for Everyone should be a top 10 hit!! I dig it, it's got a beat and I can dance to it!! Two big thumbs up for Dizzy Ed Akerson who made sonic waves all through the set on his own Flying V. Sadly when they started to play "So Silently" my wife said, "Lets go look for people." So A quick trip to rock star alley and we could see Tim & Wife Tina checking in backstage, and Danny Guitar "Murphy" with his Son in tow. The usual suspects we're right up front and I believe Mr.Zombie got props for the "Neil" shirt. Perlman joined the Program for the last several songs. Kraig was sporting a jean jacket and a haircut since I'd seen him last.
"Walking Around" was better than "Freight Train" "Burned" was the Neil cover.
Jayhawks took the stage at about 8:40 played till 10:10 encores went till almost 11:00. We missed the last 2 songs. Spent the bulk of the set downstairs packed on the dancefloor until the wife couldn't take anymore people pushing past her with drinks. So we retreated to the upstairs bar where drinks we're 1/2 price.
Show was good, crowd was into it. Take Me had some interesting things happening with Steven on Pedal and Kraig on second guitar. Trouble was perfect. Tampa works better in the middle of the main set, as opposed to slowing things down too much during the encore set. Expecting to Fly was alot of fun, people might have smelled "doobie" during that song, but rest assured it was just my stinky feet. Sixteen Down with the Flying V was another highlight, as was Will I See You in Heaven.
Got home in time to see Wilco and Sonic Youth on PBS....

Ordinarygirl
09-22-2003, 12:54 PM
This show is right up there with one of the best Jayhawks performances I've ever seen. I've been coming to this club since I was in high school, and I love that dirty old barn of a building, so the fact that it was a benefit for DAMF only added to the positive atmosphere in the room.

Some highlights for me:
Gary's comments about the club...that the band would be nothing without First Avenue (probably not true, but it's nice to see hear them speak their support for the club's philosophy in this day and age of corporate controlled music).
Hearing Sixteen Down live for the first time EVER (and this was my 16th Jayhawks show) and it was mesmerizing. And the same for Will I See You in Heaven.
Kraig saying "let's play that one tune, what's it called? F*ck Clear Channel!" Not to mention his dancing (!)
Marc playing the bass with a drumstick.
The many appearances of Jim Boquist, Kraig and Jessy thru out the Jayhawks set (the stage was getting crowded!) although it was too bad Danny Murphy never materialized when Gary called him up.
They only played one Smog tune, Until You Came Along, but that's my favorite.
Of the older stuff, I'll never tire of hearing Clouds and Two Hearts. Tim does a fabulous job, he and Gary together are magical.
And I loved seeing Gary do the whole rock star thing during Sister Cry... nothing like kicking back and having fun at home.

What can I say, the whole night was ecstasy. Basically I stood in a crowd with about 2 inches of personal space for 4 hours yet was happy to do it and wanted more. I got my "fix," I hope it will last me until December!

Lenno
09-22-2003, 01:03 PM
thanks for these impressions. I smell that musky sh*t right over here!

greekguy
09-22-2003, 03:11 PM
Is it possible that they oversold the venue? I usually am up near the front of the stage and I have never had so much trouble getting in and out as I did the one time nature called. I couldn't even get to the steps without lowering my shoulder.

As well, is it just me, or am I not the only one who always seems to get the drunk female standing in front of me who seems to think the dance floor is wide open and it is perfectly fine for her to move her feet, step on my feet and flip her stinky hair in my face? Things got bad when she literally punched greekgal in the stomach (as a part of her "dancing"). If her boyfriend/husband would not have intervened on our behalf, I think greekguy might have caused some trouble!

Thor_of_Mpls
09-22-2003, 03:52 PM
INSANE JAYHAWKS POSSE?

LakesMan
09-23-2003, 12:53 PM
I have to concur with the previous posts . . . it was one heckuva show. The boys seemed super relaxed (why not, they were playing for free afterall), and the dizzying array of guests only added to the fun. And was it me, or was Gary getting a little tipsy toward the end. I noticed he was putting down some Red Stripe during most of the show, and at the end he slid backward twice as he tried to stand up on the monitor. And after jumping out into the crowd, it took two people to get him back up on stage!

Great show, fun time. Can't wait for the holiday shows.

CaffeineZombie
09-24-2003, 09:41 AM
but would've been better if they had time to do "Different Drum",
"Balitmore Sun", etc. The Zombie wants to see McCarthy do
some banjo picking...it was sitting back behind his pedal steel the
other night

The Program played their "rock" set, with Ed Ackerson bringing out his Flying V. David Poe got to sing his song "Softcore" which is quickly becoming one of my favorite songs I've heard this year.

yes, Musky, that was me up front in the Neil Young shirt,
caught w/ a smile on my face, when Kraig looked down at me,
said "My friend's up front, he's always up front, he's got his
Neil shirt, this is for you" and they went into "Burned".

:cool:

I had serious flashbacks of '97 when Kraig and Jessy were up
there for "Sixteen Down". Nice to see the Flying V again.

"Waiting For the Sun" came back loud and electric. I liked the
fact that Gary played a guitar solo at the beginning of the song

the end jam on "Sister Cry" was incredible. One of the best
versions I've ever seen. And check out Sandy's pics, she got
one of Pearly playing the bass w/ a drumstick

why do people always have to talk during the slow, quieter songs?!!
:confused:

LiladyK
09-24-2003, 10:45 AM
Ok, finally getting around to giving my perspective of Sat.....

The day didn't start off well. Had planned to leave here by noon, but finishing up work, etc. left us dragging our tails onto the highway for the first time around 2:00p.m. Stopped twice for gas, once for food, and picked up our motel on the edge of town. We really wanted time to relax at Old Chicago w/a brewski or two, maybe an appetizer pre-show, but now we missed that opportunity. We arrive to the club just before 7:00 p.m. Fortunately we get to see all of KJJ&P set. It was cool, I really liked that. The club was starting to pack, but we picked a spot on the lowest stair of the stairway just to the right of the stage (by the back door). So this is what it feels like to be normal adult height at a show. Not bad! But the sound system sucked from that spot. The Mr. was busy answering questions to some people about the Jayhawks....long story as to why that happened, I won't go into it. So I took off to get a brew, pick up the Women's Club discs that I promised some folk I'd get for /em. Went to the bathroom....I even used that stall that allows you to moon the people outside of the club! The ladies know what I'm talking about (he he).

Then it was time for the Jayhawks to go on. Made my way up to the middle front for better sound, but the Mr. decided to stay back. He originally liked that spot during KJJ&P set. Anyway, I stood between Cootner, National Joe, Blue Amy. CZ, Icehaid, "the two Js" and our beautiful webmaster were all to my front.

Honestly, I would have liked it better if I was maybe 20 feet back from the stage in the middle (for better sound) but w/my size it's impossible in that venue. I can't breathe down there, let alone be able to see anything. Plus you get pushed and shoved constantly. And the balcony is always chatty and smokey. So I stand in my usual second row in front of the stage spot. I thought "no one will bother me here!"

WRONG!!!!

As we're all standing there, sweat dripping from every pore in our bodies, this really tall over 6 foot guy starts making his way towards me....first he starts bugging the hell out of Cootner who is next to me. The guy is totally toasted and makes a scene. Then he jokingly stands in front of me knowing he's ruining the view, apologizes, and then moves right next to me and literally hangs his body all over me for the next 20 minutes or so. He bends down and starts whispering obscene things in my hear. I push him away. Then he gets down on his knees and attempts to place his face in my crotch! I'm trying to get away from this guy but there's no where to move! He looks up at me and blabs on about how he desires me and what he wants to do to me while he's down there. All I can do is grab his head and throw him to the ground. He gets up and goes for my crotch again and again, I push him down again and again. By now, National Joe has his arm around me trying to pull me away from this guy.

So the guy finally disappears. I try to enjoy the rest of the show. Gary is definitely a lil toasted himself on that Red Stripe stuff, and gets kinda wild, stripping his shirt open, flying into the crowd...the same old thing he's done before. Highlights of the show were seeing Stumbling Thru the Dark played out live!! Hearing it live is so much better than hearing it on RDM, it's not even funny. And my jaw dropped wide open w/that WFTS guitar opening......goooood gaaaawwwd....Gary, keep that up. I'm still waiting for him to play "Clouds" w/that Parsons pull off again the way he did so many years ago.....wow! I've never seen or heard him play WFTS like this since the Olson days, and yes, it was Hendrix like.

I agree w/Musky.....and, I would have liked to have heard more of that bonus disc stuff....and no "You Look So Young", so that disappointed me some . I love "Expecting To Fly" but they've been playing that. Time for some different stuff. Instead, it's been basically the same setlist. But it was like they didn't really care that much. They were tired and it was a volunteer show for 'em. In those regards, I could've done w/staying home prob. and seeing them away from Mpls. at a different time. Being at this show made me realize how lucky I am that I'm not limited to seeing them in Mpls. I've totally changed my opinion of being jealous of how lucky the locals are. I think I'd rather see fewer more serious quality shows, then go to numerous local shows where the playing attitude and the atmosphere isn't as serious. And as much as I highly value First Ave. for being a historic monument of sorts there in town, honestly, for me, it's not one of the better venues to fully enjoy a show at. I will admit that I'm spoiled by getting to go to a lot of varioius artists shows at various venues for various prices, tho. I have a lot to compare to I guess.

Anyway, after the screen came down, I was talking w/Cootner and his friend, and then suddenly the Mr. appeared out of seemingly nowhere, itching as all hell to leave that place as quickly as we could. He said he got into some bad pushing/ shoving confrontations. He was super pissed off about it. And, when he wants to leave, I know from past experience that any hesitation on my part will only leave me w/ hell to pay later. So we left pretty quickly and didn't get to say goodbye to anyone except Cootner.....

two tix for a jayhawks show, $30

gasoline in the tank for the weekend, $24

a motel room at the edge of town $40

the sight of our webmaster grabbing Gary's tush to lift and assist him back up onto the stage...... PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!

LiladyK
09-24-2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by greekguy
Is it possible that they oversold the venue? I usually am up near the front of the stage and I have never had so much trouble getting in and out as I did the one time nature called. I couldn't even get to the steps without lowering my shoulder.

As well, is it just me, or am I not the only one who always seems to get the drunk female standing in front of me who seems to think the dance floor is wide open and it is perfectly fine for her to move her feet, step on my feet and flip her stinky hair in my face? Things got bad when she literally punched greekgal in the stomach (as a part of her "dancing"). If her boyfriend/husband would not have intervened on our behalf, I think greekguy might have caused some trouble!

I hear ya greekguy....things were getting nasty everywhere audience wise. Besides the guy trying to chomp on my crotch, I couldn't get away from the woman dancing behind me that ended up at some point later next to me constantly bouncing off my breast with her arm, and it made me feel like puking. Whenever it's tight, it's uncomfortable, but when there's any free space, people take advantage of it and it causes personal body space violations :mad:

muskytoes
09-24-2003, 12:29 PM
Well I've been waiting for lilady to post something...too bad the show had to be a bummer for her, or at least some bummer elements.
All to often this type of thing happens to the good folks who come to the club for shows. We used to call FIRST AVENUE = FORCED ATTITUDE, just cause this type of thing was unfortunately the 'norm'. People getting pushed, tall people in the very front blocking sound and view for everyone, smokers burning little holes in the back of your favorite rock T's, oh yeah and a little grab-ass on the side.
This is probably why I don't even try to stay on the mainfloor for the whole show. It's great I admit it, to be so close, have it so loud. But I won't put up with other people's shit anymore. We don't go to the club that often so when we do we want to enjoy the show, a full house makes it pretty hard to do that. So we tend to spend time talking to our friends upstairs behind the glass. Granted the sound sucks but the view is great. Besides after seeing them play there for the last 14 years I really don't need to be up front.
Go ahead take away my fanclub status, but you won't see me up front.
Overall the sound wasn't as good as it has been in the past.
I didn't expect to be blown away by the show, but I like to be surprised.
Much better than the Medina show last Sept
Looking forward to December's Holiday Shows
Sorry I didn't get to meet you lilady

NDHawkFan
09-24-2003, 12:57 PM
Wow....i have to respectively disagree with some of the earlier posts. I thought the looseness of the shows was great, having Kraiger and Jessy up there.....I can't believe one would say they amost wished they'd have missed this one. And to me, First Avenue is the pinnacle of a place to see these guys, and the packed floor makes it even better (of course I'm biased being over 6', no problem seeing from anywhere, but I stayed in the back). The energy is just crazy. I'd take seeing them there in a packed house over some other generic club with 100 people anytime.

muskytoes
09-24-2003, 01:13 PM
Well the show was hardly loose
the setlist reflects the show and who will be onstage to play what songs
they were all played in the order they appear
except the encore's
this is where the loose-ness of the show happens
and it didn't happen, pretty straight forward show
no surprises, Kraig and Jesse onstage would hardly qualify as anything other than expected, since KJJ was the warm up, it's almost a gimmie.

I've allways said, "You gotta watch your back at the club!!!!"

I've also seen just how crazy it can get in there too. Nirvana '91 tour the floor was a mass of bodies surfing and beer spilling that sent me over the top of the soundboard. Yes over the top, before they ever put ropes around the board. The tech caught me and helped me down without even thinking about it, musta been a common occurance at Nirvana's club shows.
Now-a-days you can't body surf (thank God) and the soundboard is protected by ropes and pillars.
Gear Daddies Farwell shows we're by far the most crowded, most drunken, Frat boys shows ever.
Last week was mild
Get your Doc Martin's and Black Leather ready for December

LakesMan
09-24-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by muskytoes
Besides after seeing them play there for the last 14 years I really don't need to be up front.

I couldn't agree with you more, Musky. Why fight a losing battle?? For years now, when I go to FA, I stand at the top of the stairs and to the right of the soundboard (everyone knows that the best sound in any venue is next to the soundboard, right?). I always have a good view of the band, and beer and bathroom access is a breeze.

The closest I came to any hastles on Saturday night was the guy behind me that tapped me on the shoulder and asked if I could move over so that his girlfriend could see. Now, I thought he was setting his expectations of "Minnesota nice" a little high since I didn't have a whole lot of room to be moving and this was FA after all, but alas I moved a step or two over so that they could enjoy the show.

jcarlile
09-24-2003, 01:34 PM
Just my .02 worth on the show.

I have to agree with NDHawkFan, I thought the show was great. Granted I think any Jayhawks show is, but that's just me. Enjoyed seeing so many people getting up to join in, people coming & going, it almost reminded me of the Golden Smog show. I liked the setlist, although "Better Days" would have made my night. I was hoping for a Johnny Cash mention too.

I love First Ave, I always think the shows are better there than anywhere else. Gary was really wild and crazy wasn't he? Thought when he jumped down, he'd strangle himself with the cord wrapped around his neck, and he wasn't even paying attention to it! Speaking of crazy, at the end, some in the crowd, at least in front, got a little out of control. I had to struggle to keep my little space and keep on my feet. Didn't enjoy that a bit! There were some girls yelling how they are so in love with Gary and just had to push up to the front to try to somehow touch him I think. I can understand, but c'mon, don't knock people over doing it! After saying all that, there's no where else I'd rather stand though than right in front!

Great seeing everyone again. You know who you are... Kim, now I know why I didn't see you after the show.. Anyway, till next time... take care, Joyce

NY Fan
09-24-2003, 02:28 PM
The range of experiences and opinions about this show sounds... about right for any show. I can hardly remember a show where there hasn't been some hassle I've either seen or been involved with, and that goes for ANY band, any show, any town.

A very mild example was just this last tour, when it appeared that I was the dick (hard to believe, but yes). As the 'Hawks began I slid into a VERY open spot about five feet in front of the stage that happened to be in front of this slightly short dude and his girl. Plenty of room for one person my size; I'm very average in height.

But the dude taps me, and says, "You can't stand there. We're here." I indicate that this spot had been wide open. "Yes. But you can't come in now and stand there."

Now come on, people, it's packed in these clubs. Everybody knows that when the headliners come on, you slide as close as you can if there's room in front of you. This couple didn't do that, so I'm supposed to stand behind them when there's four cubic feet of space doing nothing?!?

Being the nice guy that I am, I brokered a deal: "O.k. -- then YOU move up here in front of me!" But they didn't like that!! I finally said, "either you take my spot and I'll stand behind you... or I'm staying here!"

They took my spot. Fine with me!

Anyway, yes, places where there's alcohol, lots of young people, loud music... there are going to be conflicts. Even for nice, thoughtful bands like the Jayhawks. Rock 'n roll!

But here's the real question: WHO THE F*&K TAPED THIS SHOW???

-- GM

takemewithyou
09-24-2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by LiladyK

the sight of our webmaster grabbing Gary's tush to lift and assist him back up onto the stage...... PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously that wasn't me! In fact he bawled me out after for not helping him up but I was freaking out because I almost dropped Jeff Tweedy once.... :p

LakesMan
09-24-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by takemewithyou

...I almost dropped Jeff Tweedy once.... :p

I almost dropped Natalie Merchant from 10,000 Maniacs once....:)

takemewithyou
09-24-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by LakesMan

I almost dropped Natalie Merchant from 10,000 Maniacs once....:)

She bodysurfs too?

Moondancer
09-24-2003, 04:56 PM
I dragged a friend of mine to the show who hadn't heard the Jayhawks live before. Which I usually do. He did NOT talk during the show which is a blessing in itself. We met early and sat at a table with a gal I met in the ladies room and with her boyfriend. Stage left. Very nice folks and Jayhawks fans so naturally we got along.

Where we were it was pretty relaxed until two gals decided to stand in front of me for the last few songs of the set and the entire encore. There wasn't room for my knees anymore. As long as I can hear the music I'm pretty happy. By now I know what they look like, but it is nice to watch the Hawks play. They (the girls) didn't start yelling or anything like that.

However, I was pretty much blown off of my bar stool by Gary's guitar playing. I mean really. Didn't expect that! Especially after playing how many shows without a break? When they started to play my nurturing instinct kicked in and I wanted to make a big dinner for them. They looked thin and tired but happy enough. Suprised they didn't play Badtime, but I'm not one to complain.

KJJ&Da Program were delightfully rockin. Had a shit eating grin during their entire set. Nothing too surprising there. Went to get something to drink when they started playing She Comes so Quietly. Only had to go about 20 feet to the side bar and it took me well into the next song before I got back to my seat. Crowed. It was great to see such a big turnout for the Ave and for such a good cause.

LiladyK
10-01-2003, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by takemewithyou

Seriously that wasn't me! In fact he bawled me out after for not helping him up but I was freaking out because I almost dropped Jeff Tweedy once.... :p

Oh yeah! I musta forgot that it was ME to your right and behind you that was grabbing Gary's tush!;)

....no, all kidding aside, I was right behind you and I noticed that you DID push his feet right outta my face when he finally got up there. Thanks for saving me from another broken nose incident (broke it once as a teen playing baseball) :eek:

makes me wonder if he'd had said something to me also about not helping him up, if I'd have stuck around to hear it from him, because for a short while he just stood there directly in front of me with his back to me, looking up at the stage like he was trying to figure out how to get up there.....'course, I myself just stood there and watched the entire amusing event. DOAH!

He's come down off the stage 3 times in my face, so this was the first one I've seen him come down in front of someone else's face......guess it's time to give that man some steps off the stage!:p

Moondancer
10-01-2003, 11:02 AM
I didn't know Gary's ass was up for grabs :-)

Sorry. Couldn't resist!

LiladyK
10-01-2003, 08:16 PM
I think he wanted it to be up for grabs ;)

that Red Stripe beer he had in him made him feel like stripping....

he started to rip his shirt off and the girls in the aud. screamed.....geez, Gary, it was hot 'nuff down there for us ladies:eek:

Idigamidget
10-03-2003, 09:03 AM
wish i'd been there to wrap that guys scrotum up and around his neck kim (aka my fave "midget") :mad:

been to music fests with lilady and friends see her get bugged couple times before by drunk guys but this really blows

a cupie doll with a beer in hand her cuteness is her curse
meet her just once and see what i mean

not braggin but this sounds like a line of a good song

NY Fan
10-03-2003, 02:36 PM
I have put these lines in a computer program that profiles authors, and have come to the conclusion that idigamidget is none other than...

MUSKYTOES!

I have outed you, pal. Fess up, and give me props and a few bootleg show from 2003 as my reward. I'm calling you out, buddy!

-- GM