PDA

View Full Version : First Avenue: Hayday (promo trailer)

norma023
04-27-2009, 11:44 AM
this has probably been mentioned on here, somewhere, in some thread or another.

Check out some early First Ave Jayhawks clips (and quite of few other legendary MN names)...!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUGpDlJYQTE

girl incognito1
04-27-2009, 12:16 PM
^^^^^ Very cool!!!!!!! Thanks!!! I've only seen the outside of FA and would LOVE to go in and see a show. Gary and Mark looks sooo young. :cool: :cool: :cool:

LiladyK
04-27-2009, 01:43 PM
Wow, thanks Mr. Norman.....what is that song that Mark-o and the Gare are singing, anyone know?

goody59
04-27-2009, 02:19 PM
My money is on the CZ coming up with the song title

LiladyK
04-27-2009, 02:53 PM
Hah! So true......he's been quite faithful to us in that department over the years I've noticed;)

sacred roots
04-27-2009, 08:14 PM
Wow, thanks Mr. Norman.....what is that song that Mark-o and the Gare are singing, anyone know?

"Red-Eye Blues." 86-87 vintage, from the "lost" second album that includes some semi-familiar titles (Diamond Rio, Slo Daze, Tarpaper House + early versions of some of the Blue Earth songs) plus a bunch of stuff that has never leaked or been performed live (Surely I Must Be, Windy Mountain, No Mystery, etc). I believe that clip was from their first main room show in March 86 opening for The Long Ryders (with future Jayhawk Steve McCarthy).

girl incognito1
04-27-2009, 08:59 PM
"Red-Eye Blues." 86-87 vintage, from the "lost" second album that includes some semi-familiar titles (Diamond Rio, Slo Daze, Tarpaper House + early versions of some of the Blue Earth songs) plus a bunch of stuff that has never leaked or been performed live (Surely I Must Be, Windy Mountain, No Mystery, etc). I believe that clip was from their first main room show in March 86 opening for The Long Ryders (with future Jayhawk Steve McCarthy).

Wow!!!! Just Wow!!!! Thanks for the information Sacred Roots...you rock as always!!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

LiladyK
04-27-2009, 11:37 PM
Yeah really, +1....THANKS soooo much.

I'm really looking forward to this Herculean Project stuff.

I'm thinking Windy Mountain is on that same 1980's Harriett Bandshell show with Slo Daze and Diamond Riothough.

Oh how I'd like to be upon a windy mountain. Where the tree tops reach the sky. Then I will forget all my worries and my troubles. I'll just let the wind blow them by.....(or something like that?:) )

JoMama
04-28-2009, 04:01 AM
That's some pretty obscure stuff there, P.D.--that mention of a "lost" second album is simply out of this world.
Regardless, I'm still blown away by the M.D.s, I don't know if anyone this side of Neil Young has such a backlog of material.
I hope Gary and Mark parse it out slowly and are allowed to peruse this stuff slowly, as it really is something special.
Thanks again, and nods to the rest of y'all for your archival assistance!

sacred roots
04-28-2009, 06:43 AM
I'm thinking Windy Mountain is on that same 1980's Harriett Bandshell show with Slo Daze and Diamond Riothough.

Good catch. "Windy Mountain" (which is actually a cover) was on the 88 Lake Harriett tape. See, you are a "stumper," Kim. :)

Angelyne
04-28-2009, 10:49 AM
Yeah really, +1....THANKS soooo much.

I'm really looking forward to this Herculean Project stuff.

Yes, yes, yes! I loved that clip, thanks Norma & thanks PD for the info. :cool:

LiladyK
04-28-2009, 11:56 AM
I play that Harriett show a lot, probably only reason why I remembered!

I couldn't remember where I heard Warm River from without digging through my collection, though I remember playing that one a whole lot too (Gary asked me where I heard that song from)

I remember Tar Paper from the 85-87 demos

No Mystery - so that's probably really not the song about mama bringing home some chicken pie and nobody loves you like your brother can? There's a part in the chorus where they sing "it's no great mystery". Just wondering, man this is fun stuff.

Speakin' of those old, some of 'em Bunkhouse demos, when we're up in northern Mn. sometimes on the way up to Canada or wherever, we always pop in Roadside Mama, making our regular break at Fitger's brewery in Duluth, and we like to walk along the shore out back there and sing this one.....got it memorized now cause we've sung it there together over and over.

"Yeah I recall the time we used to walk around the shores of Lake Superior, collecting agates as the sun went down. And off in the distance you could see the lights. You could see the lights of old Duluth town":)

girl incognito1
04-28-2009, 12:01 PM
I play that Harriett show a lot, probably only reason why I remembered!

I couldn't remember where I heard Warm River from without digging through my collection, though I remember playing that one a whole lot too (Gary asked me where I heard that song from)

I remember Tar Paper from the 85-87 demos

No Mystery - so that's probably really not the song about mama bringing home some chicken pie and nobody loves you like your brother can? There's a part in the chorus where they sing "it's no great mystery". Just wondering, man this is fun stuff.

Speakin' of those old, some of 'em Bunkhouse demos, when we're up in northern Mn. sometimes on the way up to Canada or wherever, we always pop in Roadside Mama, making our regular break at Fitger's brewery in Duluth, and we like to walk along the shore out back there and sing this one.....got it memorized now cause we've sung it there together over and over.

"Yeah I recall the time we used to walk around the shores of Lake Superior, collecting agates as the sun went down. And off in the distance you could see the lights. You could see the lights of old Duluth town":)

Really cool Kim!!!! I like Duluth...very lovely area. I would love to hear this song sometime. :cool: :cool: :cool: Gary and Mark sure have a way of putting the listener in their songs...kinda like on a map with an arrow pointing and saying "you are there." :cool: :cool: :cool:

goody59
04-28-2009, 03:25 PM
Warm River is definitely on the Hyatt Hotel show 9/90. Martins Song, Wont Be Coming Home, Warm River. Hows that for the first 3 songs of a show!!