PDA

View Full Version : Tales from the North Country Disc 1 & 2 set list

musicdoc
05-15-2009, 09:06 AM
This may have been posted already, but here's the line-up for Discs 1&2 courtesy of Chris Riemenschneider of the Star Tribune (with his take on them)

DISC ONE: Two Angels / Ainít No End / Waiting for the Sun / Martinís Song / Clouds / Settled Down Like Rain / Blue / Iíd Run Away / Over My Shoulder / Miss Williamsí Guitar / Trouble / Big Star / The Man Who Loved Life / Smile / Iím Gonna Make You Love Me / What Led Me To This Town / Tailspin / All the Right Reasons / Save It For a Rainy Day / Angelyne

DISC TWO: Falling Star (from Bunkhouse Album, 1986) / Old Woman From the Red Clay (alt version) / Thatís the Bag Iím In (KFAI recording) / Wonít Be Coming Home (early demo) / Stone Cold Mess (HTH outtake) / Mission on 2nd (demo) / Lights (from Sweet Relief album, a classic!) / Darling Today (Blown Away soundtrack) / Break My Mind / Get the Load Out (both ďBad TimeĒ B-sides) / Poor Little Fish (alt version) / Someone Will (Live from Womanís Club) / Cure for This (this and all the rest are from the bandís rehearsal studio, 1999-2001)/ I Can Make It on My Own / Rotterdam / Follow Me / In the Canyon / Tailspin (alt version) / I Think Iíve Had Enough (Louris home tape) / Help Me Forget

Iíd say the first disc is a pretty good overview. I can think of several songs Iíd have tried to squeeze on (Red Firecracker, Sister Cry, Crowded in the Wings, Nothing Left to Borrow, Sound of Lies, Somewhere in Ohio), but then I canít really find any tracks Iíd take off to make room for them, except Smile. What do the rest of you think?

By Chris Riemenschneider

I'm still forming my opinion on this one.......

Haggischomper
05-15-2009, 09:21 AM
I think Chris needs to bear in mind what WE need to remember too - that Disc 1 isn't for the likes of US. Disc 1 leads folks to dig deeper and then be whacked across the shins with the awesomeness of Sister Cry, Nothing Left To Boorow, Sound of Lies etc etc. He (and we) seem to be missing the point of Disc 1.

TominMaine
05-15-2009, 11:31 AM
For what it's worth...

I'd replace: "Smile" with "Sixteen Down," "What Led Me to This Town" with "Broken Harpoon," and "All the Right Reasons" with "Stumbling Through the Dark."

ungere
05-15-2009, 02:11 PM
[Cure for This (this and all the rest are from the bandís rehearsal studio, 1999-2001)/ I Can Make It on My Own / Rotterdam / Follow Me / In the Canyon / Tailspin (alt version) / I Think Iíve Had Enough (Louris home tape) / Help Me Forget]

Have we heard some of these songs somewhere? live shows?

Haggischomper
05-15-2009, 02:13 PM
Did the albums get retitled from "Music from...." to "Tales from...."??

girl incognito1
05-15-2009, 02:16 PM
Did the albums get retitled from "Music from...." to "Tales from...."??

Ohhh...I hope not...I really loved the "Music from..." in the title!!! :) :)

musicdoc
05-15-2009, 02:45 PM
"Did the albums get retitled from "Music from...." to "Tales from...."??"-Haggischomper

No, that was my mistake, I don't know what the *&^% I was thinking. Hadn't had enough coffee at that point in the morning I figure. My apologies for any confusion.

Haggischomper
05-15-2009, 02:52 PM
Not at all - just wondered if maybe the single disc was getting one name and the deluxe box thing getting a slight different one.

jacieb
05-15-2009, 04:46 PM
"Did the albums get retitled from "Music from...." to "Tales from...."??"-Haggischomper

No, that was my mistake, I don't know what the *&^% I was thinking. Hadn't had enough coffee at that point in the morning I figure. My apologies for any confusion.

you just ruined it for all of us... thanks for nothin'

That was a joke. No need to apologize.

sacred roots
05-15-2009, 08:40 PM
Have we heard some of these songs somewhere? live shows?

Cure for This There's a song on Golden Smog's Another Fine Day with this title written by Perlman and sung by producer Paco Loco's wife, Muni. This isn't that song, although it also was written by Perlman (and Gary). It has been played live, but not by The Jayhawks. I know -- it's confusing. There definitely will be some people who will recognize this song, though. Sorry for the coyness but I'm trying to preserve some sense of surprise. :rolleyes:

I Can Make It on My Own Never played live.

Rotterdam Early, substantially different version of the song that eventually became "All the Right Reasons" on RDM. First demo-ed before Smile, well before the RDM era. First played live in late 2001 in Chicago and Mpls -- about 16 months before the release of RDM -- although by that time it was pretty much "ATRR" in everything but name.

2001 setlist (http://http://www.jayhawksfanpage.com/Jayhawkssetlists2001c.html)

Played live -- and still called "Rotterdam" -- through the first 4 months of 2002 on the "Acoustic Trio" tour. Oddly, it wasn't played at any 2002 shows after April. It popped up again -- now called "ATRR" -- at shows in 2003, sometimes as a solo number in the encore, sometimes with the band.

Follow Me Not "Follow Me Now" from the Mystery Demos. Tim song -- never played live.

In the Canyon Demo-ed by Gary early in the RDM era. Apparently never demo-ed by the full band. Played at both July 2001 First Ave. shows in a wonderful full band arrangement with Steven McCarthy. Even though it never reared its head again, it inexplicably turned into something of a fan fave, loved by at least a few Fanpagers. Strangely, this demo omits the title phrase from the lyrics, even though it was clearly noted as "In the Canyon" in the studio logs.

Tailspin (alt version) Obviously played many times live, but most definitely not in this arrangement!

I Think Iíve Had Enough (Louris home tape) never played live

Help Me Forget Played a handful of times in January 2002, during the very first shows of the "Acoustic Trio" tour. The rousing acoustic live arrangement of this song familiar to some fans is of a substantially different flavor than this full band demo.

NY Fan
05-15-2009, 09:27 PM
In the Canyon

Played at both July 2001 First Ave. shows in a wonderful full band arrangement with Steven McCarthy. Even though it never reared its head again, it inexplicably turned into something of a fan fave, loved by at least a few Fanpagers. Strangely, this demo omits the title phrase from the lyrics, even though it was clearly noted as "In the Canyon" in the studio logs.

I'm totally one of those people. I was at those July shows, and have boots of them that I love to hear.

Can't wait for this stuff. Thanks...

mystic_spiral_3
05-15-2009, 10:23 PM
I'm rather excited for disc 2. Will be nice to hear some of these for the first time and/or have them all in one place. :)

Precious Time
05-16-2009, 05:05 AM
Disc 2 does have some surpises. Real rarities! Good stuf!!!!

JayB
05-16-2009, 06:03 AM
To me Disc 1 is the "bonus car disc" that comes with the awesome outtakes disc!!

Calexico
05-16-2009, 10:08 AM
Pre-order available yet?

JoMama
05-16-2009, 10:24 AM
Pre-order available yet?

I think on Amazon here it's listed that way, with a guarantee if the price drops...

philipgar
05-16-2009, 12:32 PM
awesome, i can't wait to hear another Tim song!!! He always had some of my favorites!!!

Phil