PDA

View Full Version : Edinburgh, Newcastle, Manchester In One

christine
09-05-2003, 03:00 PM
What a trip!!!

Edinburgh:

Got into Edinburgh about 7.30 ish, after getting lost!! (weve never driven to edinburgh before, and are never likely to try it again!!). i was there unfortunatly in time to see the support band, who I was thoroughly unimpressed with. They started off slow, and only had a couple of songs I liked.

The Jayhawks came on at about 9.15. Sound was apparantly crappy, but I was too pissed of with the drunken lunatics next to me to notice too much. We got a spot a couple of meters away from the stage, and had a pretty good view (Im short, so we have to stand close if I want to get anything except audience noise recorded).

Setlist: (This is copied from another post as I closed my window after writing the review!!! I added some notes)

EYES OF SARAJANE
LIFE FLOATS BY
ANGELYNE
STUMBLING THROUGH THE DARK
AIN'T NO END
TAMPA TO TULSA
TAKE ME WITH YOU (WHEN YOU GO)
SOMEWHERE IN OHIO
I'D RUN AWAY
BLUE (W/JULIAN FROM GRAND DRIVE ON KEYBOARD)
SETTLED DOWN LIKE RAIN (W/JULIAN FROM GRAND DRIVE ON KEYBOARD)
SIXTEEN DOWN
EXPECTING TO FLY
A BREAK IN THE CLOUDS
SAVE IT FOR A RAINY DAY
LOST MY DRIVING WHEEL
SAY YOUR PRAYERS
HAYWIRE
SISTER CRY
E:
WAITING FOR THE SUN (GARY SOLO)
QUEEN OF THE WORLD (PART OF)
ALL THE RIGHT REASONS
DON'T LET THE WORLD GET IN YOUR WAY
TWO HEARTS
NOTHING LEFT TO BORROW
TAILSPIN (W/ DAN FROM GRAND DRIVE)

I thought the band played brilliantly, but the audience where i was standing was crap, and I left feeling sorry for the band.

On the way home we got lost again after recieving a phone all to pick my sister up at the train station in Edinburgh. There are two, and she failed to say which, so while we are parked at Haymarket looking for her, shes standing at Waverly waiting for us. We ended up not getting home until about 2, which meant i ended up with maybe 4 hours sleep to get me through the next day!

Newcastle:

We arrived in Newcastle, and walked about 15 mins toi our hotel. And to my utter surprise, the bands bus is sitting outside!!

Anyway, we leave the bags at the hotel, and go wandering for a while. Newcastle itself I thought was OK. Ive never been, and went with someone who is a lazy bast..d, so I couldnt really do much exploring.

I forgot the doors opening time, so I just made up a time, and I made it 6. So we got to the venue at 6, only to find the band standing out on the street. I couldve died!!!

We spoke to Gary for maybe 5 mins, just about the Edinburgh show, and what songs they were going to play. I asked if they could play Trouble, cos I love that song. I told him I wasnt too impressed with the Edinburgh crowd the night before, but I cant remember for the life of me what he said in reply!! He also said hed try to change the setlist up, and that they were going to play roughly the same songs every night, as not many people tend to see more than 1 show. I also said that I wished they would play longer, and he said they were playing about an hour 45, and that they wish they could play longer too.

Gary also mentioned that in Edinburgh there had been some confusion in the encore. He had written down down possible songs they could play, but the band played all the songs on the list. I had noticed this.

After we got his autograph, we went outside, and as Gary had signed my Edinburgh ticket, which was small, I had to use the street map I had to ask Marc if he could sign the street map I had to newcastle!! He kindly obliged, and we told him we were at the show in Edinburgh, and would be going to Manchester. He asked if we were going to the London show, but i explained that I had to go back to Uni on the 15th, and that that was the only thing stopping me from going!! He struck me as a very quiet person, very charming.

We then went and spoke to Tim, got his autograph on the map, told him about Edinburgh, Manchester. Gary tyhen came out and commented that we thought the crowd asnt that great in Edinburgh, which he replied :"I thought we had themat the beginning, but then we lost them, so we went the same way".

Setlist: (Gary said theyd mix it up, and they did just that!)

Stumbling Through The Dark
Angelyne
What Led Me To This Town
Take Me With You (When You Go)
Trouble (YAY!!)
Two Hearts
Eyes of Sara Jane
Save It For A Rainy Day
Tampa To Tulsa
Sister Cry
Settled Down Like Rain
Id Run Away
Dont Let The World Get In Your Way
A Break In The Clouds
All The Right Reasons
Blue
Big Star
Life Floats By
E:
Waiting For The Sun
Bottomless Cup
Im Gonna Make You Love Me
Tailspin

At this particular venue, my boyfriend managed to break his chair. I also bought a tshirt, and the Womens Club CD. They put the price up to 10 from 8. I didnt mind paying the extra 2 though. Gary also did the jumping off stage thing with his guitar, which he couldnt do at Edinbugrh.

I still cant believe I met them. And spoke to them. WOW!! I thought after I mentioned the fact I was going to see them in Manchester also, theyd think for sure i was a psycho.

Manchester:

Nothing interesting happened.

Setlist:

Stumbling Through The Dark
Angelyne
Take Me With You
Somewhere In Ohio
Sixteen Down
Two Hearts
Eyes of Sarajane
Save It For A Rainy Day
Tampa To Tulsa
Sister Cry (WOW!!!)
Settled Down Like Ran
Id Run Away
Bottomless Cup
Blue
Big Star
Life Floats By
E:
Waiting For The Sun (Gary solo)
All The Right Reasons
Broken Harpoon
Haywire
Nothing Left To Borrow
Tailspin

Dan and Julian came out in both Newcastle and Manchester for the same songs as Edinburgh.

I also bought another tshirt.

This show is by far my favourite. I was right down the front (front row really) in front of Marc, who I am now convinced is one the the best bass players Ive seen. The bass levels for this show were quite high, at least higher than the other 2. Every time Tim hit the drums hard, or whenever Marc really went at it with the bass, I could feel it in my stomach. There also a false start, but cant remember which one. Alot of strange monets during the show, and stuff I hadnt realised before happening between the band (like Marc telling the sound guy when Gary was too quiet or too loud).

They jammed out Sister Cry in all 3 shows I saw, but this one was my favourite jam-out. It was stunning!!

I was also surprised to see families at all the shows. Ive never seen that vefore, and i think just shows that families can actually enjoy the same music together.

The recording: The Edinbugrh and Manchester shows came out good, the Newcastle one something went wrong wth my battery box, which meant 1 channel was very quiet. I later found out this was my dodgy soldering work when building the thing, and quickly fixed it with electical tape. I though my bass roll-off levels would be too high, but it sounds really good. Ill master them over the weekend probably.

My boyfriend also took photos, buts he no photographer are they are crap. Theres a couple of good ones, but not many. Ill scan them and send them into Sandy.

Anyway, thats all I can think of right now....

christine
09-05-2003, 03:44 PM
Also, we never got a chnace to speak to Stepehn. He kept walking away. First when I spoke to Gary, then Marc, and then Tim. He just walked away!!

I assumed that meant he didnt want to talk or anything like that. But strangely enough, he seemed really nice!!

braveheart
09-05-2003, 09:22 PM
Hey Christine i think we had the same drunken goons beside us! The main one shouted at Gary if he had been at the Stones gig the night before.I was going to shout no..he was in fucking Bristol that night,but did'nt maybe want to start bother!
Gary could'nt understand what he was saying,and just said we will talk later!

ArmedJimmy
09-07-2003, 10:46 AM
there was at least 2 groups of drunks shouting at big Gary in Edinburgh. Still a quality concert.

christine I would agree with every thing you said except the

Ive never been, and went with someone who is a lazy bast..d

the fact that a man would go shopping even slightly with you shows he must love you very much :D

I told him I wasnt too impressed with the Edinburgh crowd the night before, but I cant remember for the life of me what he said in reply
He said he felt the same and that he wasnt sure of the reason, but thought it could have been the technical problems they were having.

The manchester gig was my fave out the 3 as well, but the venue was far better suited as well as it was obviusly built for concerts(as opposed to operas)..and the drink was cheap :D

p.s. I was the "lazy bast..d" that went with christine.

ArmedJimmy
09-07-2003, 10:55 AM
and I liked grand drive. They seemed to really enjoy playing in all 3 concerts, which IMHO made it even better.

braveheart
09-07-2003, 10:57 AM
I was right on the barrier slightly to the left of Gary.The guy who was doing the shouting was a few bodies to my right.He actually appeared to fall asleep at one point till the security gave him a nudge!!
That seemed to revive him and security had to actually stop him climbing on the barrier a couple of times.
Total numb-nut!

braveheart
09-07-2003, 10:58 AM
I enjoyed Grand Drive too Jimmy,im going to check their albums out.

Haggischomper
09-07-2003, 01:44 PM
I have one of the Grand Drive cds - True Love & High Adventure. It's okay, not outstanding, but a few good tracks on there. They struck me (at least with that album) as being kinda Mercury Rev-ish in a UK sort of way.

JayB
09-08-2003, 10:39 AM
Great review Christine, thanks!

Can't wait for the 17th... woohoo!