PDA

View Full Version : Edinburgh concert

telcharm
09-03-2003, 04:05 AM
The concert in Edinburgh was recked for me due to the appalling sound levels used. The gig was fine when they were not using the Gibson SG,but as soon as Gary played this the voices were drowned out. Such a shame! The support band also suffered from this complete incompetence. Shoot the sound man!
I hope that this is an isolated blip in their tour. Having seen them three times I know what they are capable of. This was far from a true reflection as to their abilities.

Lenno
09-03-2003, 05:44 AM
too bad, telcharm! There is nothing worse than bad sound (or it must be the barpeople chatting a show apart)
Anymore comments on this show?

QueenOfTheWorld
09-03-2003, 09:30 AM
Hey people!

Im new to this board...just joined today...im Stephi..18 from Scotland!

I went ot the concert last night and i think it was awesome. I was just glad to be there and se them live for the first time and because it was the first time i saw them live i have nothin to compare it to, so perhaps thats why i dont have many criticisms!

Anyways,
Rock on Guys!!

Stephi :)

braveheart
09-03-2003, 03:19 PM
Dont know about the sound elsewhere in the hall,but at the very front particulary at the start of the show it was pretty bad in my view.
It did improve though.Still a great show! Next time get back to the Old Fruitmarket,Arches or the Garage!!
Great to finally get a copy of the Womens Club Show!!

smog
09-03-2003, 03:21 PM
I was also at the Edinburgh & firstly whoever booked the Usher hall screwed up, the show should have been in the Queens Hall !
Anyhow I still thought it was a wonderful show (5th time in Scotland for me) great seeing them electric again (after the wonderful Ferry acoustic gig). Stephen McCarthy, I thought fitted in very well & is one hell of a player. Grand Drive were a perfect support band & great to see each of the brothers on stage with the JHawks. T shirt purchased but I was too late for the live CD but no complaints the Jayhawks are still easily the finest American band playing live by a country mile (of course only my humble opinium). Great night roll on the next time !!!:)
________
AVANDIA SETTLEMENTS (http://classactionsettlements.org/)

smog
09-03-2003, 03:24 PM
Did anyone one manage to get a set list ? If yes please post it !:)
________
Bubbler pipe (http://bubblers.net/)

RichG
09-04-2003, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by smog
T shirt purchased but I was too late for the live CD

Hi John,

Are you referring to the Womens Club' cd here? Does that mean they've sold out?!

I'm off to the Manchester gig tonight & was looking forward to finally getting my hands on a copy !

Rich.

mykstermagic
09-04-2003, 05:59 AM
They have sold out apparently. There were none available in Newcastle last night.

Martin

braveheart
09-04-2003, 06:27 AM
Sold out already! How many did they bring with them.They did'nt have any on sale in Glasgow in May either.
I was going to wait till the end of the show before picking one up in Edinburgh but im glad i did'nt!
Its excellent..well worth 10...19 tracks in total.
Do the Jayhawks want to sell CDs or what?

Lenno
09-04-2003, 06:51 AM
Yeah, they must know by now how many they are selling each night. They have weeks of touring to do in Europe. Hopefully they are forwarded or something.

Money in the bag, man those Women's Club CD's. I have a copy now but I would buy the original also.

RichG
09-04-2003, 07:02 AM
Bugger.

Oh, well, i'm still looking forward to tonight's show...Should be a cracker.

Thanks for the info guys.

dunsyd
09-04-2003, 07:56 AM
JAYHAWKS - EDINBURGH 2 SEPTEMBER 2003
EYE'S OF SARAJANE
LIFE FLOATS BY
ANGELYNE
STUMBLING THROUGH THE DARK
AIN'T NO END
TAMPA TO TULSA
TAKE ME WITH YOU (WHEN YOU GO)
SOMEWHERE IN OHIO
I'D RUN AWAY
BLUE
SETTLED DOWN LIKE RAIN
SIXTEEN DOWN
EXPECTING TO FLY
A BREAK IN THE CLOUDS
SAVE IT FOR A RAINY DAY
LOST MY DRIVING WHEEL
SAY YOUR PRAYERS
HAYWIRE
SISTER CRY
ENCORES -
WAITING FOR THE SUN
QUEEN OF THE WORLD (PART)
ALL THE RIGHT REASONS
DON'T LET THE WORLD GET IN YOUR WAY
TWO HEARTS
NOTHING LEFT TO BORROW
TAILSPIN

Sound wasn't great from halfway up the hall - way too boomy. As said previously the Queens Hall would've been better. I recorded the show and it sounds pretty good though. I'll roll off the bass and it should be a lot better.

Enjoyable gig though.

Dunsy

Colin_B
09-04-2003, 02:52 PM
Sound at Newcastle was also dodgy, which is a shame.
Glasgow renfrew far superior.
Got a copy of Woman's club, they only had 10 left apparently.

donaldson57
09-04-2003, 03:54 PM
I agree,the sound was bad,but I enjoyed the concert ! I thought Stephen McCarthy was excellent ! Shades of Al Perkins !!!!
I liked The Ferry gig,but the Edinburgh gig was better ! ,me thinks !

christine
09-05-2003, 01:02 PM
My review will be in a seperate post shortly. along with the newcastle and manchester reviews.

I need time to think about it, and listen back to my recordings of all 3!!!

braveheart
09-05-2003, 08:33 PM
Im not trying to slag off Edinburgh crowds here,because i know us Jayhawks fans travel from all over the country to see them..ie they are not all from Edinburgh.
The crowd did seem a bit subdued compared to the Glasgow shows i've attended.
What about the Barrowlands next time?

christine
09-06-2003, 01:44 AM
i thought it couold have been the fact it was in edinburgh too. i like glasgow more also!

donaldson57
09-06-2003, 09:07 PM
Going back to the choice of venue ! I don't care where The Jayhawks play,I would rather see them remain a "cult" band !
Could you Imagine if they became massive and played the S.E.C.C. and it cost 35 a ticket,plus you are a mile from stage and watching the screen is like being at home watching them on Telly ! No thank you
As for that girl(Christine) who said the audience were terrible in Edinburgh,that's crap,the band got a great reception and if the drunks spoilt your night,just stand back a bit. Most concerts the drunks come in late and push their way to the front !

christine
09-07-2003, 03:36 AM
actually, the audience where i was was crap, because the drunks annoyed EVERYONE around me. the audience clapped (not loudly), and only 1 girl was dancing. to me, thats a crap audience.

I personally think the usher hall was too big for them.

And the drunks didnt ruin it for me, or i would have moved. but they annoyed security so much they had to come out and talk to them a number of times. They were rude, walked into people, shouted into peoples ears. By the end of the show, there was a ring of free space around them.

And they didnt come in late, they arrived at the same time as I did, and proceeded to get drunk.

And if you think i dont know about drunks at concerts, well then youre wrong. an alcoholic mother isnt too much fun at concerts, but ive managed to go to hundreds of shows with her so far. she just isnt as rude and as obnoxious as these guys were when she is drunk.

And like I said, the audience was crap in my part. I didnt say anything about anywhere else in the hall.

donaldson57
09-07-2003, 05:18 AM
Fair comment!The security guys were kept busy !

braveheart
09-07-2003, 10:01 AM
Its a bad day when security are kept busy at a Jayhawks show.
Its not a bloody Oasis gig!!

Haggischomper
09-07-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by donaldson57
Shades of Al Perkins !!!!
I

Al fuckin' Perkins is the man!

rainclouds
09-09-2003, 05:51 AM
I thought the gig was absolutley fantastic. More than fantastic but I am in agreement that the crowd was not as good as at the Ferry. There wasn't such a warmth from the crowd but I still loved it.

LiladyK
09-09-2003, 07:55 AM
As much as all of you know how much I like to have a nice drink every now and then, I have to say that the BEST audience that I've ever experienced in my entire life was the audience at the I.M.U. in Iowa City where we saw Wilco last year.....alcohol/smoking strictly prohibited. I loved it.

I swear to God, each person there (and it was pretty packed) was there for the show itself obviously, not just to socialize (which is what drinking at shows started for many as soon as that was allowed anywhere). And it was sure nice not having to worry about someone's cigarette accidentally bumping itself into you, or having to breathe in the second hand stuff.

I dunno, lots of people are gonna disagree w/me, but I think it'd be great if people were forced to do all their drinking/ smoking all before and after the show at a different place. I'll tell you, it WOULD cut way way down on the talkers and annoying people at shows. At that Wilco show, the entire audience was so very focused on the band, it was amazing. I'm there for the show, damn it, and it's not fair that other people's socializing desires hafta ruin it for me. I paid my money too. I can't believe how many people go to shows and never watch or listen to them......

Can't people hold out for just 2 measly hours out of their entire evening w/out a drink or a cigarette??? ( I used to smoke ciggies myself 20 years ago, so I know that this can be done) And face it, drinking makes ya hafta pee, therefore cutting thru the crowd to get away to the bathroom, resulting in annoying everyone even more so:confused:

christine
09-09-2003, 10:55 AM
Many venues here dont allow smoking indoors now, so smoking isnt a huge problem.

its thr drinking that pisses me off. i dont mind people having a few drinks, but when theyre so drunk they cant stand in one spot, thats when theyve had too much.

I myself dont drink or smoke, but ive never once stopped anyone ive been with from drinking or smoking

poorlittlefish
09-09-2003, 03:23 PM
It's really hard for me, personally, to go out and NOT smoke. I smoke more when I go out than at home. So no, I probably couldn't hold out for those 2 hours. That's just me. But I don't really drink much anymore, especially at shows. I might have 1 drink, because I know, if I have more, I'll have to squeeze through all those people to get to the bathroom (and I hate doing that) and I'm afraid I might miss out on something. I do get really annoyed at people who get stupid drunk at shows... my friends included. But as for the smoking thing, I am in total disagreement with you there.

QueenOfTheWorld
09-09-2003, 06:21 PM
u know that u were talkin bout that one girl dancin?? that could have been me!! lmao...where abouts in the crowd were u?? at front?..back??the seats?? I didnt think the crowd were unruly or anything, although i did hear one guy shout 'sing ya c*nt!'...:confused: lol...but Gary and the guys just seemed to laugh it off!

Stephi....:)

christine
09-09-2003, 06:24 PM
we were at the front in front of marc. did you have a coat that you left on the ground? and that drunk dude stood on it a few times?

QueenOfTheWorld
09-09-2003, 06:31 PM
nah lol, i was at back, right next to the sound guys. And i was lookin round and seemed to be the only one dancin! well there was TWO girls dancin then! lol

Stephi....x

Colin_B
09-10-2003, 03:59 PM
Christine,
where in the UK will sell the Marc Ford c.d.?

cheers

christine
09-10-2003, 04:04 PM
nowhere just now. you can order it via his website www.marcford.net . his brother Jeremy is taking orders, and I think he can still get one signed for you if you ask.

alternativly, if you are going to the ben harper shows in London (who Marc is/will be playing guitar for), you might get one there, assuming they dont sell out before then.

But it wont be in stores until he gets a record deal, which I havent heard anything about for a while. Lost Highway were at the last show he played with his band The Sinners, so hopefully theyll see the talent and pick him up.