PDA

View Full Version : Bristol, UK - September 1st

David Farrel
09-01-2003, 07:30 PM
I've just got in from the Bristol Gig - Great way to start a tour! It's been too long since we've had a chance to see this band rock out and they fed off the audience tonight tenfold. F*cking Stunning! Great Audience, Good Venue and I was right up front centre left. Had too move out of the way when Gary went croud walking at the end! Once I've had some sleep and worked tomorrow I'll try and write some proper thoughts down.

Happy, Happy days

Lenno
09-02-2003, 03:20 AM
sounds great ! Now I'll have to wait two weeks and in the meantime read those reviews closing in on the shows in Holland.
Anticipation !!!

christine
09-02-2003, 06:03 AM
can hardly wait for tonight or tomorrow or thursday now!

WOOHOO!

One heart
09-02-2003, 07:40 AM
I can't wait till the 17th...
Tell us more, please!!!

*13*

Beat_Arcane
09-02-2003, 09:22 AM
Just got in from the Bristol gig (well, i had a 150 mile train journey to take in!)

Blinding gig.
Gary had the SG out and cranked up loud.....amazing.
Crowd seemed to be singing their hearts out too.

The good news is that they are selling merchandise and there are some T-shirts and the elusive "Women's club" CD on sale.

Spoke to Gary, Marc, and Stephen after the show......
What fantastic down to earth people they are.....great musicians....great people.

Looking forward to the London gig now.

christine
09-02-2003, 09:28 AM
did you happen to see any prices?

Beat_Arcane
09-02-2003, 09:35 AM
Christine, the CDs are 8 (i thought they'd be more than that so that was good) and the T-shirts are 12

christine
09-02-2003, 09:39 AM
thats really quite cheap!! i was expecting about 10-12 for the cd, and about 15-18 for the tshirt.

hopefully theyll have more than 1 style of tshirt on sale, so that way I can buy one for each show I go to, to rmeind of it!

JayB
09-02-2003, 10:28 AM
Hopefully they'll still have the CD available by the time they hit London... I'm looking forward to finally getting my hands on that damn Women's Club.

LiladyK
09-02-2003, 03:24 PM
Good to hear that the Women's Club is "finally" reaching more out of the US. Last year, the majority of them that I sent out was for the fans abroad, cuz it was so impossible for those folks to get back then.......:cool:

Beat_Arcane
09-02-2003, 04:08 PM
LiladyK, you were mentioned last night in conversation with Gary after the show. (it was obviously about the huge amount of messages you post here on this site).
So your status as queen of the board is firmly intact!!

He actually said that one day he might come on here and post a few "true" threads rather than some of the rumour-type ones that certain people favour.
That would indeed be very interesting.

David Farrel
09-02-2003, 06:19 PM
OK - set list was, Not in this order, I think, someone help me out if i've missed anything, I had a couple of beers....and a couple more

All the right reasons
Angelyne
Tampa to Tulsa
Save it for a rainy day
Tailspin
Expecting to Fly
Smile
Trouble
Song from Blue Earth - sorry can't remember
I'm gonna make you love me
Blue
Stumbling Through The Dark
Eyes of sarah Jane
Somewhere in OHIO
I'd Run Away (I think )
Sixteen Down
Bottomless Cup
Sister Cry
Waiting for the sun
Take me with you

For those who don't know Bristol - It used to be a dock town, lots of boats and trade and industry and loved by some but not all. The last ten years the money moved in and its a different bag now. Lots of dock front flats, bars and bouncers. Again, loved by some but not all.
To set the scene, the BierKeller doubles up as a comedy venue and for this evening both flanks had bar benches and tables leaving a good sized central area. It's probably how it always is and works really well. The support were a british 'alt.country' band. Normally the kiss of death here but Grand Drive are different from their predecessors (The RockingHorses spring to mind) in that they have great songs, good singers and a shitkicking guitarist. I've had their latest album for a while but didn't appreciate them until now. Very 'early' Jayhawks and very, very good. They've done some acoustic stuff in the states for Acoustic Cafe or World Cafe I think - definately worth having a look.
I haven't enjoyed a gig as much as this for ages. I've seen some good bands this year. The Be Good Tanyas, Erin Mckeown, Teenage Fanclub all in Dublin. Steve Earle in London and the Hawks in London. This was extra good. Gary was smiling as he came out - made a couple of comments about liking Bristol, staying there last night - usual stuff. But they all looked pretty chilled. I can't remember the set order as its a bit of a blur. I was front row, left of centre - touching distance stuff again. I just remember the gibson coming out, the pedals and the sheer exuberance as they cracked into the set. And the noise was just great. I had to travel to London for work today and almost missed my train because I couldn't hear the announcer properly.
Because of Beer, I'm going to limit this to Sister Cry. I like this song the regular way, the acoustic way, whichever way. But this was like a foxtrot - quick, slow, quick, quick, slow (or was that a waltz ?). I reckon eight, maybe nine minutes of guitar god wankery. The pedal playing chicken with the lead, each taking turns to crank it up. The final crescendo into the end chorus was breathtaking. As you can tell, I love music, I love getting lost in music and I was frigging miles away last night.
I also took proper notice of Marc's bass lines. Someone here wrote something along the lines of he is the best damn bass player there is and I now concurr. He turned up his amp maybe four or five times during the course of the gig to match what was going around him and him and tim drove the whole kit and kaboodle. That is a rhythm section any band would be proud of.
Smile was unexpected, waiting for the sun was first encore acoustic, tim's vocals were ace.
The only downside of the whole night was having to leave early because of mindnumbing work !
Sorry this is confused. I would have got a set list but got beaten to it (again because of beer!) which would have helped my memory, but I just remember I fell asleep when I got in last night and at some point in the night I dreampt I was playing a gibson sg special in front of hundreds of people and I was the best guitar player in a rock and roll band. I'm 31 years old and I still dream about that shit !

David Farrel
09-02-2003, 06:23 PM
Gary aslo namechecked the site as the bands website which was cool - he didn't mention the lost highway one - said everyone should check out the website at jayhawksfanpage.com :cool:

Beat_Arcane
09-03-2003, 02:59 AM
"Ain't no end" is the song they did from Blue Earth.

One heart
09-03-2003, 04:58 AM
Thanks for sharing David and Beat_Arcane!!

*13*