PDA

View Full Version : Late reflections on GL and MO in Gävle, Sweden 5th May 2009

likeasong
06-17-2009, 05:25 AM
Well, since nobody else seem to have reported on the 5th May gig in Gävle, Sweden, I felt I might give it a try. Although I do feel totally inadequate to do this, since I haven’t been a Jayhawks fan for more than a few years, and I know very little about them except for the major label era music (although I intend to find out!). Oh, and I did get Ready for the Flood in December last year when Mark and Gary played an instore gig at a record store in Stockholm, Sweden, and loved it. Unfortunately I couldn’t go to the real concert that evening since it took place in a club with an age limit that I didn’t fulfill. So when I realized they were coming back in May, and that in addition they would play the town where I was born and grew up, I knew I had to be there. Never in a million years could I have dreamt that I would be coming back ten years later for a concert as special to me as this.

The venue for the concert was a former cinema theatre, with a seated audience. It wasn’t full, but I’d estimate the number of people there to about a hundred, maybe less. This despite the fact that the show was billed in the biggest local newspaper that same day as probably being the greatest international musical visitors in town this year. A Swedish singer I wasn’t really aware of before called Lars Bygdén opened.

So, now to the show. As I said, I have no idea what’s usual and unusual at these gigs, so I’m just going to give you my take on it and then you can draw your own conclusions from the setlist etc. Overall, I think the show was absolutely amazing. The sound was really great except for some minor feedback going on (“There is something sour going on in guitar land” was Mark’s comment), and I was in the first row so I really felt part of the action. The harmonies were stunning, the guitar playing really cool and fun to listen to, and Ingunn added great percussion and backing vocals. I really enjoyed Mark playing dulcimer on Walking Through Nevada and Take Me With You. Angelyne was really fun and was played as the third song that night. The instrumental section of When The Wind Comes Up was really great and I sat spellbound wanting it to go on forever. Saturday Morning was really nice, I was glad they started with a great Pray For Me, I made an acquaintance with December’s Child which I really like… I could go on like this for some time, but I guess you guys would know what I’m talking about.
The setlist was

Pray For Me
Nothing Left To Borrow
Angelyne
Bloody Hands
Red’s Song
Turn Your Pretty Name Around
See Him On The Street
Saturday Morning On Sunday Street
Chamberlain, SD
December’s Child
Walking Through Nevada
Take Me With You (When You Go)
Doves and Stones
Waiting For The Sun
When The Wind Comes Up
Black Eyes
Settled Down Like Rain

Precious Time
Blue

Crowded In The Wings

As you can see, we got two different encores. After Blue the audience clapped for three minutes, and finally Mark came back onstage with a half-eaten sandwich in his hand, to a big cheer, and Gary came just a few seconds behind, exclaiming: “I was halfway to the hotel!” Mark finished his sandwich, and they played Crowded in the Wings (introduced as “a long song”), and then they headed out to the front room to sign CDs and whatever stuff people had brought.

The talk in between the songs was fun. They spoke about Ingunn, the remainder of the tour, what they’d eat after the show, the new record (“Ready for the Flu”), and spoke about Simon and Garfunkel before Chamberlain. One of the highlights was Mark commenting on stealing the mikes since they were so good, after which Gary asked the sound personnel to turn his mike down just a bit since they were almost too good. Mark leaned forward, smiled mischievously, and asked them to turn his mike up.

All in all, it was a great evening, and I did get to speak with them afterwards. They were really, really nice, so it was a great way to round off an already memorable night. I have left what I’ve written about it, one nice photo (all but one that I took are blurry) and a good video of Black Eyes to help me remember everything. I hope you all have or have had equally nice concerts on this tour!

JoMama
06-17-2009, 06:04 AM
Thank you for the wonderful review!
It certainly brings back the memories of their swing through these parts.
[Unfortunately, so does Junior Brown's "Highway Patrol" :rolleyes: ]

illbecominhome
06-17-2009, 09:51 AM
Awesome review! Thanks for sharing!!!

bryguy
06-17-2009, 12:09 PM
That was great to read. Sounds like an amazing evening! Wish I were there.

sybilskelton
06-17-2009, 12:32 PM
Sounds like you had a great night! Is there any chance you can put your video up on Youtube? Black Eyes is probably my favorite song from the new record, and I'd love to see them performing it live in Sweden.

Sybil

Calexico
06-17-2009, 01:32 PM
Very nice review and welcome to the board.:)

girl incognito1
06-17-2009, 08:04 PM
Nice review and lovely way to introduce yourself to the board!!!! Isn't it magic to see Gary and Mark perform. They really give themselves to the audience whenever I see them perform. I swear, they are two of the best musicians out there right now. :cool: :cool: :cool:

mystic_spiral_3
06-17-2009, 08:35 PM
Hi...sounds like a good show. Welcome to the board.

LiladyK
06-17-2009, 09:37 PM
Thank you so much.....and welcome! I enjoyed the reading of your review, I could almost put myself right there that night, I was picturing it all so nicely in my head :)

Angelyne
06-18-2009, 11:43 AM
Thank you so much.....and welcome! I enjoyed the reading of your review, I could almost put myself right there that night, I was picturing it all so nicely in my head :)

+1! Thanks and Welcome! :cool:

likeasong
06-18-2009, 04:54 PM
Hi everyone, and thanks for the enthusiastic replies and welcoming!

Sounds like you had a great night! Is there any chance you can put your video up on Youtube? Black Eyes is probably my favorite song from the new record, and I'd love to see them performing it live in Sweden.

Sybil

Oh, maybe. I’ll try. I have no idea how to do it, but I might get my brother to help me. Give me a couple of days and I’ll see what I can do. It was shot with a digital camera, and the quality is decent, but not pro in any way. Still, since the performance is so great, I believe it’s worth sharing!