PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Jayhawks history.

bryguy
07-15-2009, 09:46 PM
After rereading the great liner notes from Sacred Roots, I've got a couple of questions.

1. The liner notes say that after Gary's accident, he was briefly replaced. Does anyone know who it was and how that came about?

2. Does anyone know if Mark O considered rejoining after Gary's accident?

3. Did Olson not want the name Jayhawks used when he left? If not, might that have been one of causes of such a long period when he and Gary didn't have much contact?

4. Has Mark ever indicated that maybe he regreted leaving? The timing, from the Hawks perspective, must have been horrible. They were hitting their stride and getting some notariety. Just wondering.

Sidenote- after reading the interview with Mark O that FactoryGirl linked, Mark said he's open to making a new record. Anyone heard anything similar from Gary? I asked him a few months ago in LA- he didn't jump up and down with a resounding "yes", but he didn't say "no, never" either. Fingers. Crossed.

JoMama
07-15-2009, 09:58 PM
First off, I'm NOT the most qualified to answer, but since you all love intrigue, I'll posit my answers and the "guesses" for things I don't really know...

1. The liner notes say that after Gary's accident, he was briefly replaced. Does anyone know who it was and how that came about?
I don't know, but it was pretty brief, and whom ever played in Gary's place knew he was a fill-in.

I don't think Mark O ever left after Gary's accident. I think they just kept things on the down-low and didn't really do much except record demos and a few gigs with a temp...
You know, it's not really worth it to get all "Enquirer-ish" about these fellas is it? We've seen the nonsense that trolls can start, so why speculate too much?
If you need some history filled in, perhaps you can direct your questions to the board owners or something, so all these guesses don't have to get talked around.

3. Did Olson not want the name Jayhawks used when he left? If not, might that have been one of causes of such a long period when he and Gary didn't have much contact? Ok, from what I know, he was disappointed when plans to change the name were abandoned due to the fact that the others in the band had invested so many years into the name. Despite Mark's being a "founder" it had grown beyond such a simple thing, so, yeah, there was some consternation about all that, and some of Mark not playing Jayhawks-era songs for a few years.
As for this being the cause or non-communications, well, there's an entire set of books to be written on such drama. Of course Mark was disappointed when forces beyond his control took his innocent 'Blue Earth' band from local/Midwestern phenoms to MTV-era greats. All the stuff that made him leave has everything to do with this. But whether it has anything to do with his period of non-communications, well, you're getting into personal relationships there, and that becomes none of anyone's business, and, besides, has little useful value to anyone as well.

4. Has Mark ever indicated that maybe he regreted leaving?
He had recently said he maybe should have taken time off instead of severing all ties.
So what. Do you expect ANYONE to make the "best" decision every single time in their life? Heck no. Bad question IMHO.

bryguy
07-15-2009, 10:03 PM
First off, I'm NOT the most qualified to answer, but since you all love intrigue, I'll posit my answers and the "guesses" for things I don't really know...

I don't know, but it was pretty brief.

I don't thing Mark O ever left after Gary's accident. I think they just kept things on the down-low and didn't really do much except record demos with whomever.
You know, it's not really worth it to get all "Enquirer-ish" about these fellas is it? We've seen the nonsense that trolls can start, so why speculate too much?
If you need some history filled in, perhaps you can direct your questions to the board owners or something, so all these guesses don't have to get talked around.

3. Did Olson not want the name Jayhawks used when he left? If not, might that have been one of causes of such a long period when he and Gary didn't have much contact? Ok, from what I know, he was disappointed when plans to change the name were abandoned due to the fact that the others in the band had invested so many years into the name. Despite Mark's being a "founder" it had grown beyond such a simple thing, so, yeah, there was some consternation about all that, and some of Mark not playing Jayhawks-era songs for a few years.
As for this being the cause or non-communications, well, there's an entire set of books to be written on such drama. Of course Mark was disappointed when forces beyond his control took his innocent 'Blue Earth' band from local/Midwestern phenoms to MTV-era greats. All the stuff that made him leave has everything to do with this. But whether it has anything to do with his period of non-communications, well, you're getting into personal relationships there, and that becomes none of anyone's business, and, besides, has little useful value to anyone as well.

4. Has Mark ever indicated that maybe he regreted leaving?
He had recently said he maybe should have taken time off instead of severing all ties.
So what. Do you expect ANYONE to make the "best" decision every single time in their life? Heck no. Bad question IMHO.

Um. Thanks for the reply and lecture. If you didn't like the questions you didn't have to reply. Innocent questions from a fan. Nothing more, nothing less.

JoMama
07-15-2009, 10:05 PM
Um. Thanks for the reply and lecture. If you didn't like the questions you didn't have to reply. Innocent questions from a fan. Nothing more, nothing less.

Despite my tone, I don't really feel "offended". Sorry if it seemed "lecture-ish". Bry, you're good in my book, I'm just grumpy...:o

bryguy
07-15-2009, 10:07 PM
Despite my tone, I don't really feel "offended". Sorry if it seemed "lecture-ish". Bry, you're good in my book, I'm just grumpy...:o

haha....i just logged back on to say sorry for being so thin-skinned (a great skill of mine). I appreciate your insight and reply. "I LOVE YOU, MAN!" This really is a family here, isn't it? Have a good one!

philipgar
07-16-2009, 12:55 AM
This really is a family here, isn't it? Have a good one!
We really are, you should have seen us all at the BBP. It was a family reunion of sorts, but everyone had two names (board name and real name), and everyone seemed to get along great. it was so wonderful meeting all of you out at the show. It was just such a HUGE gathering of fans it was hard to keep track of everyone.

And from what I know of jomama, he meant no offense with his answers, he just meant to say that none of us really knows, or should know the answer to some of these questions. Besides, the mysterys just make them more fun!

Phil

bryguy
07-16-2009, 01:09 AM
We really are, you should have seen us all at the BBP. It was a family reunion of sorts, but everyone had two names (board name and real name), and everyone seemed to get along great. it was so wonderful meeting all of you out at the show. It was just such a HUGE gathering of fans it was hard to keep track of everyone.

And from what I know of jomama, he meant no offense with his answers, he just meant to say that none of us really knows, or should know the answer to some of these questions. Besides, the mysterys just make them more fun!

Phil

I'm so jealous of all you guys who were able to attend the BBP. Like in any family, you're glad when others have great experiences- so I am so jazzed that you guys had such a chance. Based on what Mark said in the interview FactoryGirl linked, they'll be playing some more festivals next summer. I'm stashing change in my desk drawer- a little start-up fund for the trip. JoMama is a good guy. I'm with ya there.

Chaosdan
07-16-2009, 05:12 AM
I think you're all wankers. Except for Pillow Pants. He's ok.

jacieb
07-16-2009, 05:10 PM
hee hee hee

"wankers"

takemewithyou
07-16-2009, 06:31 PM
After rereading the great liner notes from Sacred Roots, I've got a couple of questions.

I would assume this is a reference to Dan Gaarder who played lead guitar on a few of the tracks on Blue Earth. He's presently in the Mpls band Trailer Trash.

bryguy
07-16-2009, 11:59 PM
I would assume this is a reference to Dan Gaarder who played lead guitar on a few of the tracks on Blue Earth. He's presently in the Mpls band Trailer Trash.

Ah. Thanks Sandy. I think my timeline is off. For some reason I thought Gary's accident happened AFTER Mark left. Seems I was wrong. Thanks!