Revolution Blues
V
Spooky>Down by the River>Spooky

christine
08-08-2003, 09:50 AM
no review? :confused:

muskytoes
08-08-2003, 09:57 AM
It's coming, my head is still fermenting the plant nector (barley juice).
I had 7 cups of coffee before the show
a new all time high (zip'bing'tang)
Show was tre'fab!

NY Fan
08-08-2003, 10:38 AM
Two questions already (but thanks for getting this up so soon):

Give us ANYTHING to work from on the mystery song -- tempo, a quote, a style!!! something -- and how the hell did they work down by the river into spooky!?! That is a trick my band would love to pull...

-- GM

norma023
08-08-2003, 10:38 AM
absolutely the **best** show I've caught this entire year. Which means it beat out about 4 Hawks shows, about 4 Soul Asylum & ... (etc etc). Best $10 (or was it $11?) dollars I've spent recently....

Wonderful, just really wonderful, still flying on cloud nine, as 'dem boys played for 2 hrs and most people didn'y get home till close to 2am, means I'm tired and can't think straight! Not to mention that I'm supposed to working!! :)

Yeah, you're not gonna get much out of me - sorry. I'm sure someone else will chime in for exact details etc ....

Will say this though, Gary played piano on a couple songs, standing up. Can't say I've seen him play the keys before. Perls sang lead on a cover (can't remember which), and Murphy's girlfriend came up and sang 2 songs (as it was her birthday), which was a treat in itself.

UWS Fan
08-08-2003, 11:01 AM
Man, are you guys lucky. Given that I never knew too much about the band (other than I always liked whatever I heard from them and knew the lineup of the band), is this always a pickup kind of thing? Obviously, all the guys have to be in the same city at the same time. Have they toured, or is this just a Minneapolis thing? Have they ever played NYC? HELP!!!

Ordinarygirl
08-08-2003, 11:11 AM
The set list alone is enough to make me drool. I'm sure it was fabulous, and as soon as all of you are awake enough to tell us more, please do. The rest of us will live vicariously through those of you who were there.... and I will never wait too long to buy a ticket ever again! I'm kicking myself!

norma023
08-08-2003, 11:14 AM
UWS Fan
you have private message from me

muskytoes
08-08-2003, 11:19 AM
It was a dark and stormy night, just kidding!
Now I expected it to just be a friggin nut-house in there last night. I was quite surprised at how much room we had to move around, and how quickly you could get a beer. Cheers to the 400 BAR!

Looking Forward is a predictable opener but with Jesse onstage it's worth an extra glance or two. Kraig's allready got a sweaty-head.
Ill Fated and Danny's gonna tear it up "So many things you don't know, want me to leave, just say so". "ahhh this is sublime" I think to myself, I aint leaving. Cursed Cats in the night!
Lost Love and what ya got for me Tweedy? Jesse still on Voilin, nice and easy sway number, not too snoozy but Tweedy's not into it yet.
Making Waves and we're mixing it up a bit, Jeff is on Bass and Perlman plays some Mandolin. "Ohhh don't leave me now" Floating on a pillow of air
Call My Own, yeah more Danny!!! Tweedy still on bass Perlman on acoustic. GOLDMINE IN THE LOCAL SCENE!
Glad & Sorry is hot KJ is on Bass. Jeff and Gary play off each other, but Tweedy's voice isn't perfect, yet.
He's a Dick, well what can you say about this song? Last time he was at my house and KJ has a big 0l' grin on his face
Walk Where He Walked and I Can't Keep From talking and here's the snoozefest waiting to happen. It didn't, Tweedy's getting into the groove now, more laughter with Gary, and Danny is absent from stage.
Danny and Girlfriend come out for Happy Birthdays' and do a vicious cover. Danny sings the Petty parts, she sings one more song I didn't know then it's back to the show.
Pecan Pie and Jesse's back Tweedy's acoustic and Kraig's just standing around goofing off. GAry let's loose with a wicked solo to an otherwise stripped down version of the song. Danny's left the stage.
Yesterday Cried and the full band is back in their origional positions. Kraig nails it!
All the Same to Me and Tweedy's gonna slow things down again, but not too much. He's closing his eyes now and his voice is clearer, really pretty reading of this gem.
Fooled Around and Fell in Love, well the party's going good now. I look at my watch and it's 12:25. Jeff has the Jazzmaster and is noodling around, Gary joins in and they really play off each other. Slow it down for the big ending, nicely played, my 2nd time ever seeing this song.
White Shell Road and Danny's on the Piano. This song has really become quite the tool for jamming. "The leaves listen to what I say" Gary is crooning, Marc is thumping Jeff and Jesse play well off each other, then BAM Gary totally shreds the ending. White Hot, Smokin'. A highlight for sure.
If I Only Had a Car, KJ on Piano now, No Tweedy. Danny get the first solo. Killer version (no quotes...)
Love is the Drug and we're all screaming for Perlman. He takes the mic. and does his best Brain Ferry, pawing Gary and Hugging onstage. What a goofball, highlight for sure!
Until You Came Along and Jim Boquist is onstage in Tweedy's spot. Jeff is smoking a ciggy over by Jesse, he and Gary embrace as the song has the biggest ending ever. Whew!
Encores:
Radio King and it's just Gary, Jeff and Jesse. A near perfect reading of this now classic tune. Jeff screws up the line about 1959, but I'll take it any old way..."voice breaks every time...so I hang on every line..." Wow I got chills this is getting scary good.
Tell My Brothers and Jeff has his eyes completley closed, finally everyone is quiet. We are all entranced as Jeff tells us a story. Beautiful, sorrowfull, heartfelt, I may have cried.
Revolution Blues, Oh my gawd!!! It's like Ten-million dune buggy's comin' down the mountian. A rolling lumbertruck has more control. EVERYBODY SOLOS'. Monster Rock Show, Slow ending again.
V Probably the best song played all night, Gary on Piano Kraig singing and playing Harmonica. Tweedy on Bass, Perlman on Acoustic. Kraig picks up his Strat and launches into some freaky effects and pounds the shit out of that old Fender. Yeah I'm a happy boy!
They come back out for one more Spooky. Tweedy gets the song confused with one of his own half way through. I mean he's way out there, so Danny comes up to a mic and starts in with the words for Down by the River, they play a bit of it then Gary takes them back to Spooky. Tweedy leaves, Danny leaves, Jesse leaves. So Gary Marc and Jody are just jamming, Gary is really playing well, just as if he were auditioning for Van Halen. They end the song and Perly says "That's my bread and butter right there" Mr.Gary Louris you are the MAN!!!
All things considered it was better than I expected. Must be my 10 or 12 Smog show by now.
Oh yeah I got in for free too!!!

christine
08-08-2003, 11:29 AM
HOLY SHIT!! :D

Ordinarygirl
08-08-2003, 11:48 AM
:p Sigh.

greekguy
08-08-2003, 11:56 AM
Great review Musky. This was my first Smog show ever, won't make it tonight so I did my best to enjoy it as it it was my last. I was overwhelmed by how much fun was coming from the stage. I have seen Wilco a few times recently, KJJ, the Hawks and a couple of SA shows. With the exception of SA, who plays to the crowd as they don't have a record out (or to get out), it seems you can tell the "regular band" shows have a bit more of a serious element that is great in itself. The interaction and smiles on stage last night could only be real.

A couple of thoughts.

-I was, I guess suprised at the interaction between Gary and Jeff. More than a few times they looked like they have been playing in the same band for years. The first encore was incredible with Jesse, and the hugginess between the two during Until You Came Along was a fun observation.

-Did Jeff get a bit teary after or during Tell My Brothers? He kind of did the pretend wiping of his eyes after he was done, but I was pretty close to him and it looked like he really was a bit affected.

-Happy Birthday, young lady...please don't sing anymore.

-I thought Gary was a bit more into it than your perception. The "We are going to play Tell My brothers later so stop asking! I like that song too." comment was kind of funny. Followed by the "Are you happy now?" after it was done. He has the best voice of anyone up there so I tend to concentrate on him a bit more.

-Top 5 show of my own personal all time show list.

**Warning** **Warning** If you wanted to attend the show but could not get tickets, DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT READ BELOW THIS LINE!! **Warning** **Warning**

Quote of the night by the guy that stood behind me. About half way through the show the guy right behind me said to my friend and I, "Have you ever heard these guys?" We gave him a funny look and said "Yeah". He said, "What are they called?" and we both pretended not to hear that question. I didn't have the nerve to ask him what the hell he was doing there, then. Granted, you pay your money or get invited, but damn, someone offered me $300 for my pair of tickets a couple of weeks ago. Maybe there might have been someone who could have taken his place in the bar.

CaffeineZombie
08-08-2003, 12:01 PM
I got down to the $400 Bar a little
after 8 and stood outside in line...took
me a few minutes to realize that everyone waiting DIDN'T have a ticket
and I could go right inside.

:eek:

muskytoes
08-08-2003, 12:27 PM
Outside the bar was a show in itself
We were approached no less than 1 block away asking for any extra's
Then at the Bar there's this yuppy looking guy asking for extra's, with one in his hand allready
So I says to him "Looks like you got the extra ticket buddy" He says it's his girlfriends and he needs one for himself. I said "Let your girlfriend go in with us, we'll keep an eye on her for ya!"
The wanker sold his only ticket before the show even started.
We heckled him all the way accross Riverside Ave!
We missed the opener Poe and Program show cause we had to wait on friends who were on the list. So we hung with the losers', wannabe's and scene-sters that didn't have ticket's, then at the last minute pulled out our tickets and surprise! We're in!
It was a fun time for sure saw lots of folks and got confirmation on the Tweedy rumor even before Reimenischneider printed it in todays press (jerk)

cohenmpls
08-08-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by greekguy
The "We are going to play Tell My brothers later so stop asking! I like that song too." comment was kind of funny. Followed by the "Are you happy now?" after it was done. was anyone else near that guy- he was making quite a ruckus besides contantly yelling for Please Tell My Brother. he busted his way up in the crowd, yelling stuff, and displacing the nice girl behind me. when the girl tried to complain, he kept yelling about how angry she was- man, he was the angry one. later in the show, when he pushed another guy out of his spot someone finally kicked him out. that guy was a little nutso (and drunko)

greekguy
08-08-2003, 12:51 PM
I was on the other side of the stage. I didn't know who he was talking to. Coot, were you the guy right in the middle with the camera, about 4 or five rows deep?

cohenmpls
08-08-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by greekguy
I was on the other side of the stage. I didn't know who he was talking to. Coot, were you the guy right in the middle with the camera, about 4 or five rows deep? no, i was about 2nd row deep on the center-ish/right
side, pretty close to being in front of gary. right in front
of jessy when she was singing. I think i saw the guy you
are talking about- was he pushing his way around looking
for a spot to shoot- and the crowd around him wasn't too
appreciative.

mdnm2000
08-08-2003, 03:51 PM
Cootner:
I was on the other side from you (near that RIDICULOUS guy with the camera that was pushing everyone around).
I noticed (if it was you) that you had a big flash on your 35mm. Was that you? Do you find that works well. When I've used flash in the past, the pictures never turn out as well...I usually avoid the flash and use a high-speed film with a zoom lense, but have had mixed results both ways.
I'm thinking of taking some pictures at the show tonight and am looking for advice from someone that may be more experienced.
Thanks!

cohenmpls
08-08-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by mdnm2000
Cootner:
I was on the other side from you (near that RIDICULOUS guy with the camera that was pushing everyone around).
I noticed (if it was you) that you had a big flash on your 35mm. Was that you? Do you find that works well. When I've used flash in the past, the pictures never turn out as well...I usually avoid the flash and use a high-speed film with a zoom lense, but have had mixed results both ways.
I'm thinking of taking some pictures at the show tonight and am looking for advice from someone that may be more experienced.
Thanks! the guy with the big flash was a photographer for the StarTribune. he was shooting digital, seemed to be alternating between using flash and not. he often held the camera up over his head and used the digital viewfinder to frame his shot. Same guy who shot the creekdippers a couple weeks ago
http://www.startribune.com/images/embed/4003702_63916.html

i was to his left, and up a few "rows". I was was shooting high speed film (Ilford Delta 3200) with no flash- using a Pentax K1000 with a fixed 50mm lens. hope i got some good stuff.

sacred roots
08-08-2003, 05:01 PM
The "mystery cover" was "Never Marry a Railroad Man," a way obscure cover of a Shocking Blue song, the 70s Dutch group best known for "Venus," as well as being the source of Nirvana's first single ("Love Buzz"). This song was often performed in the very early days of Golden Smog and hasn't made a live appearance that i'm aware of since early 1996.

BTW, i talked to several people who came down without tickets and got in. They evidently sold a few "leftovers" right before 8 pm and a few people even got in by patiently waiting for guest listers who had "plus ones" and "plus twos" who didn't show :eek: and managed to finagle their way in with their new "best friend." Yeah, it sucks that the guest list was so big and that there are so many dolts who didn't deserve to be there (like the two morons next to me in the back who literally talked throughout the entire evening and barely looked at the stage) but, unfortunately, that's the way the cookie has always crumbled.

All in all a truly magnificent evening. Tonight promises to be even more exciting with likely solo sets from Leona Ness, Dan Murphy and some guy from Chicago named Jeff, another David Poe & The Program set (he was simply amazing last night), as well as a full Kraig Johnson & The Program set featuring a cast of thousands and special guests galore.

Oh yeah, the reason Gary and Mark had to leave today was for a private corporate gig in Seattle. In a way, i'm almost glad they're not gonna be there tonight as i'm not sure my already weakened constitution could take the excitement of another "full"Golden Smog show.

Time for my power nap so i can be fresh and ready for tonight's festivities. I'll be selling David Poe merch after his set -- stop by and say hi.

norma023
08-08-2003, 05:37 PM
doors are at 8pm tonight - correct ?

and how about the music,when is that slated to start? Anyone know??

mdnm2000
08-08-2003, 06:04 PM
The bartender at 400 last night told me that music always starts there between 9 and 10. I wouldn't get there much later than 9:00. There's a lot of variables and nothing is written in stone.
For instance, last night doors were supposed to be at 8, but didn't open until around 8:40 when David Poe was done soundchecking. Golden Smog came on about 11:30.
Better safe than sorry I guess.

mdnm2000
08-08-2003, 07:07 PM
ps. Thanks for the info Cootner. Hope your pictures turn out well! That creekdipper picture is great. What a beautiful night that was, just perfect...and only steps from my doorstep too. :)

LiladyK
08-08-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by CaffeineZombie
I got down to the $400 Bar a little
after 8 and stood outside in line...took
me a few minutes to realize that everyone waiting DIDN'T have a ticket
and I could go right inside.

:eek:

So did you notice that ANYONE waiting in line w/out a ticket getting in???:mad:

butzodaddy
08-09-2003, 12:02 AM
Here's Riemenschneider's review: http://www.startribune.com/stories/919/4032428.html

cohenmpls
08-09-2003, 02:51 AM
and here's a second picture, different than the one featured in the article link:
http://www.startribune.com/images/hl/4032428_64780.html

Sue B
08-09-2003, 12:18 PM
WOW. This seems reason enough to move to Chicago or Minneapolis. :)

Thanks for the reviews and the link to the newspaper review!

BTW, I just read that Gary and Chris Robinson (Black Crowes) hung out together on Thursday, running errands. To have been in their shopping cart. ;)

*NEEDING GS to come to the Northeast*

LiladyK
08-09-2003, 01:41 PM
I STILL want to know if anyone w/out a ticket waiting in that line to get in actually got in......:mad:

greekguy
08-09-2003, 01:44 PM
The answer is yes. I am pretty sure it is in this thread. Read the post from Sacred Roots just above your question.

solace
08-09-2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by LiladyK
I STILL want to know if anyone w/out a ticket waiting in that line to get in actually got in......:mad:

yup, almost all the people i met in line while waiting got in on Thursday. they eventually sold more tickets around 9:30 or so as well. and lots of people got in on guestlist +1 and +2's.

NY Fan
08-11-2003, 11:29 AM
So:

Did anybody tape this show???

-- GM

erich
08-11-2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by NY Fan
So:

Did anybody tape this show???

-- GM

Yes, but not for us:mad:

A guy had a nice rig and computer set up. I gave him a business card, but he said he was taping it for the band and he'd be finished if the show ever got leaked. I told him if the band changes their minds to be sure and contact me. He was a good sport, and you could see he was uneasy about saying no. I mean, why tape a show if no one is going to hear it?!

Anyone have more pictures to post? A guy in front of me with a digital camera got what looked like some great pics. Please share!

erich
08-11-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by muskytoes
Looking Forward
Ill Fated
Won't Be Coming Home
Lost Love
Making Waves
To Call My Own
Glad & Sorry
He's A Dick
Walk Where He Walked
I Can't Keep From Talking
Stop Dragging My Heart Around
???NO NO NO IDEA???
Pecan Pie
Yesterday Cried
All The Same To Me
Fooled Around and Fell in Love
White Shell Road
If I Only Had A Car
Love is the Drug
Until You Came Along
encores:
Radio King
Tell My Brothers
Revolution Blues
V
Spooky>Down by the River>Spooky

I was listening to a copy of the 12/12/98 show at first ave yesterday and noticed the similarity between setlists: here's the 98 one:

looking forward to seeing you
ill fated
won't be coming home
lost love
making waves
white shell road
to call my own
glad and sorry
V
he's a dick
walk where he walked
keys
can't keep from talking
jennifer save me
pecan pie
fooled around and fell in love
fear of falling
if i only had a car
until you came along
radio king
please tell my brother
hurricane
revolution blues
reflections on me
frightened
spooky

muskytoes
08-11-2003, 01:02 PM
yeah the show was almost the same as '98 or '00 shows, not like the '95 Smog shows Chris Reimensteiner was refering too in his review.
Punk-ass bich was just being used by those guys to get people into the bar early.
You know those guys love to 'give shit' to industry wankers, it makes them look good for talking to the press and makes the reviewer's look like idiots when they print stuff like 'Tweedy's gonna be there doing solo acoustic set'.

LiladyK
08-11-2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by erich

Yes, but not for us:mad:

A guy had a nice rig and computer set up. I gave him a business card, but he said he was taping it for the band and he'd be finished if the show ever got leaked. I told him if the band changes their minds to be sure and contact me. He was a good sport, and you could see he was uneasy about saying no. I mean, why tape a show if no one is going to hear it?!

Anyone have more pictures to post? A guy in front of me with a digital camera got what looked like some great pics. Please share!

I cannot/should not/give out details, so, please don't ask me, but there definitely will be a nice copy of this Golden Smog show circulating in the future

As for pics....when I hear/know that Cootner is there pro-snapping away, who really needs much more than that?! He's the GOD of live Jayhawks photography:D

cohenmpls
08-11-2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by LiladyK
As for pics....when I hear/know that Cootner is there pro-snapping away, who really needs much more than that?! He's the GOD of live Jayhawks photography:D lilady, you're such a sweetheart to say things like that-
it's nice. -i did shoot, never know how they're gonna turn
out until i see 'em- it pretty dark in that place, the 400 bar.

my lab is pretty sloppy, and hasn't had any b&w developer
since last friday- but they assure me they'll have my negs
back for me tomorrow- if they don't screw 'em up.

some of the good one will be posted up in sandy's live performance gallery.

-> BTW lilady -mission accomplished. you are now the owner
of two sept 20 jayhawks tickets with the cool first avenue logo
on them. no generic ticketbastard crap for you.

LiladyK
08-11-2003, 08:03 PM
Well, yer welcome Cootner.... but, I just speak from experience of what I've seen....about the pics:o :cool:

AND thanx a billion 4 pickin' up our First Ave. tix!! We've done it...we've foiled ticketbastard!!!

BAWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :eek:

Haggischomper
08-15-2003, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Sue B
WOW. This seems reason enough to move to Chicago or Minneapolis. :)

No. Reason enough is that I will be moving to Chicago in April. :D