PDA

View Full Version : San Diego Twitter

jacieb
04-12-2009, 08:34 PM
Check, check.

Ravi, Kristy, and I just heard the soundcheck.

JoMama
04-12-2009, 08:39 PM
Check, check.

Ravi, Kristy, and I just heard the soundcheck.

How does the sound do glancing off empty Stella bottles?:rolleyes:

jacieb
04-12-2009, 08:49 PM
Sound check was loud!

We are hoping the audience absorbs the sound, or the turn it down a notch.

jacieb
04-12-2009, 09:55 PM
I'm in the front row. I'll have to sneak the twitter.

jacieb
04-12-2009, 10:53 PM
Another awesome set by Teddy Thompson. Really charming!

jacieb
04-12-2009, 11:16 PM
We just got a shout out for knowing all the words, and the promise of a free cd if we keep it up!

jacieb
04-12-2009, 11:34 PM
Where'd u go you've gone you've gone your way

jacieb
04-13-2009, 12:34 AM
Awesome show! Better than last night;)

Playing Crowded House as we head to the merch table. Perfect. :)

Mattstr
04-13-2009, 02:03 AM
I just confirm all that has been written already including Crowded House and add that my friends and I had a great time and I got the tour CD autographed which was awesome. I was really happy that they played "Red's Song" which has been a favorite of mine lately. I held out some hope for Angelyne, Until You Came Along or Valentine King, but we got two of those the last two times they came to the Belly Up, so I'm not complaining. Can't wait for Calexico on Friday.

Calexico
04-13-2009, 06:55 AM
. Can't wait for Calexico on Friday.

Sorry dude, I'm working!

nutshell
04-13-2009, 09:33 AM
Any more details, please? check, check....

gng
04-13-2009, 09:38 AM
Hey, I was at the Belly Up show last night. Incredible show - Belly Up sound is excellent and Gary and Mark's vocals were spotless. I never get tired of hearing Blue and last night their rendition was perfect, their voices blending into that famous Jayhawks sound. Got my tour CD signed, too. Considering it was Easter Sunday, they did a good job of getting people into the venue.

jacieb
04-13-2009, 11:45 AM
For the SD attendees:
http://www.teddythompson.com/store.aspx
Teddy Thompson's official site

jcarlile
04-13-2009, 12:54 PM
You're in love aren't you?! :p ;)

He is a cutie, we saw him opening for his mom a couple years ago in Chicago. He also sang and played with her.:)

philipgar
04-13-2009, 01:03 PM

He is a cutie, we saw him opening for his mom a couple years ago in Chicago. He also sang and played with her.:)

I've been listening to him for a while now. Personally I'm a huge fan of his dad's music, but his own music is pretty good, although he's not as accomplished of a guitarist (yet). I remember seeing him live a little over 3 years ago, and some band (who I had never heard of at the time) called Grace Potter and the Noctournals was opening for him. Needless to say, that was one of the only times I went to a show and was completely blown away by an opening band I had never heard of before the show (and this isn't to say Teddy's set wasn't good, it was, but wow...). I then saw Teddy at the SF show last week, and it was a good set, but this time Gary and Mark completely blew him out of the water. Of course, I can't think of many artists G&M wouldn't...

Phil

jacieb
04-13-2009, 01:34 PM

My girlfriend that I took to the LA concert certainly is. ;)

I have been listening to his new record all morning. I had never heard of him, but I LOVED him. Totally reminded me of Marshall Crenshaw. Especially since it was just one singer and one guitar - that's gonna be me on open mic night at Bella Roma, you know. :D :p I paid REALLY close attention to his guitar playing, and I learned a lot.

Also, for those of you who mentioned it to me, I went home yesterday and figured out how to play both SOS and Super Trooper on the ole' gee-tar. Next up....Waterloo!

One comment those OTHER people at the show...

I didn't notice this as much on the East Coast, but last night especially, with Ingunn playing drums and singing they sounded like a BAND. I didn't hear any parts that were too "strummy" - they were almost always layering their distinct guitar parts rather than simply reinforcing the same chords. The sound was full and spirited and top notch.

GL went into this extended "jam" during When the Wind Comes Up on both nights. I mentioned to Nate "it's like Phish concert". He looked at me blankly and I added "...because of the extended guitar jam." He responded "Oh...I thought it was because you were following them country from concert to concert." He's just...hilarious.

We sat in the front row - I wanted to sit on the side, but then I realized I couldn't see their guitar playing if I did that (this was really a field trip, you know;) ). Mark gave us plenty of attention, which my husband later confessed made him self-concious (he wasn't feeling well, but was trying to be a trooper). We were right in front of the speakers, so I could sing along rather than just lip sync. That was cool and put a big grin on my face.

GL called someone else out for taking notes (and also noted that a man in the front legs had such nice legs that they were "distracting"). So I tried to keep my notetaking and twittering discreet. I looked up after a twitter and saw MO giving me this look like "what the....?" I guess maybe I was too discreet?

We talked to GL after, about Shatner and Richard Gere. And I didn't mention trains even once!!! That, my friends, is what I call progress! :)

gng
04-13-2009, 07:05 PM
What was the name of that Indian sounding song where Gary's guitar sounded like a sitar? Very cool song. Was hoping it would be on the tour CD but it's not :-(

BTW, really cool they were selling the tour CD but anyone think that Gary's voice needs to be kicked up a notch and Mark's toned down a hair? Not complaining, glad they put it out, but wish I could jump in and tweak that mix a bit. In the show they were stunning.

jacieb
04-13-2009, 07:16 PM
That was Walking Through Nevada, and wasn't that incredible. I asked Nate "is that a zither? A sitar?" We were also trying to figure out their pedals and effects because hubby is really into that. I just think it sounds cool, but I'll listen to "it's running through an envelope filter."

I loved that part, and Ingunn's voice added so much to that song. Just BEAUTIFUL.... I think that's my new favorite Solo-Olson song.

gng
04-13-2009, 08:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhCdbHB6rsI

Cool, thanks. This Youtube version is good, but when they did it last night it was absolutely stunning.

jacieb
04-13-2009, 08:08 PM
It was cool that Mark mentioned the sound at the Belly Up. It really is a cool place.

girl incognito1
04-13-2009, 08:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhCdbHB6rsI

Cool, thanks. This Youtube version is good, but when they did it last night it was absolutely stunning.

Yes wasn't it!!! I really loved how the three sounded on the song...Ingunn's voice, Gary's guitar {man oh, man!!!} and Mark's dulcimer that's what I think it was...an wonderful song!!!

That was Walking Through Nevada, and wasn't that incredible. I asked Nate "is that a zither? A sitar?"

Actually...I don't think it's a sitar (see above :o )...a good example of a sitar solo is Brian Jones playing the insterment on the Rolling Stones' Paint It Black. ;)

ChiefCrowe
04-13-2009, 08:23 PM
This show was also most excellent!!! We had a blast and would do it all again for the next one if I could!!
I think the only change in the set was they played Gospel Song for you.
Gary had a sweeet middle eastern type jam before Nevada and also in one other song.. i hope they continue this kind of thing.. Love it!!!!

Haggischomper
04-13-2009, 08:53 PM
Midwesterner gets Middle Eastern. Nifty.

gng
04-13-2009, 09:08 PM
Yes wasn't it!!! I really loved how the three sounded on the song...Ingunn's voice, Gary's guitar {man oh, man!!!} and Mark's dulcimer that's what I think it was...an wonderful song!!!

Actually...I don't think it's a sitar (see above :o )...a good example of a sitar solo is Brian Jones playing the insterment on the Rolling Stones' Paint It Black. ;)

Yeah, I know it was a not a sitar :D But he sure got it to sound like one, didn't he? Like most of you out there I've seen them play Belly Up a few times and this was a great show. I sat up in the balcony as I didn't want to fight for a seat (I usually get there at least an hour in advance and, well, it was Easter!) and there were not many people up there with us. So who grabbed the setlist? I saw someone nab it and I asked for the other one but the guard said NO.

girl incognito1
04-13-2009, 09:26 PM
Yeah, I know it was a not a sitar :D But he sure got it to sound like one, didn't he? Like most of you out there I've seen them play Belly Up a few times and this was a great show. I sat up in the balcony as I didn't want to fight for a seat (I usually get there at least an hour in advance and, well, it was Easter!) and there were not many people up there with us. So who grabbed the setlist? I saw someone nab it and I asked for the other one but the guard said NO.

That's OK hon!!!!! I was wondering how the sound was from upstairs!!!! Then again I just have to sit in front of Gary! :o :D ;) :p :cool:

jacieb
04-13-2009, 11:05 PM
Did you see the poster on the wall signed by GL, MP, TOR, as well as the Thorns? There's a local access show that they used to run all the time where each did a few songs.:) I used to watch it whenever it came on.

http://buposters.makeminemarquee.com/POSTERS/lgPosters/jayhawks-0204.html

gng
04-14-2009, 12:06 AM
I saw the Thorns show there. Also incredible. As for sound upstairs, it's really good. But the glass half wall is a bit irritating if you are not tall enough, and yes, there is a pole up there too so there are some lousy seats if you are unlucky.

girl incognito1
04-14-2009, 09:58 AM
Did you see the poster on the wall signed by GL, MP, TOR, as well as the Thorns? There's a local access show that they used to run all the time where each did a few songs.:) I used to watch it whenever it came on.

http://buposters.makeminemarquee.com/POSTERS/lgPosters/jayhawks-0204.html

No!!!! I wish you pointed that out! :o :cool: :)