PDA

View Full Version : Gary & Mark, Melbourne Australia 23 May 2009

ant5marching
05-24-2009, 01:48 AM
Hi All,
Show was great last night, good mix of songs, played for about 1.5 hours. Both were in good spirits. Looking forward tonight!

Put a couple phone vids up, not much, but better than nothin. Will take some more tonight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Edpq1eyS_8s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFgM5o-YSFg

Ant.

Precious Time
05-24-2009, 05:04 AM
Yes, a great nite with Gary & Mark much more relaxed than previous nites.
They had a Simon & Garfunkel running joke during the show with Gary prompting that they were 'the cheaper version'. Mid show Mark grabbed two glass bottles half filled with water and by blowing into them, looking for the ''C" note while Gary sang a few lines of El Condor Pasa by Paul Simon. Archivists, please add that song to the cover list please.....
That cracked me up!

Each nite Gary introduced the dulcimer in a funny way, this nite it was refered to as 'the chick magnete'. Man, Mark really loved playing that instrument. Good fun people :)

The room was a decent size and filled near capacity approx 400? in the crowd. Bryn & myself met Warren *Hey man nice meeting you* who plainly enjoyed himself during the show.

TTGG shows and WFTS were met with huge cheers and applause and the RFTF songs blew everbody away. Very respectful crowd! Bryn handed some cd's by his band to Gary & Mark after the show. Gary was thankful because "now I finally can critize music" (refering to the board).

Anyway tonite they play the final Ozzie gig (which I had to miss I'm afraid). Thanks for dropping by guys! Here's some pics from yesterday:

Precious Time
05-24-2009, 05:06 AM
And some more

Calexico
05-24-2009, 05:13 AM
I am so glad you guys down there got the chance to see the boys play. Those pics look great, Lenno. I love the one with Mark and the bottles and the one of the two lads together looking happy and relaxed. Good stuff all around.:)

JoMama
05-24-2009, 05:42 AM
Wonderful photos, thanks very much! I especially like the one of Gary and Mark at the end after the bottles one. :)

Jedey
05-24-2009, 07:42 AM
Lots of great photos there Lenno!:cool:

Haggischomper
05-24-2009, 08:10 AM
That bottles pic might be the best pic of the whole dang RFTF tour! hilarious. Obviously that is Mark just being all hee-hawish again though... ;) :rolleyes:

Angelyne
05-24-2009, 08:15 AM
That bottles pic might be the best pic of the whole dang RFTF tour! hilarious. Obviously that is Mark just being all hee-hawish again though... ;) :rolleyes:

It almost looks like he's blowing on them for a sound effect! :)

Great photos!!!! Thanks for sharing them!

LiladyK
05-24-2009, 10:39 AM
The pics are great, you can feel a sense of the bond between them on the pics of them together too, thanks so much for all of the reports, vids and pics...haven't watched the cell phone vids yet, just getting ready to quickly before we head out on a looooooong bike ride this lovely morning.

LiladyK
05-24-2009, 10:44 AM
Hi All,
Show was great last night, good mix of songs, played for about 1.5 hours. Both were in good spirits. Looking forward tonight!

Put a couple phone vids up, not much, but better than nothin. Will take some more tonight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Edpq1eyS_8s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFgM5o-YSFg

Ant.

Ant, that's one nice cell phone you must have, don't think my cell phone would take vids that nice....I'm impressed with the sound quality it picked up! Thanks, looking forward to more of your vids from tonight. Oh man, I really love the sound of Mark's gritty voice under Gary's singing Angelyne.....that is perfectly beautiful. They just keep sounding more and more cohesive....Pillow Pants, you gotta admit this sounds great, don't you?
Was this show taped, btw? :)

girl incognito1
05-24-2009, 10:52 AM
Ohhhhh...what a great time Lenno!!!!! I'm soooo glad that the down under branch of the fanpage is having such a great time...very, very cool!!!

They had a Simon & Garfunkel running joke during the show with Gary prompting that they were 'the cheaper version'. Mid show Mark grabbed two glass bottles half filled with water and by blowing into them, looking for the ''C" note while Gary sang a few lines of El Condor Pasa by Paul Simon. Archivists, please add that song to the cover list please.....
That cracked me up!

Oohhhh!!!!! El Condor Pasa is one of my favorite S&G songs evah!!! I always hit the repeat on that one whenever I listen to their Greatest Hits cd I have. I would love to hear Gary sing it. :cool: :cool:

LiladyK
05-24-2009, 10:54 AM
I can't stop hitting the repeat on that vid of Angelyne....even though the song got cut off at the end, still much appreciated!

Truscott
05-24-2009, 11:06 AM
Wonderful vids, thanks for sharing them!

Lenno! Awesome photos! :D

Precious Time
05-24-2009, 04:32 PM
It almost looks like he's blowing on them for a sound effect! :)

Great photos!!!! Thanks for sharing them!

Actually, he was blowing them for the sound effects!

I was very pleased with the pics myself, I bought a new camera (Panasonic Lumix TZ-&, still a compact camera) and for the first time I have gig pics that came out pretty good.

JoMama
05-24-2009, 05:41 PM
"El Condor Pasa"

is that the 'I'd rather be the hammer than the nail
If I could..." Song?
Geesh, I'm skint on the S&G. "Bridge Over Troubled Water" though is the greatest gospel song evah....

Precious Time
05-24-2009, 06:38 PM
"El Condor Pasa"

is that the 'I'd rather be the hammer than the nail
If I could..." Song?
Geesh, I'm skint on the S&G. "Bridge Over Troubled Water" though is the greatest gospel song evah....

That's the one, JM. Gary just sang the lines you posted and that was the end of it. Gary was so proud he could sing AND play the guitar whilst Art (=Gary) only sings.

ant5marching
05-24-2009, 08:51 PM
Glad people enjoyed the clips, sorry for cutting it off :)

This show was recorded by the sound guy, I had a chat to him last night and he said the recording was with the guys, so hopefully we'll see that pop up somewhere.

Haggischomper
05-24-2009, 08:56 PM
Panasonic Lumix TZ-&

Looks like ya hit the 'shift' key at the wrong second their Lenno. Which model is it? My latest camera mag has a review off a Lumix in it so I may see if it is the same one and actually read it!

Precious Time
05-24-2009, 09:49 PM
Looks like ya hit the 'shift' key at the wrong second their Lenno. Which model is it? My latest camera mag has a review off a Lumix in it so I may see if it is the same one and actually read it!

TZ-11 but it may be called differently in the USA, Andy. The newer version is the TZ-7 (strangely enough) so I got a good deal on the older edition.

It has 10x optical zoom with a big Leica lens so I guess that payed off making these pics, even in low light.

Truscott
05-24-2009, 10:00 PM
TZ-11 but it may be called differently in the USA, Andy. The newer version is the TZ-7 (strangely enough) so I got a good deal on the older edition.

It has 10x optical zoom with a big Leica lens so I guess that payed off making these pics, even in low light.That line of cameras kicks ass! My mom has a TZ-3 and I've borrowed it a couple of times to take to concerts where I couldn't bring my SLR along. I may just have to spring for a TZ-7. :D

Haggischomper
05-24-2009, 10:00 PM

It has 10x optical zoom with a big Leica lens so I guess that payed off making these pics, even in low light.

That's okay - it is a UK mag. I wouldn't subscribe to any of that US trash. :D ;)

And it's the TZ7 that is mentioned.

JoMama
05-24-2009, 10:21 PM
I can't stop hitting the repeat on that vid of Angelyne....even though the song got cut off at the end, still much appreciated!

+1
the spine-tingling thrill of the univoice, eh? :)

LiladyK
05-24-2009, 10:21 PM
That's the one, JM. Gary just sang the lines you posted and that was the end of it. Gary was so proud he could sing AND play the guitar whilst Art (=Gary) only sings.

This reminds me of Park West '05 in the lobby post show when Gary and I sang together:

"You've gone and let someone....."

We were talkin' mystery demo talk, and I was helping him remember some of the words to that song back then.

LiladyK
05-24-2009, 10:24 PM

Hahahahahahahahahaha.....Heee Haaaaawwww Pa!

JoMama
05-24-2009, 10:25 PM

Great minds think alike, I suppose... ;)

girl incognito1
05-24-2009, 10:25 PM
Hahahahahahahahahaha.....Heee Haaaaawwww Pa!

I'll have what she's having!!!!! :p ;) :D :o :eek:

Haggischomper
05-24-2009, 10:28 PM

Careful - you'll have drink from her jugs. :eek: :o

Truscott
05-24-2009, 10:29 PM
Careful - you'll have drink from her jugs. :eek: :oOh Lord! I wonder if she'll be weened off of her jugs by the Basilica show? :confused:

girl incognito1
05-24-2009, 10:30 PM
Careful - you'll have drink from her jugs. :eek: :o

Snort!!!! Now, now!!!!! I know she's bring them with her to the Basilica show!!!! :p ;) :D

BOYS!!!! Get your minds out of the gutter!!! :o :eek: :p :D

Haggischomper
05-24-2009, 10:43 PM
Bryn handed some cd's by his band to Gary & Mark after the show.

I was hoping Bryn would hand over a 6-pack of VB!! :D :D

girl incognito1
05-24-2009, 10:47 PM
I was hoping Bryn would hand over a 6-pack of VB!! :D :D

VB...what's VB!!!!! :confused: :confused:

Haggischomper
05-24-2009, 10:52 PM
Victoria Bitter - an aussie beer I had in London once (ONCE!!!) and it was absolutely rank. Ugh. Even the aussies call it Vaginal Backwash. :o

There was a thread on it a few years back I think.

JoMama
05-24-2009, 10:54 PM
I'm drinking Busch Light. Please, no puns. Not today.:p

girl incognito1
05-24-2009, 10:54 PM
Victoria Bitter - an aussie beer I had in London once (ONCE!!!) and it was absolutely rank. Ugh. Even the aussies call it Vaginal Backwash. :o

Ahhh!!!! Thanks...I think I'll pass!!! LOL!!! ;) :D :o :p

LiladyK
05-24-2009, 10:58 PM

OMG, I was gonna joke and say vaginal backwash, but before I could, you posted that! Ha ha....but, sounds better coming from a guy.

Haggischomper
05-24-2009, 11:08 PM
Great dirty minds think alike!

Precious Time
05-24-2009, 11:19 PM
We had Toohey's and Carlton this weekend, definitely no VB.

Haggischomper
05-24-2009, 11:20 PM
We had Toohey's .

Thumb's up! IIRC that is an okay beer.

LiladyK
05-24-2009, 11:29 PM
Oh Lord! I wonder if she'll be weened off of her jugs by the Basilica show? :confused:

ROTFLMAO!

Yeeee haw! Now Truscott is in charge of bringin' the "baloney sandwiches"
Goes good with ma corn squeezin's, I'm a here ta tell ya now, Dew.

LiladyK
05-24-2009, 11:44 PM

Kristi this just might be the funniest post you've ever written.

I'll have what she's having (classic scene from Harry Met Sally)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-bsf2x-aeE&feature=related

Haggischomper
05-24-2009, 11:45 PM
:eek: I had no idea that was what you were having! I thought you said the Mr was having some zzzz's!!

girl incognito1
05-24-2009, 11:49 PM
Kristi this just might be the funniest post you've ever written.

I'll have what she's having (classic scene from Harry Met Sally)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-bsf2x-aeE&feature=related

:D :D :D ;) :cool: :cool: :p :p I love that movie. LOL!!!!

The Lorax
05-25-2009, 03:43 AM
first night in Melbourne was a great....lots of fun
small venue but real cosy ...no seating at all ....everyone standing
met an older couple behind me who said their daughter saw Gary and Mark in England and loved them so much she bought her parents tickets to the show in Melbourne.....they seemed to be having a good time and were enjoying the music...

girl incognito1
05-25-2009, 08:11 AM
first night in Melbourne was a great....lots of fun
small venue but real cosy ...no seating at all ....everyone standing
met an older couple behind me who said their daughter saw Gary and Mark in England and loved them so much she bought her parents tickets to the show in Melbourne.....they seemed to be having a good time and were enjoying the music...

Wow!!! Very cool. Gary and Mark's music is the gift that keeps on giving!!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

Bryn
05-25-2009, 09:02 AM
AHHHH!!!!!!! finally a chance to post. I am now in Busselton, about 200 klicks South of Perth, my feet haven't touched ground for a week it seems. What a trip that was Lenno, fantastic. Too much going on here for me to post much but I am so glad to have made the effort to get to all the shows, missing the extra show in Melbourne was just a bit of a pity but hey!!! Nice to hear that it was another great show. Gary seemed to really like Melbourne, said the architecture reminded him of New Orleans. I got a live CD signed by both Gary and Mark and yeah both of them accepted a Vishus Fish CD with good grace and humour, Gary commenting that at last he would get a chance to critique some of the fan pagers music. I can't wait to hear his opinion:D ;) Thanks for the company Lenno and the meal at the Café Romantica......I'll always treasure the moment.:D :D :D

girl incognito1
05-25-2009, 09:31 AM
Gary seemed to really like Melbourne, said the architecture reminded him of New Orleans.

Once an architect, always an architect!!!! :cool: ;) :D Thanks Bryn for your experience!!! It's very cool that Gary and Mark had the opportunity to go and I hope they come back. Sounds like they had a blast and their fans as well. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Bryn
05-25-2009, 09:51 AM
VB...what's VB!!!!! :confused: :confused:

Vaginal Backwash (Victorian Bitter) is a beer brewed by Carlton United Brewers and is very popular in Bogan circles. The stuff is full of preservatives so it travells well by road up to the Northern Territory and other remote places but it is just a bad beer with a hangover like you've been kicked in the head by a mule.

girl incognito1
05-25-2009, 09:54 AM
Vaginal Backwash (Victorian Bitter) is a beer brewed by Carlton United Brewers and is very popular in Bogan circles. The stuff is full of preservatives so it travells well by road up to the Northern Territory and other remote places but it is just a bad beer with a hangover like you've been kicked in the head by a mule.

Gack!!!!! I'll take my chances with Southern Comfort!!! LOL!!! :eek: :p ;) After drinking that stuff I had the worst hangover {sick for two days!}...yes...it was like being kicked in the head by a mule!!! LOL!! :eek: :eek: :o :p

Bryn
05-25-2009, 10:13 AM
Gack!!!!! I'll take my chances with Southern Comfort!!! LOL!!! :eek: :p ;) After drinking that stuff I had the worst hangover {sick for two days!}...yes...it was like being kicked in the head by a mule!!! LOL!! :eek: :eek: :o :p

Southern Comfort:eek: A mate and I knocked of two and a half bottles one long night back when I was 18, I was as sick as a country hospital for two days after and I still can't stand the smell of the stuff.

Angelyne
05-25-2009, 10:23 AM
Great videos - just had the chance to look at them - and from a cell phone, NICE work! :) And oh, how I love that one tune....Angelyne! That comment about the Eagles is funny. Someone yells out for "Desparato" and Gary says...The Eagles? The Eagles are great for the Eagles..." (or something close...)

Anyone ever have SoCo and peach schnapps? It's called a Georgia Peach. One or two of those is good enough. :)

Bryn - sounds like you're on cloud nine! I hope Gary posts a review of Vishus Fish! That would be hilarious.

PT- for which tune did Mark "play" the bottles?

Bryn
05-25-2009, 10:36 AM
Great videos - just had the chance to look at them - and from a cell phone, NICE work! :) And oh, how I love that one tune....Angelyne! And that comment about the Eagles is funny. Someone yells out for "Desparato" and Gary says...The Eagles? The are great for the Eagles..." (or something close...)

Anyone ever have SoCo and peach schnapps? It's called a Georgia Peach. One or two of those is good enough. :)

Bryn - sounds like you're on cloud nine! I hope Gary posts a review of Vishus Fish! That would be hilarious.

The guy actually requested "Desperados Waiting For A Train", Gary misheard it as Desperado and made some comment that it was not a bad song, for an Eagles song. Mark actually picked it up and pointed out that it was a Guy Clark song.

Mark played the bottles in an attemp to play the pan flutes sounds for El Condor Pasa as Gary sang. Gary was trying to sell themselves as the cheap version of Simon and Garfunkel, who are touring here very soon and charging a monza for tickets.

Angelyne
05-25-2009, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the clarification, Bryn.

The "cheap version of Simon & Garfunkel"...that Gary is a stitch!

Calexico
05-25-2009, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the company Lenno and the meal at the Café Romantica......I'll always treasure the moment.:D :D :D

Oh come on!! NO ONE quoted this? Have you people learned nothing from me at all!!??

Haggischomper
05-25-2009, 01:14 PM
I was gonna but I figured I'd leave that one for you. Didn't want the time zone to deny you. I hope they'll be very, very happy together though :D

girl incognito1
05-25-2009, 04:50 PM
Great videos - just had the chance to look at them - and from a cell phone, NICE work! :) And oh, how I love that one tune....Angelyne! That comment about the Eagles is funny. Someone yells out for "Desparato" and Gary says...The Eagles? The Eagles are great for the Eagles..." (or something close...)

That's what I thought I heard too about Desparato!!! LOL!!!! :p :o ;) I know Gary is not much of an Eagle's fan...anyhoo...SoCo and peach schnapps...it sounds sooo sweet!!!!! I don't think I'll be trying that anytime soon!!!! :p :o :eek:

girl incognito1
05-25-2009, 10:22 PM
Southern Comfort:eek: A mate and I knocked of two and a half bottles one long night back when I was 18, I was as sick as a country hospital for two days after and I still can't stand the smell of the stuff.

LOL!!!! Me too!!!! I swear when I see it at the supermarket...I have to look away...too many baddd memories with that stuff. I can't even remember how much I drank of the bottle. My brother in law was amazed that I drank as much as I did. Boy, oh boy!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: I'm not really a drinker...occasionally...OK...but all the time. :eek:

Chaosdan
05-26-2009, 04:57 AM
I once invented a cocktail called the 'Gram Parsons' - Southern Comfort and Irn Bru!

JoMama
05-26-2009, 07:21 AM
that's a Zamphir-whistle in that S & G song? Hah, I thought it was tin whistle...

Mark needed to fill those bottles rather full to get those higher notes, and blow very hard to get that glass to vibrate in that register.
What a hoot! :D

Haggischomper
05-26-2009, 07:42 AM
- Southern Comfort and Irn Bru!

cool. Gets you drunk and cures your hangover all at the same time. :cool:

LiladyK
05-26-2009, 09:02 AM
I once invented a cocktail called the 'Gram Parsons' - Southern Comfort and Irn Bru!

Huh? Wha? Did someone just say Gram Parsons? Now you know that mention wakes LiladyK up.

What is Irn Bru?

First it's the "Bandana Gig" now we have the "Bottle Blow Gig"......lol. Very cool!

Haggischomper
05-26-2009, 09:25 AM
What is Irn Bru?

Scottish soda - if it was a chick, it'd be a redhead - that outsells coca cola back home. Unique flavour, and magical, mystical hangover healing properties allegedly. Excellent ad campaigns too if ya care to You Tube it.

LiladyK
05-26-2009, 09:29 AM
Good deal! Well, I'm a red head and a Gram Parsons fan, so time to fix me up one fellas;)

Haggischomper
05-26-2009, 09:35 AM
I know they sell it up Mpls way somewhere cos Emmylou and Jed bought me one that time we went out to Hollywood town hall. I almost broke down and wept.

Calexico
05-26-2009, 12:51 PM
Jaysus, that Irn Bru stuff is great tack on the morning after.

Precious Time
05-13-2010, 12:44 AM
I'm afraid the recording I made of this night is shite. Nothing to do with the sound but with the fact that I couldn't fixate one mic and that messed it all up. Sorry so the recording of El Condor Pasa stays in the vault.

* Oh what the heck here's the snippet of Gary and Mark having a bit of fun with "El Condor Pasa"*

https://www.yousendit.com/download/dXFYZXR6Rnd0TWxjR0E9PQ