PDA

View Full Version : Jayhawks Recording Question

LiladyK
06-03-2009, 11:09 AM
Those of us fanpagers that have been here for a few years now, do any of you remember a particular post Olson years recording that I'm recalling.....it's a special one where Gary and Tim's vocals were mixed beautifully as equal (instead of Tim as a back up singer), and we were all discussing here how that unique feature stood out in this recording apart from other recordings? It was like the king recording of the Tim/Gary vocal mix.

I'm searching in my collection for this recording to copy it for someone, and my collection is huge and haven't been able to place it yet after a while of searching; just wondered if someone remembered off the top of their heads how that one stood out and what date it was?.....I remember Joyce in particular going crazy over this one? I'm recalling it was "maybe" acoustic and some kind of radio show thing.

Thanks for any help if you can offer it.

greekguy
06-03-2009, 11:46 AM
Was it the Women's Club version of "Blue"? I have publicly stated that that version is better than any version of that song done, including with Olson. I stand by that statement.

LiladyK
06-03-2009, 02:30 PM
No this was a short studio style recording with just a few songs, I believe it was the RDM era....and every song on it had exceptional treatment of the Gary/Tim harmonies....like it was above and beyond what they were allowed to express anywhere else. My only unquenched desire about that post Olson period is that I would have liked to have heard Tim harmonize more w/Gary instead of Tim's primary role being a back up singer. I have a recording of them singing "It's Up To You" where Gary sings the high harmony part alongside of Tim, which was an unusual part for Gary to sing during that time period, and I really treasure that. No one and I mean no one sings high harmony like GL! No one else sings that great all around in my opinion.....period!

As I pour over old recordings I've collected....as many years as I've been listening, I still get those moments of it just hitting me all over again how this guy can just sing. Whether he is singing lead (which I love to hear as well) or high harmony.......he's like a freaking Meadowlark I tell you:)

greekguy
06-03-2009, 02:38 PM
he's like a freaking Meadowlark I tell you:)

I always have a good laugh when Gary throws that bucket of confetti on the unsuspecting crowd. Classic.

Helpless
06-03-2009, 02:43 PM
Could it be something from Europe? Somewhere I have a good boot of a radio performance from Holland.

LiladyK
06-03-2009, 02:51 PM
Yes, possibly from Europe/Holland....which one would that be? I could have sworn that I owned it on CDR, but things may have been turning from snail mailing to full blown torrents....and I hadn't caught up to that level yet. Still haven't!

I recall it being played somewhere on the internet......and hearing it and agreeing how it stood out for what it was. I can't believe I missed a CDR copy of that one if I did.

TominMaine
06-03-2009, 04:35 PM
My only unquenched desire about that post Olson period is that I would have liked to have heard Tim harmonize more w/Gary instead of Tim's primary role being a back up singer.

I've thought the same, and may have posted something to that effect in the last year. The one and only time I saw the Jayhawks play I was blown away by Tim singing the Olson part in "Clouds." Tim and Gary, a couple of acoustic guitars, harmonizing... priceless.

Precious Time
06-03-2009, 05:33 PM
Could that be the 'Imagine' cover?

Jedey
06-03-2009, 07:04 PM
I always have a good laugh when Gary throws that bucket of confetti on the unsuspecting crowd. Classic.That joke was a real "Lemon".

girl incognito1
06-03-2009, 08:52 PM
I always have a good laugh when Gary throws that bucket of confetti on the unsuspecting crowd. Classic.

Now if Gary does that at the Basilica show people won't know what hit them...or will they??? :confused: :confused: ;) :p

Hummm...intreguing question Kim!!!!! :cool: :cool:

Precious Time
06-03-2009, 08:56 PM
Hummm...intreguing question Kim!!!!! :cool: :cool:

I'm pretty confident I answered the question. ;) :cool:

girl incognito1
06-03-2009, 09:06 PM

Ohhhh!!!! ;) :D :o :cool:

Jedey
06-03-2009, 09:14 PM
I've never known you to be wrong.

NY Fan
06-03-2009, 09:31 PM
That joke was a real "Lemon".

Were you guys at that First Ave show where Blake turned his back, and Gary bounced the SG off his head and caught it?! Great stuff! :rolleyes: :eek: :mad: :cool: :confused: :o :D

greekguy
06-03-2009, 10:24 PM
Were you guys at that First Ave show where Blake turned his back, and Gary bounced the SG off his head and caught it?! Great stuff! :rolleyes: :eek: :mad: :cool: :confused: :o :D

So Blake was sort of the Washington Generals of the Jayhawks then?

LiladyK
06-04-2009, 09:14 AM
Geez, I had to read through this thread a few times for it to knock me in the noggan.....confetti, lemons, I'm still cornfused in this cornfield of dreams.

The "Imagine cover" one wasn't the one I was thinking of....that is gorgeous of course. I think that was late '90s.

This was between 2000-2004.

This feels like a game show or something. I'll take "Jayhawks Shows" for 50 please.;)

Madame Carlile, are you lurking?

In the meantime I shall keep digging through this monster book of CDRs.

norma023
06-04-2009, 10:35 AM
Could that be the 'Imagine' cover?

oh that's right, that was yourself who released that one to the massess wasn't it (when it wasn't meant to be) ?!?

:rolleyes:

jcarlile
06-04-2009, 12:36 PM
Madame Carlile, are you lurking?

Hey there! I have no idea...and I don't even remember mentioning it, :eek: now I know I'm really old, but I usually remember at least after a while....:( not now though..

NY Fan
06-04-2009, 03:27 PM
:( :D :o So Blake was sort of the Washington Generals of the Jayhawks then?

I don't get it?

:rolleyes: :cool: ;) :D :eek:

david_skoglund
06-04-2009, 05:41 PM
Radio show.... Hmmmm.

Is it the Lost Highway Radio Hour show that you're thinking of?

March 2003 Cities 97 appearance?

Precious Time
06-04-2009, 07:03 PM
oh that's right, that was yourself who released that one to the massess wasn't it (when it wasn't meant to be) ?!?

:rolleyes:

Yes it was me. Every now and then some things just have to be shared. I think everyone enjoyed that amazing rendition of that classic.

Precious Time
06-04-2009, 07:11 PM
The "Imagine cover" one wasn't the one I was thinking of....that is gorgeous of course. I think that was late '90s.

This was between 2000-2004.

"Imagine" was played on 07-22-2003 at KFOG Radio studio- San Francisco, CA

It fits your profile but the Jayhawks did so many acoustic perfomances over the years, obvious you're looking for something else.

LiladyK
06-05-2009, 01:22 AM
Radio show.... Hmmmm.

Is it the Lost Highway Radio Hour show that you're thinking of?

March 2003 Cities 97 appearance?

Ah, the March 24, 2003 could very well be it:
http://www.tradewalker.co.uk/OthersA/JayHawks24032003.html

I remember it being short like that, around that time.

I have a Guthrie show they must have done that evening from that same date, but I don't have this earlier in the day thing they did.

The Lost Highway one from July 9....intro by Stephen King. I'm already including that one as highlighting some of those harmonies! Good for you for noticing that too.

Yes, Lenno I guess Imagine was '03 too. I was thinking of a Live From the Archives from KFOG...the only two KFOG things I have, that one's from '98:)

That said....anyone care to do a b & p SASE thang for me for this recording?

I promise to pass the vibe....as well as, um, uh.....
anyone have that April 13, '09 Tucson O/L show? I can never get signed into those torrent sites, anyone else have problems getting into them?

Truscott
06-05-2009, 09:09 AM
I believe I have the show you're looking for, Kim. It's in my etree list anyway. I'll see if I have that O/L show too when I get home this evening.

norma023
06-05-2009, 09:33 AM
as well as, um, uh.....anyone have that April 13, '09 Tucson O/L show? I can never get signed into those torrent sites

yepper, even have an extra burned copy sitting on my desk at home!
:D

greekguy
06-05-2009, 11:01 AM
:( :D :o

I don't get it?

:rolleyes: :cool: ;) :D :eek:

If you ever followed the Harlem Globetrotters when you were a kid, you would get it. If not...never mind. :)

CaffeineZombie
06-05-2009, 06:16 PM
[QUOTE=LiladyK;193410]I have a Guthrie show they must have done that evening from that same date, but I don't have this earlier in the day thing they did. QUOTE]

Liladyk-

are you sure you don't have the Cities 97 show as filler on disc 2 of the
Guthrie show discs? You should check...

NY Fan
06-05-2009, 09:25 PM
If you ever followed the Harlem Globetrotters when you were a kid, you would get it. If not...never mind. :)

You mean the black pseudo basketball team that did all the tricks, with the whistling 'sweet georgia brown' theme song, a guy named curly who actually had no hair, and they even had their own cartoon, and/or guest starred on scooby doo, and I think scatman crothers did one of the voices?

Yes, I get it! I get it!

LiladyK
06-06-2009, 10:09 AM
[QUOTE=LiladyK;193410]I have a Guthrie show they must have done that evening from that same date, but I don't have this earlier in the day thing they did. QUOTE]

Liladyk-

are you sure you don't have the Cities 97 show as filler on disc 2 of the
Guthrie show discs? You should check...

Hey, it's on there, thanks Benji! I have all of my recordings still archived, but in inactivity status at phishhook, and it would have informed me of this addition, except for some reason my password won't work to access them....I've tried to change the passord more than once, and written to the site manager about it more than once with no reply, and I still can't get back to my site.....which reminds me to bug him again about it. I really need to access my archives. My purpose was to backcopy all of them on disc and then close out the site perhaps, and now I can't even do that. At least I know they are still there.:)

Oh, actually this is not the recording I was thinking of....for example, listen to SDLR on it. Tim sings back up instead of co-lead like Mark did on that song. But, I really really appreciate all of this help you guys are offerring. Todd, I'll send you a SASE and blanks to make up for that Tucson show I'd be happy to take off your hands if that's ok with you :)