PDA

View Full Version : London 17/9

Chaosdan
09-17-2003, 08:03 PM
Just got back from the Shepherd's Bush Empire... thought I'd post a setlist with a few thoughts! A great show, the band were really having fun. Really tight, and a nice balance between the acoustic/harmony-led material and the rockier stuff. This gig showed why The Jayhawks, to me, aren't country rock, or alt.country or whatever you want to call it... they're just a truly great American rock'n'roll band.

The crowd was enthusiastic and the band clearly tried to get every last second they could out of the show... they played for just under 2 hours. The set looked something like this...

Life Floats By
Eyes of Sarah-Jayne
Angelyne
What Led Me This Town
Take Me With You (When You Go)
Trouble
Settled Down Like Rain
Two Hearts
Tampa To Tulsa
Expecting To Fly
Caught With A Smile On Your Face
Waiting For The Sun
Sixteen Down
Stumbling Through The Dark
All The Right reasons
Id Run Away
Blue
Clouds
Tailspin

ENCORE:
Will I See You In Heaven
Save It For A Rainy Day
I'm Gonna Make You Love Me
Haywire (with a Flying V guitar!!!)
Sister Cry

Support Grand Drive were good... their keyboardist joined in on Blue and one earlier, while their singer played guitar & sang on Tailspin. The crowd were constantly shouting requests... just before Haywire Gary said he could stand all night and listen to song requests, before saying "I'm gonna play this one for me". He also said that this was the end of their tour and wasn't sure when they'd be back.

NY Fan
09-17-2003, 10:03 PM
For me, this setlist looks like the best I've seen on the tour.

I will donate an organ to the person who can find me a copy. Come on, U.K. tapers, you know you were there with your kit! Share the wealth with your crass American fellow-'Hawks fans.

Somebody say they taped this, and p.m. me. I'm beggin' ya.

-- GM

Moondancer
09-18-2003, 12:53 AM
yeah, that is one bitchin' set list
what a show

The Bugmon
09-18-2003, 04:55 AM
It was a great gig and great setlist

The sound was a bit muddy for the first 5 songs in my opinion
was this because I was Standing under the balcony near the bar?

The Flying V was a truly uplifting spiritual experience.!!

Chaosdan
09-18-2003, 05:05 AM
Yeah, I don't think the sound is always that great towards the back anyway, but it it definitely sounded better after a few songs. Superb by the end.

Here's something I noticed... Gary skipped the "pinch me I'm dreaming" line from 'I'm Gonna Make You...'. I've always cringed a little at that line myself, and clearly now he does too...

One heart
09-18-2003, 05:19 AM
Just before Sister Cry, but Gary checked his watch and said that there was enough time for just one more song... so they played a looooooooong Sister Cry, it was amazing!!!!:)

*13*

Julianne
09-18-2003, 06:10 AM
Some of us at the front didn't have a good time with the sound at all. We could barely hear anything that Gary sang the entire show while Steven's stuff often drowned the others out. For me the sound was disappointing, but the show still rocked.

One heart
09-18-2003, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by Julianne
Some of us at the front didn't have a good time with the sound at all. We could barely hear anything that Gary sang the entire show while Steven's stuff often drowned the others out. For me the sound was disappointing, but the show still rocked.

Totally agree with you..
I was in front of Steven and a lot of times I could hardly hear Gary's voice.
I enjoyed the show but in my opinion the accoustic one at Dingwalls last May was much better and not just because the sound.
Still rocked as you've said;)

*13*

Btw Woman's Club CD was sold out at the end of the show.

The Bugmon
09-18-2003, 06:50 AM
Re Womens Club CD
I got there late only to see the Display and last cd being sold
What is on this disc and will there be a chance to buy it again??

One heart
09-18-2003, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by The Bugmon
Re Womens Club CD
I got there late only to see the Display and last cd being sold
What is on this disc and will there be a chance to buy it again??

It's an official bootleg recording of the 04/26/02 Woman's Club acoustic show in Minneapolis, and it has been sold only at shows.

I got it before the show started but I haven't got the chance to listen to it yet... I can't wait to finish work today;)

*13*

Julianne
09-18-2003, 07:20 AM
I agree, the Dingwalls show was more enjoyable, great little venue, so I'm glad I went to that one too. Luckily I knew the words to last night's songs but if I didn't I wouldn't have had a clue what Gary was singing. What did you think about the sound for Grand Drive's set? I thought it was better than it was for the Jayhawks although when the keyboard chap came to the front to sing for the last song he sounded muddy.

Glad the support was Grand Drive, I saw them a few years back supporting The Montrose Avenue (who in turn I'd seen supporting the Jayhawks) and I've been listening to them ever since. Every time I've seen the 'hawks I've thought the support has been excellent.

JayB
09-18-2003, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by NY Fan
Somebody say they taped this, and p.m. me. I'm beggin' ya.

This was taped.

I know, cos I was there with the guy who taped it.

JayB
09-18-2003, 07:26 AM
I thought last nights show blew the Dingwalls gig out of the water...

Sister Cry was epic with a jawdropping guitar/lapsteel jam in the middle that went on forever and still wasn't long enough!!

Awesome, awesome show...

One heart
09-18-2003, 07:33 AM
What did you think about the sound for Grand Drive's set? I thought it was better than it was for the Jayhawks.

Yes, for me it was better too.

*13*

One heart
09-18-2003, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by JayB
Sister Cry was epic with a jawdropping guitar/lapsteel jam in the middle that went on forever and still wasn't long enough!!

Yeh, Sister Cry was amazing

:D

Any chance to get a copy of the show??

*13*

JayB
09-18-2003, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by One heart
Any chance to get a copy of the show??

I'm sure something will be organised here on this board when the show gets transferred to disc and is ready for distribution.

Beat_Arcane
09-18-2003, 10:11 AM
This was my worst Jayhawks gig to date.
Not anything to do with the band but simply due to the unbelievable ignorance shown by the audience around me.

It truly amazes me how some individuals can be so inconsiderate.
Why go to a concert if all you're going to do all night is talk??

We got to the gig early to get a place where we wanted to be, but as soon as the Jayhawks came onstage half a dozen people pushed their way in front of us and proceeded to yack non-stop and continually walk back and forth to the bar to get more alcohol.
Piss off if you don't want to listen to the band.

This spoilt the whole experience for me.

JayB
09-18-2003, 10:39 AM
The girl next to me took a whole bunch of photo's... I was kind of hoping she'd show up here posting the pics. :rolleyes:

One heart
09-18-2003, 10:58 AM
The girl next to me took a whole bunch of photo's... I was kind of hoping she'd show up here posting the pics. :rolleyes:

I took a few photo's too, I'll try to post it here :)

*13*

(P.S.: I'll post the setlist too if anyone is interested)

JayB
09-18-2003, 11:09 AM
Cool stuff.

We should have had a beer together...

One heart
09-18-2003, 11:14 AM
Sure... next time!
Where were you btw?

*13*

JayB
09-18-2003, 11:33 AM
One row from the front, just leftish of Gary... his guitar nearly touched my head when he leant over the audience...

Where were you?

One heart
09-18-2003, 11:41 AM
First row, just in front of Steven... Gary never came to this side :(

*13*

Julianne
09-18-2003, 11:47 AM
Sounds like you were right behind me, JayB.

By the way, just listened to my copy of the Women's Club CD - it's amazing!

Toasey
09-18-2003, 04:52 PM
Did anyone else notice, or was I imagining it, but during Waiting For The Sun Gary did an intro solo like Hendrix's Voodoo Chile and then in the main solo he played part of 'All Along The Watchtower'.

This got me thinking about the date and when I got home and checked sure enough Jimi died sometime on the 18th September the next day, and only a few miles from the Shepherds Bush Empire.

Surely not coincidence, and appropriate for one master guitarist to honour another one.

Lenno
09-19-2003, 01:31 AM
great research. I really like those hidden messages!

JayB
09-19-2003, 03:25 AM
Sounds like you were right behind me, JayB.

It was nice to meet you in that case...

JayB
09-19-2003, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by Toasey
Did anyone else notice, or was I imagining it, but during Waiting For The Sun Gary did an intro solo like Hendrix's Voodoo Chile and then in the main solo he played part of 'All Along The Watchtower'.

This got me thinking about the date and when I got home and checked sure enough Jimi died sometime on the 18th September the next day, and only a few miles from the Shepherds Bush Empire.

Surely not coincidence, and appropriate for one master guitarist to honour another one.

That's too cool...

Uncle Funk
09-19-2003, 03:45 AM
This was taped.

I know, cos I was there with the guy who taped it.

That would be me! It came out pretty well all considered, so I'll offer the show up as soon as I've got the cdr/shn transfer done.

JayB
09-19-2003, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by Uncle Funk
That would be me! It came out pretty well all considered, so I'll offer the show up as soon as I've got the cdr/shn transfer done.

Fancy meeting you here.

One heart
09-19-2003, 05:55 AM

That's very nice of you :)
Thanks Uncle Funk and welcome to the board!
*13*

christine
09-19-2003, 10:03 AM

was wondering when youd finally show your face round here.....it was only a matter of time :D

Haggischomper
09-20-2003, 05:19 AM

Glad the support was Grand Drive, I saw them a few years back supporting The Montrose Avenue (who in turn I'd seen supporting the Jayhawks) and I've been listening to them ever since. Every time I've seen the 'hawks I've thought the support has been excellent.

The Montrose Avenue! Oh my God, I had consigned them to the dustbin of my memory. Saw them open for the 'Hawks at the Arches in Glasgow. Thought they were terrible, truly uninspiring - and after I had read such good stuff about them too. To my ears they just sounded like they were going through the motions. They also did a plodding cover of a Neil Young song. The memory isn't what it used to be but would it have been Ohio? For The Turnstyles? Tired Eyes? I am thinking it was For The Turnstyles but I may be mixing that up with when Grant Lee Buffalo played the Arches.

Uncle Funk
09-20-2003, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by christine
was wondering when youd finally show your face round here.....it was only a matter of time :D

It's good to know I'm that predictable! ;)

christine
09-20-2003, 01:00 PM

It's good to know I'm that predictable! ;)

what else have you got to do? :p

JayB
09-22-2003, 04:17 AM

what else have you got to do? :p

Fair point, I'd say.

Uncle Funk
09-24-2003, 05:54 PM
So harsh...:rolleyes:

I've told you both many times - I'm retired. ;)

christine
09-24-2003, 05:58 PM
So harsh...:rolleyes:

I've told you both many times - I'm retired. ;)

noone retires in their early 20s.
unless theyre boring accountants that is :D then its best to get out asap

JayB
09-25-2003, 04:34 AM
noone retires in their early 20s.
unless theyre boring accountants that is :D then its best to get out asap

Do I detect some jealousy here Christine?

Chaosdan
09-25-2003, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by Haggischomper

The Montrose Avenue! Oh my God, I had consigned them to the dustbin of my memory. .

I went to school with the two main guys in Montrose Avenue... they used to play as a metal band called Nightbreed. They were terrible too. One of them, Scott, now plays in the Stereophonics.

christine
09-25-2003, 06:45 AM

Do I detect some jealousy here Christine?

jealousy? i dont get jealous. :p

JayB
09-25-2003, 06:47 AM
jealousy? i dont get jealous. :p

Hmmm, I've heard that before... :rolleyes:

christine
09-25-2003, 06:49 AM

Hmmm, I've heard that before... :rolleyes:

youre just jealous because i dont get jealous :D

JayB
09-25-2003, 07:27 AM

youre just jealous because i dont get jealous :D

jealous? i dont get jealous. :p

Uncle Funk
09-25-2003, 09:51 AM
ooh, big circular argument.

This could last days!

christine
09-25-2003, 10:26 AM
ooh, big circular argument.

This could last days!

youre just jealous because youre not involved in this particular argument.

JayB
09-25-2003, 11:18 AM

:D

Uncle Funk
09-25-2003, 01:01 PM

Ah, but in pointing out my lack of involvement you've actually pulled me into the argument. Your point is self defeating.

My head hurts.

chrisinmd
09-25-2003, 03:37 PM
How many people would you say that the London venue(Shepards Bush Empire) holds? I've always heard of the place, but never really knew too much about it. What's it like on the inside - big rock club, theater?

Thanks!
Chris

Uncle Funk
09-25-2003, 04:24 PM
Their web site says it holds 2000 standing, but I wouldn't have said it looks that large from the inside.

I can't believe there were anything like 2000 people in there last Wednesday....

Uncle Funk
09-25-2003, 04:27 PM
Web site link for those interested:

linky (http://www.shepherds-bush-empire.co.uk/empire/venue_info/index.cfm)

Beat_Arcane
09-25-2003, 04:28 PM
Chris, the empire holds about 1500-2000 people i think.
Basically it's an old victorian theatre.
One of its best features is the architecture of the ceiling.....it's wonderful.
I wonder how many people have been to see bands there and have never noticed the ceiling?? (or am i just anal for digging the ceiling of a musical venue!!)

I'm pretty sure the BBC used to own it because they used to do a lot of TV programmes from there.

Actually just found a web page with its history if you are that interested:
http://www.shepherds-bush-empire.co.uk/empire/venue_info/history.cfm

Beat_Arcane
09-25-2003, 04:29 PM
Uncle funk beat me to it!!!

chrisinmd
09-25-2003, 04:30 PM
That's really great! Many thanks for the info. Was the Jayhawks show sold-out?

Uncle Funk
09-25-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by chrisinmd
Was the Jayhawks show sold-out?

No. The scalpers outside were selling tickets below face value when we walked in.

JayB
09-26-2003, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by Beat_Arcane
I wonder how many people have been to see bands there and have never noticed the ceiling?? (or am i just anal for digging the ceiling of a musical venue!!)

Nope, I noticed that at the Jayhawks gig... it's a nice venue, if a little out of the way.