PDA

View Full Version : Blue Earth

Chaosdan
06-17-2009, 02:32 AM
Am I mad to think this might be my favourite Olson-era album? It's certainly better than TTGG, and every bit as good as HTH. Maybe I've not listened to it as much so it sounds a bit fresher than those other two...

JayB
06-17-2009, 06:01 AM
Unless you're declaring your undying love for Phil Collins' excuse for music... you can't really be mad for declaring your opinion.

I prefer HTH but who knows... we could both be right!

JoMama
06-17-2009, 06:03 AM
Am I mad to think this might be my favourite Olson-era album? It's certainly better than TTGG, and every bit as good as HTH. Maybe I've not listened to it as much so it sounds a bit fresher than those other two...

Well, that would make two of us "mad" folks. It's by far and away my favorite of the entire catalog. :)

nevadacalifornia
06-17-2009, 06:56 AM
I also like it better than TTGG. I got my first copy of it after HTH and TTGG were already out. Didn't like it at first , but in time it really grew on me.

Truscott
06-17-2009, 08:10 AM
Make that four of us then. :) BE rocks for me too.

"Oh Lord, there ain't no end" - the way they sing that line slays me.

Chaosdan
06-17-2009, 08:16 AM
Even though the drums are a bit too echoey, I love the sound of this one - I appreciate what George Drakoulias brought to the band, but I do prefer the more stripped-down, less 'arranged' production of Blue Earth.

Haggischomper
06-17-2009, 08:52 AM
It's my 3rd fave of the Olson-era albums - and that is in no way meant to disparage it.

nutshell
06-17-2009, 10:32 AM
Didn't like it at first , but in time it really grew on me.

+1 I don't know what it was about it, but I really did not like BE at first, and now, I often reach for this one more than the others. I never tire of it, especially in the car. Plus, it has one of my all time favorites, "Sioux City"!

I'm always hoping to hear that song played live....

TominMaine
06-17-2009, 10:56 AM
My fave, too.

It's very consistent, sound-wise (no strings, etc.), and the songs are very rich, very emotional, from the heart. "Dead End Angel" is the only one that stands out as a bit of a sore thumb with its rockabilly sound (Gary's throwback, right?).

bryguy
06-17-2009, 11:33 AM
I went to a demolition derby at the county fair in Blue Earth a few years ago. Fun stuff. Good album too!

jacieb
06-17-2009, 12:29 PM
My fave, too.

It's very consistent, sound-wise (no strings, etc.), and the songs are very rich, very emotional, from the heart. "Dead End Angel" is the only one that stands out as a bit of a sore thumb with its rockabilly sound (Gary's throwback, right?).

Dead End Angel is the most played track from that record on my MP3. I think BE is a great little record, and I prefer it over HTH.

Calexico
06-17-2009, 01:27 PM
Yeah I love this album a whole lot too. It has that kind of rustic feel to it, knocked together in an abandoned diner over the course of a couple of cold nights while holding down boring ass day jobs and dreaming of bigger stages.

dflyer
06-17-2009, 01:31 PM
I can't say that Blue Earth is my favorite.
But I do love it.
It's a great record!

wheelhousetunes
06-17-2009, 02:39 PM

There are times I feel this way. Usually when I listen to it. Then I change my mind when I put on HTH. And again after listening to TTGG...:D

jacieb
06-17-2009, 02:48 PM
There are times I feel this way. Usually when I listen to it. Then I change my mind when I put on HTH. And again after listening to TTGG...:D

Exactly. As a general rule, my favorite Jayhawks record is the one that's currently playing. :)

Precious Time
06-17-2009, 06:06 PM
I never listen to BE back to back, but favorites are Dead End Angel, Sioux City and The Baltimore Sun. Like the clean up Two Angels version on HTH better...sometimes BE is a bit to 'organic' :eek: :D for my taste.

on the beach 3
06-17-2009, 07:01 PM
Hey, you like what you like. I dont think it is as good as HTH or TTGG but I do like it quite a lot..........

Peace and Boat Drinks.........:)

JoMama
06-17-2009, 07:39 PM
Exactly. As a general rule, my favorite Jayhawks record is the one that's currently playing. :)

+1 ten minutes ago it was sunny and warm, now it's pouring outside, but "I hope to find you this morning talking to the trees..." drowns out the rattling gutters of a Midwestern thunderstorm...

girl incognito1
06-17-2009, 08:15 PM
I really love this cd too Dan!!!!! It's almost like a an unplugged Jayhawks, but with their guitars plugged in. :cool: :cool: :D ;) I agree with Jacki and Lenno...I really love DEA!!!! Gary's voice really shines...and one of my all time fave Jayhawk tunes is Baltimore Sun...I guess it reminds me of my journalism studies and career a few years back. Gary is singing about the paper right??!!!! :p :o :eek:

jebstuart
06-17-2009, 08:35 PM
The boys built a bridge to greater things with Blue Earth. I listen to it all of the time. 5 Cups of Coffee is just terrific. 2 Minute Pop Song is underrated and a real dandy.
________
Glass Bubblers (http://bubblers.net/)

LiladyK
06-17-2009, 09:45 PM

If you're mad, then I must be exceedingly mad....it's my favorite Olson era one too!:D

It's not as polished....not to sound like PP, I don't mean that in a bad sort of way....just different ya know. I love the others as well. Blue Earth is special though because it has more of a Flying Burrito Brothers style to it than the other Olson era ones do. The Bunkhouse album in addition, sounds very influenced by Gram's other band "International Submarine Band". We played those two back to back on vacation....same type of guitar style riffs and such in a few places.

I think Mark sounds the most like Gram on both the Bunkhouse and Blue Earth.....

girl incognito1
06-17-2009, 09:57 PM
If you're mad, then I must be exceedingly mad....it's my favorite Olson era one too!:D

It's not as polished....not to sound like PP, I don't mean that in a bad sort of way....just different ya know. I love the others as well. Blue Earth is special though because it has more of a Flying Burrito Brothers style to it than the other Olson era ones do. The Bunkhouse album in addition, sounds very influenced by Gram's other band "International Submarine Band". We played those two back to back on vacation....same type of guitar style riffs and such in a few places.

I think Mark sounds the most like Gram on both the Bunkhouse and Blue Earth.....

Oooooohhhh....good call Kim!!!!! Stripped down goodness with a hint of Gram!!!! I concur!!!! :cool: :cool: :cool: I loooovvvveeeee Christine's Tune...(not because that's my name...but...that's a really good song to introduce people to the FBB!!!! And Gram and Chris should of spelled Christine with a "K");) :p Not that I'm saying I'm the Devil in disguise!!!!! :eek:

Chaosdan
06-18-2009, 01:59 AM

That's so funny you say that - I had my iPod on shuffle yesterday afternoon and I song I didn't recognise came on. I was sure it was Olson singing but I couldn't work out what it was - I knew it couldn't be a Mystery Demo tune because it sounded too well produced. I looked at my iPod and it was the International Submarine Band!

LiladyK
06-18-2009, 05:12 AM
That's so funny you say that - I had my iPod on shuffle yesterday afternoon and I song I didn't recognise came on. I was sure it was Olson singing but I couldn't work out what it was - I knew it couldn't be a Mystery Demo tune because it sounded too well produced. I looked at my iPod and it was the International Submarine Band!

Ha ha! Cool.....yeah, I also have some live bit somewhere of one point where Gram is talking to the audience in between songs, and the resemblance to Mark's speaking voice in that sound bite is incredibly eerie. He didn't always speak and sing that similar to Mark's voice...but at times you almost can't tell the difference it seems.

Also, Kristi....speaking of...."K" ;) ristine's tune was playing in the house the other day while we were doing household chores and one of my sons walked into that room and said something about "sounds like mom's playing her Jayhawks music again". I had to show him that it wasn't. He mistook FBB for my early Jayhawks stuff.....too funny.

JoMama
06-18-2009, 06:23 AM

And on that "in between album" we've heard about...:rolleyes:

"Leave No Gold" popped into my head the other day, and I wasn't even listening to my European HTH with it on there.
So, I gave it a spin and sheesh, the thing just won't go away. Not complaining though.

girl incognito1
06-18-2009, 08:00 PM
Ha ha! Cool.....yeah, I also have some live bit somewhere of one point where Gram is talking to the audience in between songs, and the resemblance to Mark's speaking voice in that sound bite is incredibly eerie. He didn't always speak and sing that similar to Mark's voice...but at times you almost can't tell the difference it seems.

Also, Kristi....speaking of...."K" ;) ristine's tune was playing in the house the other day while we were doing household chores and one of my sons walked into that room and said something about "sounds like mom's playing her Jayhawks music again". I had to show him that it wasn't. He mistook FBB for my early Jayhawks stuff.....too funny.

LOL!!!!!! I never heard Gram speak...but he was sure a cutie. It's just so sad he died sooo young. :( :( :(

Ordinarygirl
06-19-2009, 04:42 PM
We played Blue Earth last weekend while on a road trip. Hadn't heard it in a long while.
When Two Angels came on, my husband said "I think this is my favorite song on this cd."
When Commonplace Streets came on he said "This is a really underrated song. Its fantastic."
For Dead End Angel: "This is my favorite song."
Baltimore Sun: "God,I love this song!"
Sioux city: "This is my favorite song."

And so on.
I just let him ramble. :)

JoMama
06-19-2009, 04:44 PM
I dunno, I just love that post along with your new avatar: Good form! :)

jacieb
06-19-2009, 05:07 PM
We played Blue Earth last weekend while on a road trip. Hadn't heard it in a long while.
When Two Angels came on, my husband said "I think this is my favorite song on this cd."
When Commonplace Streets came on he said "This is a really underrated song. Its fantastic."
For Dead End Angel: "This is my favorite song."
Baltimore Sun: "God,I love this song!"
Sioux city: "This is my favorite song."

And so on.
I just let him ramble. :)

I'm literally laughing out loud after reading that. I think I've had the same exact "ramble". :) ;)

girl incognito1
06-19-2009, 08:09 PM

LOL!!!!!!! That's really cute Kim. :cool: :D ;) I really like the name Kristine. I didn't so much growing up, but it really grew on me...heck, I can say that the name has songs and a book (by Stephen King) written about things and people with that cool name!!! LOL!!! {Kidding!!!!} And the Rick Nelson connection...my mom named me after his wife Kris. Although, the name is Greek in origin, so at least I have something in common with Gary and Greek Guy!!! ;) :D :cool:

JayB
06-20-2009, 05:30 AM
That's it! I'm digging this one back out today and I'm giving it a spin...

girl incognito1
06-20-2009, 08:01 PM
That's it! I'm digging this one back out today and I'm giving it a spin...

To Quote Nike...just do it!!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

LanceManion1973
06-21-2009, 10:57 AM
I think Blue Earth is just as good as HTH or TTGG. Baltimore Sun is one of my all time favorite Jayhawk songs. I've read reviews where they call Blue Earth a bunch of incomplete demos with a few finished songs or something like that. I'm sorry but I don't hear that. Even if it is a collection of demos, their demos sound as good as some bands completed songs.

LiladyK
06-24-2009, 03:52 AM
Whoa, really? Incomplete demos? No f-ing way! Are these people deaf, or? I'm not getting it, that baffles me beyond belief. Whatevah. Must be the American Idol crowd of critics.

Let 'em talk their tomahawk talk.
Burn a tattoo on your chest.
Everything is "so perfect"
Everything real "high class"

Let the critics wonder.
Let the critics talk.
Don't the critics know what it's all about???????

LanceManion1973
06-25-2009, 03:09 PM
Review by Jason Ankeny

The songs which make up Blue Earth originated as demos, and save for some minor studio tinkering, are presented here in their original embryonic state. As a consequence, the record lacks punch; spare and economical, the songs are simply too primitive to come to life in this setting. Nonetheless, the growth of the band's songwriting skills over their debut is substantial; while many of the themes -- drifting, drinking, and lost love -- remain the same, they're handled with greater insight and clarity than before, with a keen eye for detail and nuance.

jacieb
06-25-2009, 03:26 PM
I don't remember that review specifically, but I remember hearing that. I was excited to download Blue Earth on eMusic, but then read a few similar reviews and I delayed ever listening.

BIG mistake. Huge. It's a great little record.

Regarding production, I am sometimes caught off-guard by TTGG and how "big" some of the songs sound, especially "I'd Run Away" and "Pray for Me". To be honest, at this point, it's sort of a distraction. I guess I've been lucky enough to hear those songs from the band (or just the boys) vs just from the studio that I've gotten spoiled. :)