PDA

View Full Version : Minstrels, Poets...Prophets

JumboFun
07-06-2009, 01:05 AM
Ok, prophet might be pushing it a bit, but, we do call them "guitar Gods" on occasion, Gary and Mark I mean, so I'll let it stand.

What I mean is, beside the poet and minstrel stuff, which is pretty damn obvious. Do you ever have the experience where you put on a Jayhawk tune...any Jayhawk or Gary or Mark tune...and it instantly becomes meaningful, for example;

Last week, just as I was dropping my son off at his buddies house a big and sudden storm blew in. I hung out at the little friends house while the storm raged outside but what I really wanted to do was go for a bike ride along the Savannah River. You see, this kid lives a good piece away, and, lucky for him, near this great bike path. I like to take the opportunity and ride it when I get a chance so I was bummed by the big storm.

When I left for home it was getting late but the storm had passed and the sky was streaked pink. I decided to check out the path.

I was really excited. The air was electric and fresh from the rain, and I was going to get my ride in. I parked my car, unloaded my bike and smoked a nice pipeful.

I got to the head of the trail and stopped dead. Trouble. Damn trouble. The storm had brought down many trees and the path was littered with debris...and it was dark, really dark. Fuck me. What was I thinking!

I turned my mp3 player on while I stood astride my bike and pondered what to do. And what do you think came on? "Bicycle" of course.

"It's Hard To Ride At Night
On Your Bicycle, With No Lights To Guide
Just Take A Chance And Ride
On Your Bicycle, With No Lights To Guide."

I didn't have to be told twice. I was off. Man was it exciting! I was zigg-zagging and moving fast. I had to stop three times and move trees off the trail, as well as duck under a few but man was it a trip.

I rode to a clearing at a stop point on the path, and there, right in front of me, was the most beautiful rainbow!!! I was so happy, I couldn't believe my eyes. I wanted to show someone but there was no one there.

This is the sort of thing I mean.
It's not the first time Mark or Gary's music has fit so neatly into meaning for me. It happens a lot. In different ways. Does this happen to you?

Precious Time
07-06-2009, 01:24 AM
Well, i'm reading your post and preparing to reply to it, rereading it and then noticing your signature and what's on the iPod at work?

You guessed it: Someone Will

Beautiful post, it could be a Jayhawks song as it is with all those weather references, darkness and rainbows. Thanks for sharing.

My moment of jayhawks enlightment came during the third live show by the Jayhawks in september 2003 in Amsterdam. The show the day before was not that good but this one....the boys were really into it. Johnny Cash died a few days before and Gary dedicated the show to him and they just played their hearts out. It just gave me the shivers almost the whole show. I am a believer ever since :)

After RFTF came out, I cannot listen to 'Saturday Morning on Sunday Street' without feeling a lump in my throat just because of the line 'A new start and a new place to live' for obvious reasons. Is that the kind of thing you mean?

jacieb
07-06-2009, 01:49 AM
Yeppers. Not really random, but...

A month after seeing MO and GL in concert, I found out I was preggers. We were so excited. A day after confirming the pregnancy, however, I started to bleed while at work. Crap! I had already lost a pregnancy, and didn't want to go through that again.

I jumped in the car, driving to the ER, and started to freak. Tears were dripping from my jaw. I needed to calm down if I wanted to get to the ER in one piece. I turned on the MP3 and SIFARD came on (I'd been all over the Jayhawks since the concert). I calmed down, I focused, and I sang along with all my heart.

In the ER, they rushed me to get an ultrasound, and I saw a heartbeat. Ahhhh...

I had more scary moments with that pregnancy, and that song became my go-to song.

Fast forward 3 years. I now have a beautiful 2 year old daughter. She's smart, tempramental, and she's my heart. We were driving out to the wild animal park, and she starts to cry. She was so sad because of some devastating toddler crisis. In a panic, I popped on the MP3 as a distraction, and SIFARD came on. Man, you should have seen her face...transform. She was calm, she was attentive, and slowly, a tiny, knowing smile came across her face. At the end of the song, she said "Sorry, mama. I'm okay". My little baby was a little girl.

That song will be special to me (and probably her) forever.

:)

bryguy
07-06-2009, 02:03 AM
cool post. music- hard to imagine life without it.

Truscott
07-06-2009, 10:52 AM
This whole thread kicks ass. :cool:

Calexico
07-06-2009, 01:23 PM
This whole thread kicks ass. :cool:

It sure does, great stories people!

Haggischomper
07-06-2009, 01:27 PM
You have no idea how many times I have stood in the pishing rain in Scotland as "Waiting For The Sun" mocked me from my headphones....

greekguy
07-06-2009, 03:44 PM
I went to a hockey game and they played "I want to drive a Zamboni" in between periods.

I was like, "no way!" I mean, how many times does one ever get to see a Zamboni, and the time I do...that song comes on.

This guy, bee-lown a-way!

Angelyne
07-06-2009, 03:46 PM
Great story JF! I love it when all the stars align to bring beauty, art and philosophy in line with the cosmos.

musicdoc
07-06-2009, 04:10 PM
"I went to a hockey game and they played "I want to drive a Zamboni" in between periods." - Greek Guy

I'm not familiar with that one, is that from the mystery demos?

greekguy
07-06-2009, 04:19 PM
"I went to a hockey game and they played "I want to drive a Zamboni" in between periods." - Greek Guy

I'm not familiar with that one, is that from the mystery demos?

It is from The Gear Daddies, and my post was an attempt at sophomoric humor (just like all of my attempts at humor) as it is obviously not prophetic to hear that song at a hockey game.

It is Jayhawk related as the lead singer of The Gear Daddies, Martin Zellar was an original member of the band "Take it To the Limit" which naturally evolved into the band you know now as Golden Smog. I presume you know the link between Golden Smog and Jayhawks, so I won't digress further.

I am glad I had the chance to clarify.

jacieb
07-06-2009, 05:05 PM
Yeah, because the funniest jokes are the ones you have to explain....

girl incognito1
07-06-2009, 08:36 PM
Beautiful thread!!!! So many stories, so many dreams I've had with the Jayhawks, Gary and Mark and the solo stuff. I know there are times when I need to listen to Gary's voice...soooo soothing. Usually, when I'm at my most plaintive or sad. I know the music has helped recently with all that's happened with my life, when I thought all hope was lost and I needed to be their for my daughter. It's like a bunch of friends coming together in my living room, breaking out their instruments and playing me a song...well, all of us songs that mean a lot to us. :cool: :cool: :cool:

musicdoc
07-06-2009, 09:51 PM
"Yeah, because the funniest jokes are the ones you have to explain...."-jacieb

simply awesome :)

bryguy
07-07-2009, 11:19 AM
I went to a hockey game and they played "I want to drive a Zamboni" in between periods.

I was like, "no way!" I mean, how many times does one ever get to see a Zamboni, and the time I do...that song comes on.

This guy, bee-lown a-way!

Dude, that avatar is going to give me nightmares. Thanks.

Calexico
07-07-2009, 01:18 PM

You DO realise that you were talking about greekguy?

greekguy
07-07-2009, 01:22 PM
Dude, that avatar is going to give me nightmares. Thanks.

I have more of them in my crazy clown arsenal. Stay tuned.

greekguy
07-07-2009, 01:23 PM

Was that a joke? Or are you saying that I have the funniest jokes?