PDA

View Full Version : Poll: What format will you buy Jayhawks reissues?

jebstuart
11-09-2009, 08:43 PM
Recently I have collected reissues from Wilco, the Flying Burrito Bros, and Big Star on 180 gram vinyl. I had forgotten how good Big Star is. Wow! I have been eagerly looking forward to the Jayhawks reissues. So here is your chance to voice the format you plan to buy them in.
________
Avandia lawsuit (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/avandia/)

Precious Time
11-09-2009, 09:11 PM
I would vote 'DAT' but you forgot that format ;-)
Seriously, I was wondering the other day when the re-issues are going to appear!

Haggischomper
11-09-2009, 09:27 PM
I think PD mentioned a while back they had been delayed. Luckily jayhawks fans are pretty patient (where IS that live cd anyway?)

I'll be buying them on CD

goody59
11-09-2009, 10:07 PM
I would think there would be a boatload of songs written by Louris and Olson (separately I'm thinking) sitting around just begging to be recorded by some configurtion of solo acts/groups/whatever. Vagabonds and Ready For The Flood were written quite some time ago.

philipgar
11-10-2009, 12:45 AM
It actually depends... If they offer vinyl versions that come with download codes for all the songs on the CD as well as the bonus track, I could see myself going the vinyl route (although I have yet to actually buy myself a turntable, although I'm thinking about it for a few things I have). It also depends on the price. I can't really justify paying more for a vinyl copy that contains less than the CD version. However... I could see myself buying one or two of them on vinyl just to have as collector items.

Phil

JayB
11-10-2009, 04:07 AM
CD + maybe a couple on vinyl, maybe not... who knows.

I think I still have the original Hollywood Town Hall vinyl album I got when it came out, before I got a CD player... I think anyway...

Chaosdan
11-10-2009, 11:44 AM
Vinyl - haven't bought a CD for getting on for 2 years now! If there are bonus tracks not on the records, I'll buy those as individual MP3s. That said, I probably won't buy them all anyway, just maybe HTH and SOL.

Calexico
11-10-2009, 01:46 PM
CD here and wishing I still had my vinyl collection.:rolleyes:

kmweiss
11-10-2009, 05:18 PM
Vinyl - haven't bought a CD for getting on for 2 years now! If there are bonus tracks not on the records, I'll buy those as individual MP3s. That said, I probably won't buy them all anyway, just maybe HTH and SOL.

Do you use an ipod or some type of mp3 player -- if you only buy vinly, how do you load it up? Just curious.

jebstuart
11-10-2009, 07:13 PM
Do you use an ipod or some type of mp3 player -- if you only buy vinly, how do you load it up? Just curious.

All you need is Microsoft Plus and a turntable that plugs in to the sound port in the back of the computer. Works like a charm. It even has the ability to wisk away unwanted pops and cracks. I have a number of old 78 rpm records that are pretty banged up. With the software the tracks are very clean. The King Cole Trio never sounded better! There is no doubt that vinyl is superior. The digital music is compressed. The top and bottom of the sound waves are chopped off to save digital space. You lose a certain "warmth and depth" in the tone. Plus if you store it right, the vinyl will play perfectly 100 years from now. Long after you lost track of where you stored the digital download or cd.

One more thing. Listening to vinyl is an experience. I sit back in my easy chair, sip on cup of hot earl grey, admire the terrific album art I can actually see becuase it is big enough. If you are lucky the lp has some good liner notes that are fun to read. I got such a kick last week out of listening to Wilco A.M. on vinyl for the first time. I love that big radio on the cover and Brian Henneman's notes are fun and enlightning to read. You pay attention to the music more and less distracted. For the old mono records I have, I prefer to fire up my restored 1958 RCA/Victor stereo console. The old tubes really bring out the mono sound. Ray Charles, the Byrds, and Charlie Parker with strings never sounded better.
________
GLASS PIPE PICTURES (http://glasspipes.net/)

JoMama
11-10-2009, 07:49 PM
Vinyl, please.

philipgar
11-10-2009, 08:03 PM
I think PD mentioned a while back they had been delayed. Luckily jayhawks fans are pretty patient (where IS that live cd anyway?)

I'll be buying them on CD

We should start a JFP pool where we guess what week the individual remasters are coming out. It could be like the cow patty game at the state fairs... Of course we could all miss it if we don't make the calendar long enough. I'm sure someone would guess a date in 2015 if they could... Especially if we had a separate one for each reissue... I could just see the guessing for the bunkhouse album now . . . Can I take June 2030?

Phil

girl incognito1
11-10-2009, 09:46 PM
All you need is Microsoft Plus and a turntable that plugs in to the sound port in the back of the computer. Works like a charm. It even has the ability to wisk away unwanted pops and cracks. I have a number of old 78 rpm records that are pretty banged up. With the software the tracks are very clean. The King Cole Trio never sounded better! There is no doubt that vinyl is superior. The digital music is compressed. The top and bottom of the sound waves are chopped off to save digital space. You lose a certain "warmth and depth" in the tone. Plus if you store it right, the vinyl will play perfectly 100 years from now. Long after you lost track of where you stored the digital download or cd.

One more thing. Listening to vinyl is an experience. I sit back in my easy chair, sip on cup of hot earl grey, admire the terrific album art I can actually see becuase it is big enough. If you are lucky the lp has some good liner notes that are fun to read. I got such a kick last week out of listening to Wilco A.M. on vinyl for the first time. I love that big radio on the cover and Brian Henneman's notes are fun and enlightning to read. You pay attention to the music more and less distracted. For the old mono records I have, I prefer to fire up my restored 1958 RCA/Victor stereo console. The old tubes really bring out the mono sound. Ray Charles, the Byrds, and Charlie Parker with strings never sounded better.

That sounds pretty cool!!! Reminds me of times my dad and I were listening to records and just talking about music. Special times!!! Oh, and you have to have the lights out while listening to records!! ;) :cool: :cool: :cool: :D

jebstuart
11-10-2009, 10:00 PM
Or you could just download the MP3s... (you know, since you've already bought the album and all). Anyway, a lot of vinyl comes with a CD or a code to download these days. The last Wilco album I bought had a free CD of the album and the last M. Ward came with a download code. You just went to the specified website, put in your code and voila, the album on digital in addition to the big shiny vinyl record at no extra cost. A lot of bands are doing this. They know people like collecting vinyl but like to use their MP3 players too.

Head to a yardsale and pick up a quality used turntable. You will see what I mean right away. Unplug from the Matrix Neo. All I offer is the truth about true music.
________
_WOW_ cam (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/_WOW_)

philipgar
11-11-2009, 12:41 AM
Head to a yardsale and pick up a quality used turntable. You will see what I mean right away. Unplug from the Matrix Neo. All I offer is the truth about true music.

Actually, i'm thinking of using a used turntable, however, what preamp would you recommend? Most amps (including mine) don't have a built in preamp for LP inputs...

Phil

jebstuart
11-11-2009, 05:56 AM
Actually, i'm thinking of using a used turntable, however, what preamp would you recommend? Most amps (including mine) don't have a built in preamp for LP inputs...

Phil

Talk to the folks at Crutchfield. They are the experts. I needed a pre amp to get the modern cartridge/stylus in the 1958 RCA Victor to play at the correct volume. There was a difference in the voltage between the old tube reciever and the new cartridge. $40 pre amp did the job. Easy to hook up too. There is a place called Record Finders. They have a number of old/quality turntables for sale at a good prices. Ask Gene Pembleton about them. I swear by RecordFinders. They have 15 million records. No kidding.
________
Infant Depakote (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/depakote/)

Chaosdan
11-11-2009, 07:25 AM

I don't only buy vinyl - I do buy a lot of albums as MP3s from eMusic and occasionally iTunes (as well as acquiring stuff in a less legal manner!). If I've bought the record, I'll definitely just download the MP3s from the Pirate Bay or something - no point buying it twice!

kmweiss
11-11-2009, 10:46 AM

Very, very cool....and enlightening!

NY Fan
11-12-2009, 09:30 AM
Everything you need... lots you don't... lots to drool over...

http://www.needledoctor.com/

Truscott
11-17-2009, 01:16 AM
Everything you need... lots you don't... lots to drool over...

http://www.needledoctor.com/Yeah really, when is someone going to buy this for me? http://www.needledoctor.com/Clearaudio-Statement-Turntable?sc=2&category=45

NY Fan
11-17-2009, 09:08 AM
That is too cool. Ridiculous and complete waste of a lot of money, but too cool.

kmweiss
11-17-2009, 10:18 AM
Maybe this was already discussed. Too lazy to look.

Don't think I have ever bought a "reissue" unless I had it on vinyl originally and now want it on cd. However, if reissues come with another cd of new music (not old music newly released) then it would make it interesting for me. More than happy to pay extra for a reissue cd and a cd with new tunes. Otherwise, this isn't really much of an event for me.

jacieb
11-17-2009, 03:56 PM
We should start a JFP pool where we guess what week the individual remasters are coming out. It could be like the cow patty game at the state fairs... Of course we could all miss it if we don't make the calendar long enough. I'm sure someone would guess a date in 2015 if they could... Especially if we had a separate one for each reissue... I could just see the guessing for the bunkhouse album now . . . Can I take June 2030?

Phil

CYNIC!!!! :p

I'm in: April 2010

jacieb
11-17-2009, 03:58 PM
Yeah really, when is someone going to buy this for me? http://www.needledoctor.com/Clearaudio-Statement-Turntable?sc=2&category=45

That needs to stay hidden from the hubby, or it will be on his "Lotto Jackpot Must Buy" list. :)

philipgar
11-17-2009, 04:38 PM
CYNIC!!!! :p

I'm in: April 2010

what about the live album? :D

jacieb
11-17-2009, 05:32 PM
what about the live album? :D

December 2012, just after the Mayan calendar kills us all.

jebstuart
11-17-2009, 08:52 PM
Yeah really, when is someone going to buy this for me? http://www.needledoctor.com/Clearaudio-Statement-Turntable?sc=2&category=45

Doesn't Mr. Spock have one of those on the Enterprise. I swear he uses this to play his "Best of Vulcan Harp Hits" 78 records.
________
Asiansexslave (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/asiansexslave/)

girl incognito1
11-18-2009, 07:42 AM
December 2012, just after the Mayan calendar kills us all.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Well...then whatever or whomever the next type of creature (mutants?!) will be, at least they will have great music to listen to!!!