PDA

View Full Version : Crawdaddy! article...

takemewithyou
08-18-2009, 04:36 PM
First Solo Albums: Gary Louris vs. Jason Lytle

http://crawdaddy.wolfgangsvault.com/Article/First-Solo-Albums-Gary-Louris-vs-Jason-Lytle.html

musicdoc
08-18-2009, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the link. I've never been a Ben Westhoff fan, his review of Sound of Lies for Crawdaddy was more about himself than the album, but I digress, this is an interesting take, though, to compare Gary's relationship to Mark and the Jayhawks to Lytle and his group is quite a stretch. The names are attention grabbers, but really each album and artist should have just been looked at separately instead of trying to combine them.

JoMama
08-18-2009, 08:37 PM
Nice article, a tad skint on crucial details. Methinks he favors the Grandad fella more than the more-talented Louris fella.
I would stack up Gary's songs against that other guy any day. Ok, I'm mistaking personal opinion for fact.
Crawdaddy's better overall than a good many rags though, so I appreciate the nod for sure.

girl incognito1
08-18-2009, 08:38 PM
Interesting article!!! Thanks Sandy for the find...although, not knowing much of Lytle's music I really can't say anything about it...however, I didn't like this quote at all:

Early Jayhawks albums like Blue Earth, on the other hand, are recalled in the acoustic strumming and sentimental storytelling of Vagabonds. Produced by the Black Crowes’ Chris Robinson, it tells the tough tales of alcoholics, drifters, and loners. “She Only Calls Me on Sundays” is about a doomed, boozy affair, while “I Wanna Get High” speaks of a character’s confused, desperate state: “I wanna get high / Don’t wanna get high / I wanna let go / Don’t wanna let go.”

It’s almost as if Louris is talking about his relationship to his former band. Sure, the Jayhawks never lived up to major label expectations (none of their CDs cracked Billboard’s Top 50), but the group was still clearly in his heart when he was making this album.

I mean, come on...only Gary knows what it's truly about and we can speculate about his music until the cows come home. I like to listen to music no matter how ambiguous it may or may not be. And Gary is good at that!!! IMHO!!!!