PDA

View Full Version : Jayhawks on radio The Current 89.3 this week

musicdoc
07-13-2009, 08:30 PM
The Jayhawks
All this week on The Current, we celebrate the career (and recent reunion) of one of the driving forces behind the "alt-country" movement, Minnesota's The Jayhawks. Listen for your chance to win the new Jayhawks anthology, "Music From the North Country." On Friday morning, Steve Seel welcomes the band for an exclusive in-studio performance, and on Sunday at 9 p.m., Bill DeVille hosts a Jayhawks retrospective. And don't forget to check out video from Gary Louris and Mark Olson when they performed in the UBS forum in February.

For those outside of listening distance see link below, I'm definitely going to tune in Sunday night, Bill DeVille is usually pretty good:

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/radio/services/the_current/

mystic_spiral_3
07-13-2009, 08:32 PM
I agree regarding Bill DeVille. I liked his Cities Underground show on Cities 97 and have fond memories of listening to cool music while doing homework and filling out grad school applications. One time I called and requested a song and he played "Smile". That was cool. Then a few months later he wasn't on anymore and neither was the cool show. :(

norma023
07-14-2009, 10:11 AM
On Friday morning, Steve Seel welcomes the band for an exclusive in-studio performance

Hmm, will have to keep checking that NPR/Current link to see what time this will actually happen....!

edit to add: this must have already happened (the actual in-studio), as Gary/Mark are overseas now doing shows
http://www.myspace.com/readyfortheflood

2nd edit:
see the last post in this thread regarding an 89.3 in-studio
http://www.jayhawksfanpage.com/boards/showthread.php?t=12604

girl incognito1
07-14-2009, 07:53 PM
Hmm, will have to keep checking that NPR/Current link to see what time this will actually happen....!

edit to add: this must have already happened (the actual in-studio), as Gary/Mark are overseas now doing shows
http://www.myspace.com/readyfortheflood

2nd edit:
see the last post in this thread regarding an 89.3 in-studio
http://www.jayhawksfanpage.com/boards/showthread.php?t=12604

Wow!!!! They are like the Energizer bunny!!!! They looked fab on Friday and I bet they put their tushys on the plane over the weekend to get themselves back to Europe. ;) :o :) :eek:

musicdoc
07-15-2009, 10:50 AM
Just called The Current to see what time they were going to play the 'in-studio' on Friday morning, according to them, no set time yet, they are going to announce it tomorrow.

ungere
07-16-2009, 08:04 AM
This info was included in a newsletter that I rcvd from The Current yesterday:

The Jayhawks also did a wonderful studio session which will air Friday at 8:30 a.m. and you can listen to our very own Bill DeVille's Jayhawks special on Sunday evening at 9 p.m.

trouble
07-17-2009, 08:26 AM
Jayhawks on The Current in a few minutes apparently
http://minnesota.publicradio.org/radio/services/the_current/

8:30 Friday morning
________
Ford Fg Falcon History (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_FG_Falcon)

norma023
07-17-2009, 08:39 AM
1st song - Red's Song
interivew - mentions of a New York Jayhawks show?
2nd song - Leave No Gold
interview - mentions of the Mystery Demo's, amongst other stuff
3rd song - Two Hearts

in attendance:
Gary Louris
Mark Olson
Karen Grotberg
Marc Perlman
Tim O'Reagan
(only Gary/Mark/Karen spoke though)

musicdoc
07-17-2009, 09:26 AM
At the end of the interview, a couple of interesting tidbits, maybe already known:

Sept: HTH and TTGG reissues with the bonus tracks, Gary initially said 5 tracks with each, then mentioned a 'legacy' edition of TTGG as SR has already mentioned which would be an extra disc (mystery demos).

Next Year: SOL and RDM music reissues with extra tracks. Didn't mention Smile, may have been just a slip up (During the interview he did say there were extra tracks on itunes, I think he got it confused with amazon)

Next year: Extended DVD set that includes 'weird stuff' like German TV etc., then jokingly threw in 'pig roasts etc.'.

Next year: summer festivals

When asked the 'big' question, is there going to be another Jayhawks album, the comment was: 'there's been some talk, kind of talkin right now, basic talk of what we're talkin right now'.

Karen made a couple comments about possibly putting out an EP as she has accumulated some material over the years.....

NewGuy
07-17-2009, 09:36 AM
I tuned into the Current during my commute into work and was able to listen from the interview prior to "Leave No Gold" to the end. Definitely things to look forward to, especially any "value added" material that they include with the reissues.

It is too bad that there isn't any footage from the "Cornstalk" festival in South Dakota that they talked about playing back in the day. That would have been a trip.

ungere
07-17-2009, 09:53 AM
I hope this is archived!

Haggischomper
07-17-2009, 11:30 AM
in attendance:
Gary Louris
Mark Olson
Karen Grotberg
Marc Perlman
Tim O'Reagan
(only Gary/Mark/Karen spoke though)

LOL. What is it with rhythmn sections? They always seem to be the dark, deep and mysterious ones! They are a breed apart, a little off kilter - like goalies in fitba' and hockey, or catchers in baseball.

NewGuy
07-17-2009, 12:43 PM
Looks like I might be the first to post this. It is available on their website now. Enjoy.

Pillow Pants
07-17-2009, 02:11 PM
Incredible. I haven't heard the Jayhawks sound this good since those 94/95 classic bootlegs (Slims, etc).

This version of Leave No Gold.....wow.

girl incognito1
07-17-2009, 02:38 PM
When was this recorded???!!!! :confused: :confused: Last Friday???

Pillow Pants
07-17-2009, 02:52 PM
It makes sense that they aren't playing songs like "Trouble" or "Big Star" when "Red's Song" and "Leave No Gold" are basically the same songs, only superior in lyrical content and arrangements.

philipgar
07-17-2009, 03:30 PM
This reminds me... where was the song Leave No Gold from. I hadn't heard it before the BBP, but people treated it like it was a known song....

Phil

jacieb
07-17-2009, 04:45 PM
Karen made a couple comments about possibly putting out an EP as she has accumulated some material over the years.....

HAPPY DANCE being done here!:D :D :D

Jedey
07-17-2009, 05:01 PM
Next year: Extended DVD set that includes 'weird stuff' like German TV etc., then jokingly threw in 'pig roasts etc.'.

There used to be a video on youtube of The Jayhawks playing a backyard party, that may be the pig roast.

JoMama
07-17-2009, 05:13 PM
"Leave No Gold" was the last song on Hollywood Town Hall very briefly in Europe, and relegated to b-side status in The States. It's a terrific number, no two ways about it.

sacred roots
07-17-2009, 05:14 PM
It makes sense that they aren't playing songs like "Trouble" or "Big Star" when "Red's Song" and "Leave No Gold" are basically the same songs, only superior in lyrical content and arrangements.

Uh, here we go again. No, they're not "basically" the same; not even close. A few years ago somebody posted the tablatures for "Trouble" and "Red's Song" which proved they weren't musically the "same," yet - surprise - you keep beating the same old dead horse.

Please come up with some new material. Thanks.

sacred roots
07-17-2009, 05:17 PM

And, of course, the fact that they're not playing the post-Olson material has nothing to do with the relative quality of the material. But you already knew that, didn't you?

JoMama
07-17-2009, 05:19 PM
HAPPY DANCE being done here!:D :D :D

Yeah, same thing here! Look at how killer the other "solo" stuff is, with just about everybody dropping by for each others' stuff. This is exciting! :D :D

jacieb
07-17-2009, 05:25 PM
I know Karen sings on Tim's Album but there aren't credits per song. Were there other female voices on that record?

Jedey
07-17-2009, 05:39 PM
There used to be a video on youtube of The Jayhawks playing a backyard party, that may be the pig roast.I found the Pig Roast Thread. http://www.jayhawksfanpage.com/boards/showthread.php?t=9032&highlight=jayhawks+pig+roast

LiladyK
07-17-2009, 06:29 PM
"Leave No Gold" was the last song on Hollywood Town Hall very briefly in Europe, and relegated to b-side status in The States. It's a terrific number, no two ways about it.

I have it on the Euro "Scrapple" - 3 song C.D. - it has "Leave No Gold", "Keith and Quentin" and "Up Above My Head"

ungere
07-17-2009, 07:58 PM
Here's the link for the Current performance in case it wasn't posted:

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2009/07/17/the_jayhawks/

JoMama
07-17-2009, 08:00 PM
I have it on the Euro "Scrapple" - 3 song C.D. - it has "Leave No Gold", "Keith and Quentin" and "Up Above My Head"

I have both: The Euro "Hollywood Town Hall" CD with it as the last track. Later pressings omitted it.
"Scrapple" was a promo-only EP in the States, far as I know. Mine has "Made In U.S.A." on it and a promo number, not a regular barcode.

"Take Me With You" was the single that "Scrapple" was promoting, and is the lead-off track. Perhaps it was also released officially in Europe as an EP.

Haggischomper
07-17-2009, 09:16 PM
"Leave No Gold" was the last song on Hollywood Town Hall very briefly in Europe

But oddly not on my version :mad: I didn't hear Leave No Gold until within the past year or so thanks to nefarious partly-Australian means.

Haggischomper
07-17-2009, 09:17 PM
Perhaps it was also released officially in Europe as an EP.

Not to my knowledge - admittedly minimal.

norma023
07-17-2009, 11:01 PM
looks like a "non streamed" version of this is up on Dime

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=258120

Calexico
07-18-2009, 04:32 AM
I didn't hear Leave No Gold until within the past year or so thanks to nefarious partly-Australian means.

Seriously? Jeez, if I had known that I would have fixed you up brother. The clog dude gave me that ages ago.

J.P.
07-18-2009, 05:24 AM
Brilliant performance....Karen adds soooooo much :D

J.P.:)

altmin
07-18-2009, 11:23 AM
I emailed a friend about this link, and this was his reply

"My friends went to their reunion show in Minn last weekend. Afterwards they saw Tim O'reagan outside and asked if there was more where that came from.

He replied "Oh yeah, man. We're just getting started." "

Pillow Pants
07-18-2009, 03:21 PM
One of the thigns I liked about the Basilica recording an this is that everyone is singing where need be.

This whole reunion thing has made me realize that the Jayhawks are so much better live with the full scale band. Sure, the stripped down acoustic and small band things since the Smile tour and with Olson were nice, but they were not on this level.

jacieb
07-18-2009, 04:57 PM
I emailed a friend about this link, and this was his reply

"My friends went to their reunion show in Minn last weekend. Afterwards they saw Tim O'reagan outside and asked if there was more where that came from.

He replied "Oh yeah, man. We're just getting started." "

:D:D:D:D

MORE happy dancin'!!!

lukpac
07-18-2009, 05:16 PM
Next Year: SOL and RDM music reissues with extra tracks. Didn't mention Smile, may have been just a slip up (During the interview he did say there were extra tracks on itunes, I think he got it confused with amazon)

"...follow through with next year Sound of Lies and Smile and Rainy Day Music..."

I have both: The Euro "Hollywood Town Hall" CD with it as the last track. Later pressings omitted it.
"Scrapple" was a promo-only EP in the States, far as I know. Mine has "Made In U.S.A." on it and a promo number, not a regular barcode.

"Take Me With You" was the single that "Scrapple" was promoting, and is the lead-off track. Perhaps it was also released officially in Europe as an EP.

According to the discography, Leave No Gold was also on the European bonus disc for Tomorrow the Green Grass. I don't have that one though.

Haggischomper
07-18-2009, 08:14 PM
Karen adds soooooo much :D

J.P.:)

BANG! Hammer strikes nail upon head.

JoMama
07-18-2009, 09:45 PM
According to the discography, Leave No Gold was also on the European bonus disc for Tomorrow the Green Grass. I don't have that one though.
Indeed, this is the case.
To further clarify the whereabouts of "Leave No Gold", see the discography information of this here website:
***The European version of Tomorrow The Green Grass (American Recordings / 74321 31406 2 / Made in EC / 1995) includes a bonus disc which includes the following songs:
1. I'd Run Away (session for Dutch TV) 2. Blue (session for Dutch TV) [***aka "The 2 Meter Sessions"]
3. Last Cigarette 4. Break My Mind 5. Tomorrow The Green Grass 6. Darling Today 7. Up Above Your Head 8. Keith & Quentin 9. Leave No Gold

The liner notes also inform of the following: [Keep in mind, this is European release information]:
"Last Cigarette" and "Break My Mind" are from the "Bad Time" single
"Tomorrow The Green Grass" and "Darling Today" from the "Blue" single
"Up Above My Head" and "Keith & Quentin" are from the "Waiting For The Sun" single
"Leave No Gold" from the 'Hollywood Town Hall' CD

lukpac
07-18-2009, 09:54 PM
Indeed, this is the case.
To further clarify the whereabouts of "Leave No Gold", see the discography information of this here website:
***The European version of Tomorrow The Green Grass (American Recordings / 74321 31406 2 / Made in EC / 1995) includes a bonus disc which includes the following songs:
1. I'd Run Away (session for Dutch TV) 2. Blue (session for Dutch TV) [***aka "The 2 Meter Sessions"]
3. Last Cigarette 4. Break My Mind 5. Tomorrow The Green Grass 6. Darling Today 7. Up Above Your Head 8. Keith & Quentin 9. Leave No Gold

The liner notes also inform of the following: [Keep in mind, this is European release information]:
"Last Cigarette" and "Break My Mind" are from the "Bad Time" single
"Tomorrow The Green Grass" and "Darling Today" from the "Blue" single
"Up Above My Head" and "Keith & Quentin" are from the "Waiting For The Sun" single
"Leave No Gold" from the 'Hollywood Town Hall' CD

Indeed. *Not* on that CD are:

Reason to Believe
Sister Cry
Ain't No End
Martin's Song
Settled Down Like Rain (live @ Cabaret Metro; Settled Down Like Rain press kit CD)

Get The Load Out
Sing Me Back Home (second Bad Time single; also has Last Cigarette)

Bad Time (acoustic; I'd Run Away promo)

FWIW, the two Two Meter songs were released on the I'd Run Away single.

JoMama
07-18-2009, 10:01 PM
Indeed. *Not* on that CD are:

Reason to Believe
Sister Cry
Ain't No End
Martin's Song
Settled Down Like Rain (live @ Cabaret Metro; Settled Down Like Rain press kit CD)

Get The Load Out
Sing Me Back Home (second Bad Time single; also has Last Cigarette)

Bad Time (acoustic; I'd Run Away promo)

FWIW, the two Two Meter songs were released on the I'd Run Away single.

Thanks Luk. I was reading my info off the 2-CD Euro edition of TTGG, but I'm certainly not complete here, though I do also have that "Settled..." press kit box.
I also have a Two Meter Sessions set that's in PAL and I haven't been able to translate it to Region 1 because I'm too cheap to buy the conversion software (haven't looked much for a free-ware version).

altmin
07-19-2009, 03:34 AM
"Keave No Gold" has been a slippery one. I have just about every other official/semi-official recording (i.e. not bootleg concert stuff) with the exception of that and "Who Made You King"

not sure why they have been so difficult.

brotherzilge
07-20-2009, 01:08 PM
Did anyone catch this last night at 9:00 p.m. on the current? I caught the first 10 minutes (I was heading into First Ave to see the Old 97's). What I heard was great, comments from the band, Tweedy, and other musicians on The Jayhawks musical influence. I just hope that 89.3 streams it on their website.

Calexico
07-20-2009, 01:18 PM
Did anyone catch this last night at 9:00 p.m. on the current? I caught the first 10 minutes (I was heading into First Ave to see the Old 97's). What I heard was great, comments from the band, Tweedy, and other musicians on The Jayhawks musical influence. I just hope that 89.3 streams it on their website.

Isn't this the 4 part podcast thing on the Legacy website?

brotherzilge
07-20-2009, 02:04 PM
Isn't this the 4 part podcast thing on the Legacy website?

:o I guess so, I didn't realize this was the same Bill Deville narrated stuff.